!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills locos - photos  (Read 81180 times)

Offline Portpatrick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills locos - photos
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »
I just remembered, he also did the Fowler "Austin 7" 7F 080.  Not in current list, so definitely an EBay one for now.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »
The thing to watch for on Ebay is the seller who appears to buy up a number of UM locos and hold onto them until they are sold out , then list them at a price considerably above the original. Much better to wait for Colin to run another batch and get them at the proper price.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Online msr

• Trade Count: (+17)
    • Awards
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »
And with a little imagination and a few bits from N Brass you can convert some of the other UM locos into LMS prototypes, for instance the Drummond 395 into a Midland Railway Johnson Class J2 with long round firebox:

or a Midland Rly Seagull converted from a UM D20 loco married to a Webb 'Cauliflower' tender:

Conversion to DCC can be tricky but people like Wickness Models can help you out should you have the need.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2016, 01:04:04 PM »
I'm finding it very hard to resist buying my first Union Mills loco.

the problems is being an LMS fan, which of the brilliant selection of LMS machines do I go for first (yes I have a feeling I may get more than one)  >:D

You won't regret it, PP.

I've just the one (so far) - a SR T9. Despite the lack of the ultra-fine detail you get from the major players, it's a lovely model and am very pleased with its looks and performance.

Dave G

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #154 on: August 12, 2016, 01:41:34 PM »
I'm finding it very hard to resist buying my first Union Mills loco.

the problems is being an LMS fan, which of the brilliant selection of LMS machines do I go for first (yes I have a feeling I may get more than one)  >:D

I've also got a G2, 2P & 3F. Once you get one then you probably will want more.

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
Made on the Isle of Man, which I can never recall whether it's part of the UK or some wierd historical entity like the Channel Islands.

Thanks!  That's good news.

Yes, I'm not sure if the Isle of Man is it's own entity or not, but I suspect it's part of the UK.  I believe it's the real-life Sodor, where the Thomas series is based.

How are their prices compared to GF or Dapol ... sounds as if they might be the same or slightly cheaper?  (But, if this is a smaller, hand-crafted, business, then I realize the prices will probably be higher.)

At any rate, I'm very curious & have just emailed Colin asking for a price list or catalog.

Cheers, Rob
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 01:53:48 PM by GreenDiesel »

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2016, 03:05:40 PM »
At some point, I would like to get a small LMS loco -- 3F, 4F, etc. -- do they have anything in the 30-60 range? as I'm on a budget. Maybe eBay is the better option?  Rob

Offline talisman56

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23209
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2016, 03:46:16 PM »
According to the latest price list I've seen (January this year), the 2Fs and 3Fs are 69.
My inspiration - never let a setback get you down...

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »
I'm eagerly awaiting the next announcement of a new Great Western loco. Sounds like a Christmas present in waiting.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2016, 06:46:33 PM »
At some point, I would like to get a small LMS loco -- 3F, 4F, etc. -- do they have anything in the 30-60 range? as I'm on a budget. Maybe eBay is the better option?  Rob

Secondhand Union Mills rarely go for less than 60, but if you keep an eye out at Hattons you do seem flurries of them appear from time to time, usually for less than eBay. I prefer Hattons for secondhand locos because if the model doesn't work, they'll refund you without too much fuss (they extend a 6-month warranty to secondhand items).

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: August 12, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
Secondhand Union Mills rarely go for less than 60, but if you keep an eye out at Hattons you do seem flurries of them appear from time to time, usually for less than eBay. I prefer Hattons for secondhand locos because if the model doesn't work, they'll refund you without too much fuss (they extend a 6-month warranty to secondhand items).
Cheers, NeMo

Thanks for this info, NeMo.  Yes, I like Hattons and Rails of Sheffield now, more so than eBay. So I'll just save my shekels for now and consider getting a 3F or something similar.

On a slightly different topic, is Union Mills basically a small "cottage" industry? It almost sounds like a one-person or family-run operation. I'm wondering how they can compete with GF and Dapol?

Cheers, Rob

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2016, 10:26:45 AM »
Yes Rob Union Mills Models are a one man cottage firm run by a very nice man Colin Heard who if I remember correctly used to be a designer at Peco he usually produces one model in two or more liveries every year we are all waiting with bated breath to see which GWR loco he will produce next after the very nice Dean Goods .All his models are very basic with moulded hand rails and no fancy brake gear etc but will pull allmost anything you put behind them ,and really good prices too.
He provides an excellent service if you order on the phone with card payment you get your model in the post next morning,and in the very rare event you have a failure you get very good service as well,One of my mates accidenty changed a point under a loco and never realised it he left the power on and it burnt out the motor ,I asked Colin how much a motor was ,when I told him it was one of the first Locos he made several years ago he told me he no longer had those motors and was useing a totally diferent motor and to send the whole loco back to him ,two days later had a call and he said it will cost 10 next day a parcel arrived and he had fitted a brand new tender with the latest twin shaft motor,How's that for service.
I must add I have no connection with UMM only as a very very happy customer.
Bob

Offline GreenDiesel

• Awards
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2016, 03:03:06 PM »
Excellent. Thanks for this feedback. It almost sounds too good to be true. It's great that these are not produced overseas and are more local. Reliable and strong running power is also more important to me than
lots of extra fine detail, and I'm pleased that the prices are reasonable as well. I think I'm going to save up for one. Do you have his phone number and I trust he ship overseas, as I live in Toronto. Cheers, Rob

Offline mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »
Union Mills - ''the philatelist's friend ''   :D

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2016, 04:09:44 PM »
Union Mills - ''the philatelist's friend ''   :D
I'll second that  :) :)
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal