!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons  (Read 48722 times)

Offline daffy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
Re: Hattons
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2016, 08:33:53 PM »
I had a recent order from them that was longer on process than I expected, though this was not via PayPal.

Stock showed as 'in stock' but I was amused to see this line on the order and confirmation invoice:

DPD/Interlink Next Working Day with tracking. No guarantee on same day despatch.
( my underlining)

Maybe the best "Catch 22" I have come across for some time. A sign of order processing problems at Hattons perhaps?
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2016, 08:43:16 PM »
I think you are right Mike ah well there loss for future orders.
Geoff

Offline Byegad

• Account Suspended
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: October 26, 2016, 11:32:16 AM »
Yes similar issues with my last few orders from Hattons too. One order took nearly a week from placing to despatch. I emailed a couple of times then called them, to be told they were very busy, but would expedite my order. As I too had chosen next day delivery this went down like the proverbial lead balloon!

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: October 26, 2016, 11:42:33 AM »
Just had an email to state its out for shipping, I did talk to them last time and they told me to always tick the yodel box as they send out with yodel everyday but if you tick the post office box they only pick up a couple of times a week, seems strange.

No doubt a lot of Christmas orders will be coming in now especially with the price increases will be coming in November, I am starting to feel this hobby is getting to expensive.
Geoff

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2016, 11:55:19 AM »
Yes similar issues with my last few orders from Hattons too. One order took nearly a week from placing to despatch. I emailed a couple of times then called them, to be told they were very busy, but would expedite my order. As I too had chosen next day delivery this went down like the proverbial lead balloon!

Hi

Next day delivery means the next day after despatch not the day after you order.

I wonder how some people would cope with the old allow 28 days for delivery that used to be the norm before the Internet arrived.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #140 on: October 26, 2016, 12:06:48 PM »
I never use Yodel through experience and as they have such a poor record, but Hattons obviously need to get a better delivery collection from RM, or switch to someone else. After all, I have dealt with very small business that manage very well to do a proper 'Next Day' or 48hr delivery on in-stock items.
DPD, TNT, Hermes - all would be vying for the business so Hattons have no excuse for tardy delivery IMHO.

Re Yodel: the good TrustPilot website shows that out of 381 reviewers of Yodel, their overall rating is just 1.3 out of 10. Would you want your next expensive loco to be trusted to Yodel's hands? :hmmm:

Late edit: Paul, many companies now offer true 'Next Day' delivery on orders placed on in-stock items prior to a specified cut-off time, usually about 2pm or 3pm, though some far later. This is a mark of the competitive market we are in today. Yes, it used to be up to 28 days for delivery in the past, but those days are long gone. We are all used to far faster delivery times and Hattons need to keep with the game or risk customers like Geoff or myself choosing to shop elsewhere.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #141 on: October 26, 2016, 12:07:58 PM »

Hi

Next day delivery means the next day after despatch not the day after you order.

I wonder how some people would cope with the old allow 28 days for delivery that used to be the norm before the Internet arrived.

Cheers

Paul

Then we would know where we stood, but they try to impliment clever systems that do not work properly so maybe they should go back to 28 days.
Geoff

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #142 on: October 26, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »

Nice dose of reality there, @PaulCheffus:laughabovepost:

That said, when I started railway modelling serious a few years ago, Hattons really were very quick. If you ordered before lunch, chances were you'd get your stuff the following morning, or worst case, the next day. I wonder if they're a victim of their own success in some ways, getting so many orders now that it simply takes longer for things to be picked, packed up and posted.

Just ordered a couple bits this morning, so let's see...

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: October 26, 2016, 12:12:54 PM »
I never use Yodel through experience and as they have such a poor record, but Hattons obviously need to get a better delivery collection from RM, or switch to someone else. After all, I have dealt with very small business that manage very well to do a proper 'Next Day' or 48hr delivery on in-stock items.
DPD, TNT, Hermes - all would be vying for the business so Hattons have no excuse for tardy delivery IMHO.

Re Yodel: the good TrustPilot website shows that out of 381 reviewers of Yodel, their overall rating is just 1.3 out of 10. Would you want your next expensive loco to be trusted to Yodel's hands? :hmmm:

Late edit: Paul, many companies now offer true 'Next Day' delivery on orders placed on in-stock items prior to a specified cut-off time, usually about 2pm or 3pm, though some far later. This is a mark of the competitive market we are in today. Yes, it used to be up to 28 days for delivery in the past, but those days are long gone. We are all used to far faster delivery times and Hattons need to keep with the game or risk customers like Geoff or myself choosing to shop elsewhere.

Hi

How ridiculous that people can't wait a day or two for a delivery. The world has actually gone mad.

