!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 43 / HST  (Read 63719 times)

Offline pontybermo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 43 / HST
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2011, 05:34:28 PM »
Just been testing a 2+7 car hst I've put together from Dapol and I'm a bit disappointed that the train keeps dividing whilst running.  My Grafar 47 and mk1s perform like a dream so I'm not convinced its all the track's fault.  Any ideas?

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
i had that problem...

do some coaches have buffers and some without? maybe that's the problem????

cheers

tim

Offline Sprintex

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: CLOSED
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2011, 06:53:23 PM »
Check you don't have a coupling 'sticking' at a slight angle, have found this a few times with various coaches/wagons  ;)

I bought an IC Swallow Dapol HST just before christmas, had a slight issue with the dummy unit in that when it was being pushed the leading bogie would move backwards in the chassis. This meant it was now at an angle causing the rear wheels to lift up and ride over the rail, resulting in a derailment. After much headscratching, examining, and trying different 'tweaks' I found that it was dependent on the pickups the bogie rests on. Once I adjusted these it sat perfectly flat and haven't had a problem since  :)

So apart from that little hiccup I'm well pleased with the model, certainly an improvement over the GF one and the lights are fantastic  :thumbsup:

Paul

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2011, 06:54:23 PM »
What couplers does it have? A spot of Greas-em might help.

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2011, 08:37:41 PM »
I have the FGW with 5 coaches and occasionally a couple of the coaches split off from the rest of the train. My thoughts were that the couplers were at slightly different heights. Would using the alternative couplers provided be better or worse?
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2011, 08:58:13 PM »
I have the FGW with 5 coaches and occasionally a couple of the coaches split off from the rest of the train. My thoughts were that the couplers were at slightly different heights. Would using the alternative couplers provided be better or worse?

You probably want to check why they are different heights - they shouldn't be. It could be a spot of flash on one of the couplings or it not sitting nicely in the pocket so worth checking.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Zunnan

• N Gauge Society Number: 17178
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »
I found that the NEM pockets on the power car and dummy were mounted higher than the NEM pockets sit on the Mk3 coaches, some of which were so low that the moulded pin on the rapido coupler fouled on points. Mine mostly ran with the power car pushing the train as otherwise it wouldn't manage a lap of the layout without uncoupling. I had the same problem with the loco hauled Mk3 couplings, to get them to run with a Farish RU in the formation I had to bend the NEM shanks so that the rapidos tilted slightly upwards. I can't say I found any escessive flashing causing the NEM pockets to be pushed so low, the design of the cam itself wouldn't allow that to happen without noticably distorting the whole end of the coach chassis.
Like a Phoenix from the ashes...morelike a rotten old Dog Bone

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »
I have a dummy power car where the coupling sits lower than any mk3 coach that I couple to it, any ideas on how to improve this would be welcome....

Mark

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 11:21:10 PM »
If its a Dapol one with NEM couplers then pull out the NEM coupler and check it has no extra bits on the moulding and slot it back - cleaning any bits off helps (if you are not sure what *should* be there don't remove anything but check with another coupling!)
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline pontybermo

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »
Thanks guys.  Since I posted its been performing perfectly so I haven't tinkered with the couplings at all but I will keep the info in case the problems return.

Mark

Offline GT VIRUS

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2012, 03:33:20 PM »
I can't work this out, but my HST seems slow compared to other loco's, particually my gf's GraFar B1's. I'm wondering if this could be an issue, or possibly by design for more prototypical speeds :S It gets mullered by the Kato's at my club, which is dissapointing as it means I can't really run it there.

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
I can't work this out, but my HST seems slow compared to other loco's, particually my gf's GraFar B1's. I'm wondering if this could be an issue, or possibly by design for more prototypical speeds :S It gets mullered by the Kato's at my club, which is dissapointing as it means I can't really run it there.

I had this with the first one I got (Blue grey) - it only ran at a scale ~65mph at top whack. This was clearly faulty as it also drew a huge current (300mA) and got very hot. The second one I got (Virgin) was better - though still slower than I'd like.

I've heard a couple of reports of slow runners and they've all been the blue-grey ones, so do wonder if some of that particular batch had duff motors.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline GT VIRUS

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2012, 11:37:48 PM »
I have an Intercity swallow, and it doesn't seem too hot :S Maybe these overspeed kato's are just playing with my head :P

Offline polo2k

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 02:05:06 AM »
Without raining on parades here, is it all about top speed?

Is it possible that the other trains are traveling way to fast? I know someone said they do 65MPH, BUT thats dependant on the distance between stations, I.e. If you have a 4x8 layout, then how long does it take between stations?

If the passengers are seeing waiting rooms every 15 seconds, id be more worried about spew bags LOL
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Offline Mustermark

• N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 02:21:42 AM »
I see what youre saying Polo, but i do think theres a lot to be said for the fast train zipping through on platform 4. My Dapol FGW looks the business as its nose hurtles through on the non-stop service.  Scale speed is about 100 at not quite top speed and it just isnt the same slowed down.

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal