!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons  (Read 50386 times)

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
Re: Hattons
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »

but hey, lots more box shifters out there. and it certainly doesn't seem from the posts on here that I'm the only one having problems.

Problem is, people are moving away from Rails of Sheffield in protest at their recent website change which is not to everyone's taste. If you live in the UK and don't pay via paypal I can recommend TrackShack in the I.o.M. who give next day delivery and their prices are very competitive. I have used Hattons probably twice in 20 years but am still happy with Rails, especially as I've trained my rellies to get me vouchers for Christmas/birthdays :D

I can't speak for everyone, but I haven't moved away from Rails in protest, merely because I can't find anything on their damn website. I will also vouch for TrackShack, fast, competitive, helpful.

Some may remember the revamp that the Signal Box had - about two months before they went bust because their new website was rubbish.

Hattons have messed up a fair few of my orders too, to the point where I have also cancelled many of my pre-orders in order to get them elsewhere - if I see a better deal.

Rails new website is also rubbish, but at the moment they give me better service than Hattons. A loco that didn't work from the box - no problem - we will email you a return postage label. Fantastic. You have to ask at Hattons for postage to be refunded. Rails are cheaper with many models, sale or not, and often free postage on new locos  too, which craftily circumvents the "only 15% discount allowed" malarkey from the main cartel players.

Sorry - am I not allowed to say this is a cartel, both main players limiting discounts from box shifters equally?

Bob

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
Ordered a few bits from Osborn's earlier today. Barely an hour later, Michael emailed confirming despatch of all but one - out of stock - item which would follow ASAP. :thumbsup: Works for me.

And delivered today! :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline Arrachogaidh

• N Gauge Society Number: 8539
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2017, 11:59:07 PM »
Just to set the record straight and give a little support to Hatton's on this rather pernicious thread, they are not the only company that does not have a fully functioning accurate on-line replicated stock control system.

Many other retailers FAIL in this respect. I will not name names but it happens all the time. I have been a "VICTIM".

So folks should think twice or maybe even a hundred times before decrying any retailer for their inadequacies.

Worse things are happening n the world than a model being out of stock when it says in stock on a website.

Time to get a sense of reality and sensibility folks.

We all need N Gauge Retailers to survive, local High Street or Webcentric.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2017, 06:28:40 AM »
Some may remember the revamp that the Signal Box had - about two months before they went bust because their new website was rubbish.

Hang on a second Bob G -- if you're talking about the Signal Box in Rochester, the reason they went bust had little to do with their website. Their parent company, Modelzone, had overextended itself, bought too many premium retail sites, and when sales didn't match expectations, couldn't afford to cover its costs.

It would be fair to say that Modelzone had trouble competing online despite its size, but the Signal Box itself was doing okay. If you visit Invicta Models in Sidcup, the ladies and gents behind the counter there will happily give you the whole story. Besides being set up and run by former Signal Box staff, have also carried on the Signal Box's tradition of commissioning unique rolling stock and locomotives.

Cheers, NeMo

PS. I'm another one who finds Hattons more than adequate.
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #244 on: October 19, 2017, 11:54:34 AM »

Hang on a second Bob G -- if you're talking about the Signal Box in Rochester, the reason they went bust had little to do with their website. Their parent company, Modelzone, had overextended itself, bought too many premium retail sites, and when sales didn't match expectations, couldn't afford to cover its costs.

It would be fair to say that Modelzone had trouble competing online despite its size, but the Signal Box itself was doing okay. If you visit Invicta Models in Sidcup, the ladies and gents behind the counter there will happily give you the whole story. Besides being set up and run by former Signal Box staff, have also carried on the Signal Box's tradition of commissioning unique rolling stock and locomotives.

Cheers, NeMo

Hey @Nemo - that's two things I have learned today - that Signal Box was part of Modelzone, and that Invicta is the phoenix from their ashes. I always liked Signal Box, and I have used Invicta too.
But it remains true that a website that is impenetrable will stop you shopping there. And that is true of the last version of the Signal Box site, and the new Rails site, which wants to know your preferences so that it can target you with goodies. Half the fun of shopping (so my wife tells me) is finding something you didn't think you wanted!!! Targeted websites won't ever give you that. Hattons remains on my radar because they flag up when things are in stock, but the days of their brown paper packages tied up with string are a thing of the past.

Best regards
Bob

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: October 19, 2017, 12:09:32 PM »
@Bob G - "Half the fun of shopping (so my wife tells me) is finding something you didn't think you wanted!!!"

Only half? :hmmm: I would have said that was most of the fun.

:D :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #246 on: October 19, 2017, 12:16:33 PM »

Cheers, NeMo

Hey @Nemo - that's two things I have learned today - that Signal Box was part of Modelzone, and that Invicta is the phoenix from their ashes. I always liked Signal Box, and I have used Invicta too.
But it remains true that a website that is impenetrable will stop you shopping there. And that is true of the last version of the Signal Box site, and the new Rails site, which wants to know your preferences so that it can target you with goodies. Half the fun of shopping (so my wife tells me) is finding something you didn't think you wanted!!! Targeted websites won't ever give you that. Hattons remains on my radar because they flag up when things are in stock, but the days of their brown paper packages tied up with string are a thing of the past.

Best regards
Bob

Much of the above I wasn't aware of either. The impenetrable website statement is true. I enjoy spending a small amount of time (hours and hours, don't tell SWMBO!) just browsing. Probably 50% of my rolling stock was purchased by browsing, my most pleasing was a crimson Jubilee which I found just trawling through various websites. Rails is now impossible to browse constructively. I'm okay with Hattons, although I can appreciate the frustration if they can't 'be bothered to combine postage (I don't believe for one moment it's not possible just because "computer says no").

There was a load of stuff on Rails I was interested in, but now I can't seem to find half of it.

>:(

Let's hope someone from Hattons/Rails etc. is taking note.

:hmmm:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Bob G

• Awards
« Reply #247 on: October 19, 2017, 12:34:16 PM »
Rails seems to have put all its second hand stuff on EBay as Rails Vault - so there is automatically a 10% uplift in the price to pay for EBay's fees, and there is masses of it. If I were them, I'd reduce the stock significantly.
Hatton's second hand stuff is also substantial - but easier to search and I have noticed things sell quickly if they are desirable, although the prices are not far off discounted new prices.

Bob

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #248 on: October 19, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
Last Saturday afternoon I logged into my Rails account, searched out 3 items, ordered, paid and was out again in less than ½ an hour. Bearing in mind they weren't getting one of those items from Farish until Monday I received my parcel via Parcelforce yesterday early evening.
Now my computer skills are as good as my electrickery ones so if I can do it everyone else should be able to run rings round me.
I used to order a great deal from The Signal Box in Rochester and agree their website was pretty grim to use.

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: October 19, 2017, 07:45:45 PM »
Last Saturday afternoon I logged into my Rails account, searched out 3 items, ordered, paid and was out again in less than ½ an hour. Bearing in mind they weren't getting one of those items from Farish until Monday I received my parcel via Parcelforce yesterday early evening.
Now my computer skills are as good as my electrickery ones so if I can do it everyone else should be able to run rings round me.
I used to order a great deal from The Signal Box in Rochester and agree their website was pretty grim to use.
Not being rude, but what does this have to do with Hattons?

Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #250 on: October 19, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
Not being rude, but what does this have to do with Hattons?

Not rude at all, but my response was really in reply to post#240 above

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: October 31, 2017, 10:24:49 AM »
Received this from Hatton's on Wed 18th:

Hello

This is an automatically generated email to tell you that Dapol 2F-025-002 MJA Freightliner Heavy Haul Bogie Box Van Twin 502017 & 018 is now in stock and ready to purchase at http://www.hattons.co.uk/StockDetail.aspx?SID=74936 for £21.21.

You have been sent this email because you requested notification at http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/advance.aspx, which lists all products we have "On Order".

The product may not have images uploaded. If not, please check again later.

Regards
---------------------------------------------------
Hattons Model Railways
http://www.hattons.co.uk
0151 733 3655
Telephone lines manned Monday - Saturday 7am - 6pm Sun 9am-5pm
Shop open Monday - Saturday 9am - 5pm Sun 10am-4pm
---------------------------------------------------

:smiley-laughing: Speaks volumes for me of the current confused mess that is Hatton's IT Systems. I immediately asked for confirmation on the Dapol Digest - no reply there yet of course, but we all know what a joke that forum has become.
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: October 31, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »
Is there something dastardly going on at Hattons? :whisper:
In used stuff there has been no n-gauge option in the filter by scale for me in last couple of days.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline Dancess

• N Gauge Society Number: 4344
    • Awards
« Reply #253 on: October 31, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »
In used stuff there has been no n-gauge option in the filter by scale for me in last couple of days.

Same here, but if you are searching for a specific item then used ones are listed.
Building layout in attic - at last!!

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: October 31, 2017, 01:18:44 PM »
It must be a sinister plot. The N gauge stuff is still in there if you look, but new additions in all scales have been intermittent, which is annoying because when I open up the page I get momentarily excited by all kinds of stock I've never seen in N before, then realise it's all the 'Orribly O stuff.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:20:16 PM by railsquid »
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here