The other thing that has stuck me as odd is carriers delivering on a Sunday. Do we really need items that badly?

Cheers

Paul
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:16:22 PM by PaulCheffus »
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: October 26, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »
I believe that Hattons and others have experienced a surge of orders as a result of price increases being announced for many model railway items in various scales, and being implemented now.

Hattons have already explained the increase in orders from outside the UK as a result of the fall in the exchange value of the pound. When the price rises are applied this advantage will begin to diminish.

I would not expect them to recruit and train extra packing staff for the current "price increase" surge. It is in my nature not to let short term delays concern me, but I can understand that a couple of days delay can seem like a lifetime for some folk. I sent an email question to an international supplier a week ago and I am still waiting for the reply. I did have an automated response to confirm it had been received.
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: October 26, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »

Hi

How ridiculous that people can't wait a day or two for a delivery. The world has actually gone mad.

The other thing that has stuck me as odd is carriers delivering on a Sunday. Do we really need items that badly?

Cheers

Paul

No Paul, we really don't need stuff that badly, and Sunday deliveries are another sign of the mad rushing world we live in, but we make contracts with suppliers based upon the terms and conditions they offer. For me, living out in the sticks, it is nice to be able to get a reliable delivery so that I can arrange to be in when the delivery is made as it is known hereabouts for items to go missing (hence my dislike of Yodel). It matters not to me whether that contracted delivery is 'Next Day', '48 hour', or whatever, as long as I have notification when that delivery will arrive. Many companies do this via notifications on mobile phones and via email and other tracking services, so they are fine with me.

However, the point here is that a 'Next Day' delivery is what Hattons are offering (albeit with the aforementioned Catch22 caveat) so that is the contract they are offering and that is the contract they should honour. That way we complainants are not hanging about waiting for something that doesn't arrive and having to make phone calls or send emails to chase them.

BTW - I note that this problem of slow deliveries from Hattons has been aired lately on other Forums, even eliciting a reply from Richard Davies, MD of Hattons on one, RMWeb at the tail end of August, well before the current round of price increase notifications.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:39:00 PM by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #146 on: October 26, 2016, 12:43:15 PM »

Sunday (or Saturday) deliveries are very useful for those people who work Monday to Friday.

My Royal Mail chap is smart enough to hide the parcel somewhere in the front garden and then let me know by scribbling a note onto a letter he pops through the letter box. But the courier people (and Parcelforce) are much less sensible, and if you're not in, then you have to either re-arrange or traipse off somewhere miles away to get the package.

It's definitely handy to be able to arrange a weekend delivery when you or your partner can be in the house to get the parcel.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Byegad

• Account Suspended
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: October 26, 2016, 01:20:32 PM »
Being retired I'm not usually in a rush for deliveries, but I opted for a next day in order to fit in with a week where I was at the Doc's, Hospital, meeting friends and celebrating a friends birthday with a little trip out.

For the delivery to be delayed by Hattons not processing the order smacked of hypocrisy to say the least. Royal Mail have a 'local' office some 5 miles away which is open for customer inconvenience for a short period in the mornings, Mon-Fri, and an even shorter period on Saturday morning, so missing a delivery is not a small thing.

I too remember mail order where you posted a letter complete with postal order to the supplier and sme time, eventually, the item arrived in the post. Those days are gone, along with Sundays where the only shops that opened were newsagents. (For the Sunday morning only!)

Like it or not Hattons offered 'next day delivery' and it didn't arrive.

Offline carlstavros

• Awards
« Reply #148 on: October 30, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »
Evening all,

Seeing that Hattons seem to have taken a bit of a slating recently for poor delivery times I thought I'd share my recent experience.

I ordered two HST coaches from them late on Thursday night and they were delivered on Saturday, well packaged as usual. I paid via Paypal and selected the normal Parcel Force delivery option.

I'm well impressed and will certainly continue to use them! I was expecting a two week wait!

Cheers,
Carl.

Offline DELETED

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Expire
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2016, 07:13:44 PM »
Just to give a heads-up I have been trying to order on-line from Hattons for a week now and their on-line "add to basket" isn't working on firefox.  Your shopping cart remains empty despite enabling cookies and doing the usual housekeeping on the computer.  I've tried from 4 different machines running win 8.1 and win 10 (ironically we all use firefox). 

...They know about the issue (I've spoken to hattons a few times this week as never a problem before), but no reslution so far.

It's my own xmas presents -which a family member is going to reimburse me for (apart for the other half of the order I didn't tell them about :-[)  My bank card isn't fully covered for orders over the telephone but I'm fully protected for internet buys so I hope they get it sorted quickly :uneasy:

Rich
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:57:47 PM by RST »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00
Site Currency: GBP
66% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything