!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills locos - photos  (Read 80930 times)

Offline Bigmac

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills locos - photos
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2016, 10:18:02 PM »
Getting away from the economics and finance,  another nice thing about Union Mills is they do unusual prototypes that you can't get anywhere else.

?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Offline R Marshall

• N Gauge Society Number: 24052
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:17 PM »
Getting away from the economics and finance,  another nice thing about Union Mills is they do unusual prototypes that you can't get anywhere else.

I agree wholeheartedly - D20, J25/6/7 - tremendous potential in these with just a little work. The SR machines too bring some much needed variety, to mention just one other region. Where else can you get ready to run models of these types. I can't really justify a B12 or a D16, but I'm tempted!

I've got Farish and Dapol models, but my D20 and pair of J26s are favourites by far.

Regards,

Roy

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2016, 01:09:36 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly - D20, J25/6/7 - tremendous potential in these with just a little work.

Going the whole hog in terms of superdetailing shows the fundamental soundness of the base models (apart from the original D20s which sat high) - my D20:

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline msr

• Trade Count: (+17)
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: August 22, 2016, 02:34:16 PM »
A bunch of secondhand Union Mills locos has just gone on sale at Hattons, if you are interested:
http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/preowned.aspx?utm_source=ehattons.com&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=ehattonsredirect

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #184 on: August 22, 2016, 03:03:00 PM »
Thanks for the info - appears to be 7 locos on offer.

Especially handy info if you are modelling LNER region.

Dave G

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #185 on: August 22, 2016, 03:10:51 PM »
Prices for secondhand are excessive - when postage added they'll be the same or slightly more than a brand new loco from UM....

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: August 22, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »
That's something that that ALLWAYS puzzles me with EBay  there was once a NGS snowplough on there went for Silly  money , you could have joined the NGS for three or four years ,paid for the plough and still had enough left for a few pints .
People do get into a bidding frenzy on EBay,but why pay over the odds for something  second hand from a shop when you can buy it brand new from the manufacturer, it beats me.
Bob

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: August 22, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
Didn't actually look at the prices, Dr Al but I'm sure you're not wrong.

I don't have a current UM list so not aware if the Hattons offerings are still available direct from Colin.

Dave G

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #188 on: August 22, 2016, 03:23:32 PM »
People do get into a bidding frenzy on EBay,but why pay over the odds for something  second hand from a shop when you can buy it brand new from the manufacturer, it beats me.
Bob

This is Hattons -  it seems like big retailers like Hattons and Rails have just crazy secondhand prices (how about 3 Farish Mk1 mail coaches from rails for £109 secondhand from Rails!!). Buying secondhand UM for £65-70 when they are £69 new seems utterly pointless unless they are out of stock at UM or have had something magnificent done to them (or been DCC fitted ).

But people must be buying them at these prices.....  :doh:  :doh:

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »
Didn't actually look at the prices, Dr Al but I'm sure you're not wrong.

I don't have a current UM list so not aware if the Hattons offerings are still available direct from Colin.

Dave G

The most recent list I've seen had all of them available new. Might not be true right at this moment in time, but seems a good chance Colin'll have it new.

Cheers,
Alan

Online NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »
But people must be buying them at these prices.....  :doh:  :doh:

Hattons varies wildly. I've gotten some very decent stuff from them in the past. Lots of Dogfish wagons for around £7-8, which is A LOT less than they go for on eBay and the like. I check their website every day, and over the years have been very pleased with what I've bought, but I agree, some stuff does seem pricey.

Rails, on the other hand, never seems well priced. Yet to buy anything secondhand from them. Plus, their eBay store is only marginally less confusing than their actual online store -- whereas Hattons is extremely easy to use, and hence my "big box" retailer of choice.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2016, 03:32:21 PM »
Rails, on the other hand, never seems well priced. Yet to buy anything secondhand from them.

I'd agree - I still buy new from them as they often offer freepost on new releases, therefore undercutting Hattons. But a few years back their secondhand store just got super-greedy - they used to stick everything up 99p start and no reserve. Now it's crazy money fixed price, where, in some cases, a respectable offer would be half that (so I don't bother).

I don't know what in the market has fuelled this, but clearly people are still buying it.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2016, 07:36:14 PM »
Regarding Hatton's pre-owned items I'd agree most on offer are priced too high.  But having said that, I have personally found some genuine bargains.  Most recently (past couple months) were:

1.) A new Class 25/2 for £74 (these were £85 new when released)
http://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=213763
and
2.) A new weathered Hymek + 6 weathered milk tanks set for £105 (this set sold for £119 when released)
http://www.hattons.co.uk/stockdetail.aspx?SID=219102

Both of those were listed as "like new" but when received they were clearly brand new.  While they might have been second hand, I could tell they'd never been run.  Both turned out to be excellent.  In particular, the Hymek (which was from an early run in 2008 which was spotty) turned out to be well assembled and a superb runner, and the supposedly "imperfect box" it came in was actually in mint condition (go figure).

So genuine bargains can be had.  The recently listed set of UM locos, however, are not bargains.

Matt
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 07:41:17 PM by oreamnos »

Offline painbrook

• Awards
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2016, 09:02:33 PM »
Always phone Colin before buying, I recently bought a Q2 that has not been advertised for a while. cheers john.

Online Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2016, 09:14:18 PM »
Colin has in the past supplied me with a T9 loco just finished in Primer which I wanted to hack into a narrow cab version with 8 wheel tender (see my sig below) obviously had to wait until a new batch came out.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal