!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Union Mills locos - photos  (Read 74825 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Union Mills locos - photos
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »
All lovely looking models, but I'm afraid the only thing that really puts me off is diameter of the wheel flanges.....

The flanges aren't that deep - it's just the silver rims that make them look a bit toytown. You can paint these and improve it all a lot - for example the J39 on the right has had this done (amongst other things):

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Thorpe Parva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2016, 01:55:53 PM »
Phoned an order to Colin yesterday afternoon and these arrived in the post this morning...

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

I forgot to add that one reason for purchasing these was that 40543 was a Leicester Midland loco & was one of the first locos that I 'spotted' in my trainspotting days which started in the late 1950s.

I model the Midland Line in the Transition era so both locos are appropriate although I already have more locos than I need.

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
Are there any UM locomotives which would have been puttering around the Birmingham/West Midlands area in the BR era? My kettle knowledge is pitiful but acquiring a UM loco is on my bucket list and if possible I'd like to have one which might fit in with some layout plans I have.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline Tdm

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2016, 02:22:12 PM »
Are there any UM locomotives which would have been puttering around the Birmingham/West Midlands area in the BR era? My kettle knowledge is pitiful but acquiring a UM loco is on my bucket list and if possible I'd like to have one which might fit in with some layout plans I have.

Have you looked at this site which has photos of most Union Mills models :-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=union+mills+models&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rW3iU_CJB4O60QXQ8IDgCg&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1093&bih=434

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2016, 02:25:14 PM »

The G2 definitely.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2016, 02:40:34 PM »

Have you looked at this site which has photos of most Union Mills models :-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=union+mills+models&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rW3iU_CJB4O60QXQ8IDgCg&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1093&bih=434

The problem is even if I known the type or what it looks like, I have virtually no inkling of what would have run where when... Hence the question...

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2016, 02:43:41 PM »

The G2 definitely.

Cheers,
Alan

Excellent, thanks! Here's one puttering into New Street:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrbns_br2922.htm

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
The problem is even if I known the type or what it looks like, I have virtually no inkling of what would have run where when... Hence the question...

Have a look on youtube at some of the archive footage from the 1960s in the Birmingham area (quite a bit at Snow hill) for inspiration.

Cheers,
Alan

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2016, 03:22:41 PM »

Have a look on youtube at some of the archive footage from the 1960s in the Birmingham area (quite a bit at Snow hill) for inspiration.

Ah yes, London Tube Stock ;)

Offline Thorpe Parva

• N Gauge Society Number: 21786
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2016, 03:41:59 PM »

I can only comment on LMR locos but certainly the following would all have been seen around Birmingham as all were allocated to Sheds in the Birmingham area...2P, 2F, 3F, G2. There might have been the occasional visit from a Fowler 7F as these were mainly allocated to sheds in Lancashire.

Cauliflowers would also have been seen as at least one was allocated to a West Midlands shed in BR Days but I believe that all of this class were scrapped by 1955.

According to the Stock List that Colin sent with my locos he doesn't current have any G2 or 7F in stock and does not have a 2F in BR Black. So the two locos that I have just received are your best bets. I also have a Union Mills G2 and that is a superb loco.

Hope this helps.

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2016, 03:46:18 PM »
Gaah, that Flying Scotschappie too. And Sir Winnie. Where will the madness end?

Online railsquid

• Awards
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2016, 03:50:09 PM »

I can only comment on LMR locos but certainly the following would all have been seen around Birmingham as all were allocated to Sheds in the Birmingham area...2P, 2F, 3F, G2. There might have been the occasional visit from a Fowler 7F as these were mainly allocated to sheds in Lancashire.

Cauliflowers would also have been seen as at least one was allocated to a West Midlands shed in BR Days but I believe that all of this class were scrapped by 1955.

According to the Stock List that Colin sent with my locos he doesn't current have any G2 or 7F in stock and does not have a 2F in BR Black. So the two locos that I have just received are your best bets. I also have a Union Mills G2 and that is a superb loco.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll investigate. Actually I have a reasonable chance of identifying grouping-era kettles and BR standard classes, but the UM stuff is really off my radar.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2016, 03:53:16 PM »
Thanks, I'll investigate. Actually I have a reasonable chance of identifying grouping-era kettles and BR standard classes, but the UM stuff is really off my radar.

2P:

2F:

3F:

7F:

HTH,
Alan

Offline johnlambert

• N Gauge Society Number: 23717
    • Awards
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2016, 05:52:32 PM »

7F:

HTH,
Alan

Here's a 7F at Warwick, travelling towards Birmingham.
http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrw388.htm

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »
 :greatpicturessign:

Thanks.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00