Wheelie bins

Started by painbrook, April 17, 2013, 04:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

The story was that China is landfilling a lot, as they are expanding and need level building land. Considering what we are allowed to put in the recycling bin (virtually everything originally made from paper, plastic or metal), compared to the next door council, who are very restrictive, I imagine there is a fair amount of junk in there. We still get the odd bin not collected, due to polystyrene in them or nappies (!), but mostly all collected.

EtchedPixels

chuckle.. you use local material and not landfill squishy stuff that then builds up gas and shrinks and breaks down as it degrades. Ask a builder about buying new build houses on old waste tips  :D
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Kipper

Tell that to the firm that built my last house on an old airdrome. Failed to ground test all over, and missed an underground blockhouse. Built some of the houses part over the blockhouse and part over the ground. Net result was settlement on the ground side and total subsidence of four houses. All had to be demolished, with full cash compo, and we all moved elsewhere. The airdrome was built on a pre-war tip.

painbrook

Not a new thing then, the war office not getting planning permission :smiley-laughing:. Cheers john.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: painbrook on April 23, 2013, 07:05:10 PM
Not a new thing then, the war office not getting planning permission :smiley-laughing:. Cheers john.

Well can you imagine how long it would take to do the paperwork and apply for all that foreign demolition work they did  :help:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Belated

Know what you mean about bins. :laugh:

We have a black (general waste) and a brown (garden waste) wheelie bin, emptied alternate weeks.  Then every week we have boxes for 1)plastic + metal 2)glass 3)paper + card and the 4)waste food, which is half the size of the other boxes.  Since plastic includes all plastic packaging, that gets filled to overflowing because of all the food packaging.  Paper and card is often full as well - usually junk mail!

So far (15 months) the only time they weren't collected was when we had heavy snow and I guess the bin men were out clearing snow/gritting/etc.  However, I have been warned (by family) that if I put out something they don't like, they will just leave it and not collect that item again until I ring the council - to apologise I suppose.

Biggest headache for me is that the roadside where we are to leave the bins is over 100 feet down a drive from the house.  When you have mobility problems, that's a fair old distance, lol.  So we use Kath's mobility scoter to tow a garden truck carrying the boxes and bins down the drive.

John
John

OwL

Quote from: H on April 22, 2013, 10:16:06 AM
Obviously people are throwing away too much these days.  :D

There was a time when just one small silvery metal round profile dustbin was sufficient for all of a household's weekly waste. Now it seems we need at least three huge plastic bins, several bags and a food container. I'm amazed that it seems that some families now can't even manage to get all their recylable waste in to one massive wheelie-bin and leave the lid up with rubbish overflowing the path.

H.

Welcome to Mordor >:D you Shire dwelling Hobbits of middle earth have much to learn about waste disposal on mount doom :veryangry: :hmmm: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

painbrook

Couple of questions for the boffins, super market plastic black trays that contain fresh meat often show no 'recycle mark', can they be recycled, and if not why not?. Secondly, we now use the same bin for plastic and metal, so how do they process that bin?. Sadly I'm beging to think of other questions :worried: :(.Cheers john.

Newportnobby

Sadly there are still many plastic trays for foodstuffs that are not made of recycleable materials. These seem particularly prevalent in the 'ready meal' category :thumbsdown:
I'm no boffin when it comes to recycling, but we have to put plastics, metals and glass in the same blue wheelie bin. I can only imagine they use magnets and centrifuges to sort the materials out ???

painbrook

. I can only imagine they use magnets and centrifuges to sort the materials out . Thats why I'm wondering, magnets are of no use for the majority of cans/tins there not magnetic, or is there something I don't know? :worried:.Cheers john.

Sprintex

Google is your friend ;)

What Happens to Mixed Recycling

Having posted that it must be cheaper and easier if it is sorted by the original user (ie, you and me ;) ), otherwise why would we have so many different bins/boxes to separate stuff, with each material going into a different receptacle on the truck? When they collect recyclables round here the brown wheelie bin (cardboard/garden waste) gets emptied into the main storage, the small box for cans/glass goes into one side bin of the truck, and the box fornewspapers, etc goes into the other side bin :thumbsup:

Paul

EtchedPixels

Is it just me or does mixed recycling look an awful lot like school dinner

Newportnobby

Quote from: EtchedPixels on May 04, 2013, 02:55:49 PM
Is it just me or does mixed recycling look an awful lot like school dinner

Yup - it's self perpetuating recycling :sick: :poop:

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £0.00
Below Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
 0%