!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol - Class 43 / HST  (Read 63717 times)

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
Dapol - Class 43 / HST
« on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:53 PM »
post reviews here.....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:12:58 PM by Tank, Reason: Title »

Offline Elvinley

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Dapol - Class 43 / HST
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 12:34:13 AM »
Let's hope it's a sign of better things to come from them mechanism wise.

Offline MJKERR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: X23832
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
One thing you do notice though is that the Mk3 coaches released in Swallow livery some time ago are a completely different colour to the ones supplied in the HST book set, see pic below.

No tricks of the light, no photoshopping. The dark band of the original release Mk3 coaches is visibly lighter than the coaches and power cars, the roof is also a much lighter shade as is the First class yellow band

Could you post the coach numbers
I can then check whether they are Executive Dark Grey or Falcon Grey
Remember the earlier INTERCITY swallow was Dark Grey, which was the replaced by Falcon Grey

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 12:15:51 PM »
This one is something almost unheard of from Dapol in my experience - I've left it running for 3 hours and there is NO heat eminating from the motor, the lighting works as intended, theres no grinding noises from the drivetrain even when running on my tightest storage loop of 1st radius curvature, its scale top speed on full throttle is as near as makes no difference 120mph.

Is that really enough? I'd prefer to have additional speed to allow it to cope with gradients and suchlike, like my Kato Eurostar has.

I will go as far as saying its about as good as you could possibly ask for, the one I have is mechanically on par with Kato models, I can't find a single mechanical or electrical fault on it at all! Although I did have to open up 6 of them for testing in two different shops before finding this gem. :o

What was wrong with the 6 others....? Sounds worrying if in your experience 1 in 7 is good....

(I've already sent one back btw - overheating and scale speed of about 60 at top end)

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
would it make sense to save the executive dark grey coaches to insert into the executive livery set that is due out soon? just a simple relettering job and paint the roofs black to match.

Then purchase the matching second class coaches nc212a/b that Dapol have said are being released this month that are correct for the swallow livery HST. That should give you a 5car swallow and blue/grey set and 4 car executive livery set. Add in the buffet and TGS would make 7 car blue/grey and swallow sets and 6 car executive set. Dapol have previously announced two extra second class coaches for all 3 liveries, hopefully they will keep to this and the extra first class for the swallow livery set (nc220b) which they say will be available in february.

I used Halfords satin black which i thought is a good match for the roof colour, £6.40 a tin.

I'm well impressed with both the sets I have, so much so that I'm trying to persuade SWMBO that the executive set is priority number one in our house! No problems with paint runs, a litle bit of uneveness round the nose lines on the swallow set which is only really noticeable through a magnifier or really close up.

Thanks for the review Zunnan, better than I could've done.

Mark

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+36)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
just a silly question, but when my blue/grey set arrived I found two additional roof panels in the box. no guidance as to when these were fitted.

so e-mailed Dapol and asked the simple question.

so far, still waiting for a reply, so I assume they can't be bothered.

can anybody give any guidance as to when these were fitted ?

thanks in advance.

typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:25:27 AM »
just a silly question, but when my blue/grey set arrived I found two additional roof panels in the box. no guidance as to when these were fitted.

so e-mailed Dapol and asked the simple question.

so far, still waiting for a reply, so I assume they can't be bothered.

can anybody give any guidance as to when these were fitted ?

thanks in advance.

On the roof 8)

When they first appeared the HST sets had terrible problems with exhaust fumes running down the centre of the trailing car nose. They all used to have this dark stripe down it if you look at photos. This also caused problems with the windscreen and visibility so they were fitted with roof mods to fix the problem. Compare a photo of an HST in the early days with a current one (or compare the Dapol blue roof with the Farish later ones) and you should be able to see where it goes.

Whether you need it depends on the year modelled, I can't remember when the switch occurred
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »
The roof mounted exhaust deflectors were fitted early in the career of the HST,iirc before all the power cars were finished being built. I just checked the pictures I have and in 1980 most never had roof deflectors but by 1982 most did.

If you offer up the deflector to the roof, it sits with the exhaust ports through the holes in the deflector with the front end level with the back edge of the yellow cab roof panel.
I applied a tiny amount of superglue to the four corners of the roof deflector and secured it in position on mine.
The fact that all the pictures show the blue/grey Dapol HST without deflectors fitted nearly made me avoid buying one, until I found out from H on this forum that the deflectors are included in the detail pack. Then it took me ages to pluck up the courage to fit the deflectors themselves.

HTH

Mark

Online class37025

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »
many thanks for that Scruff.

a clear and concise answer to the question of WHEN they were fitted.

I had actually managed to work out that they went on the roof, it kept derailling with them underneath !!!

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 11:08:16 PM »
I picked up the executive livery HST today. SWMBO suggested it!

First impressions, great livery on the power cars. the two coaches, TS 42284 and TF 41029 are not in executive livery but match the swallow livery set. It runs like a dream in both directions, from a crawl to as fast as I'd want it to go.
 When I compared the power car livery to photo's of the real thing I found the white stripe around the nose end is a little too low because there should be a yellow area between the front lights and the white stripe. It is also possible that the red and white stripe at the rear of the power car is correspondingly low although the height of the red/white stripe matches the early releases of the coaches in swallow livery. The red/white stripe on the new release coaches seems to be a fraction higher and matches the swallow liveried power cars.
The dark grey on the power cars seems to be darker than the 3 original release coaches and a better match to the later release coaches.

In my opinion the best finish is the blue grey set providing you spray the roofs black, closely followed by the swallow and executive sets. I'm dissappointed that the executive set never came with executive livery coaches. I notice Hattons are advertising 2 of each TS coaches in blue/grey, swallow and executive livery, hopefully these will be correct.

The HST is a superb model, let down slightly by minor livery errors but I'd give it 95%.

Mark

Online class37025

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 01:14:20 AM »
with the problems with the exec livery perhaps the best option is to match the power cars to a blue / grey coach set.

when dapol first announced these, and released the coaches, they were listing the book sets of two power cars and FO + SO, and also sets of two power cars with different numbers.

I got the coaches to make up two blue / grey sets, with the buffets still on order, then dapol 'discontinued' the power cars sets only, so I now have a spare full set.

makes you wonder if they actively work to p**s off their customers, or if it comes naturally to them.

they seem to ignore any e-mails you send them, even if asking for quite simple info, announce stuff they don't produce, and seem to have no concept of releasing items together, ie the hst + coaches + buffet at the same time, and as said elsewhere they seem to be totally ignoreing the lack of a tgs.

put this alongside the comments members are making on here about the quality [or lack thereof] of some of their items and I thank god for Bachmann and Farish !!

rant over

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
I'm not sure if Farish should be put on a pedestal, I think all manufacturers drop clangers every now and again. I just wish they would double check that what they produce is correct as far as practicable and stop the daft mistakes creeping in. I.e. look at photo's!
I do agree with the bit about releasing all the train close together, I now need 5 buffet cars and 3 TGS and I'd love to complete the sets.
When all is said and done I think the quality of the new items that are coming through now are light years ahead of what we had a few years ago and we should be encouraging both manufacturers to push the boundaries and give us more!

Mark

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 07:02:55 PM »
Zunnan, that was my thoughts exactly  :o , but looking on the bright side at least there are enough coaches to make up a full swallow livery set now! :thumbsup: We just need to wait for the TGS and buffet now.  :wave:
Dapol have been asked on Facebook about the correct executive livery coaches and they said they will reply when the appropriate person comes back from holiday.
Mark

Offline bluedepot

• Trade Count: (+8)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 07:24:33 PM »
i now have a 5 car intercity swallow HST set, so i need a TGS, Buffet and ideally another 2nd as well...

mine runs well so far so can't complain about that at all...

it is strange that the latest coaches came with buffers but i will cut them off anyway...

i think the mk3 coaches look excellent

tim

Offline scruff

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 10:34:52 PM »
I agree Tim,

The matching coaches i have in my swallow liveried rake are, 2 from the swallow livery set, 2 from the executive HST set and the 2 spare coaches, nc212, which means I, like yourself still need the buffet and TGS.
Dapol have said the buffet should be out in november/december.
HTH
Mark

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal