!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons  (Read 47830 times)

Online class37025

• Trade Count: (+33)
    • Awards
Re: Hattons
« Reply #300 on: September 22, 2018, 06:00:45 PM »
not too impressed, had a phone call the other day about some [please excuse foul language, they are for wargames, not railway] land rover 1t signals trucks.

turned out they couldn't charge my order, because the card listed was no longer linked to my account.
explained that when I pre ordered these it was, since expired, and new card now linked to account.

apparently the system is too 'stupid' to use my new card details, and it was up to me to go through any / all pre-orders to change the card details.

needless to say, not a happy bunny.
typed by fur box mechanic - dictated by brain on a chain

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #301 on: September 22, 2018, 06:10:47 PM »
Hardly seems long since they last rebuilt it.  Was it broken?

The previous iteration would never respond to 'PgUp' or 'PgDn' for me. :veryangry2:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline ten0G

• Awards
« Reply #302 on: September 22, 2018, 09:20:43 PM »
Definitely an improvement with a lot of filtering/search options.

However, I can't see any link to access the "product database homepage," which I have used to access their old photos and prices when considering their pre-owned items for their latest additions - which I try to check daily. 

Online daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #303 on: September 23, 2018, 08:55:52 AM »
Definitely an improvement with a lot of filtering/search options.

However, I can't see any link to access the "product database homepage," which I have used to access their old photos and prices when considering their pre-owned items for their latest additions - which I try to check daily.

I've used Google, searching with the old product code. That usually gets a decent result with a photo and quite often the original price. Don't know if the new website will somehow 'overwrite' the old records.

HTH

Dave G

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #304 on: October 10, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
Received from Hattons today - one Farish coach (box size 7" L x 2½" W x 1" H)
Hattons box size 10" L x 6" W x 4½" H
I thought at first my request for Red Cross parcels had been heeded and I'd be able to eat this month.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • James St
    • Awards
« Reply #305 on: October 10, 2018, 04:56:56 PM »
Rails of Sheffield seem to use a standard box size for OO and N items-I have often received an N gauge coach or loco in a box of about almost twice the size needed-but it does allow for plenty of packing material around the purchase!

Martyn

Offline PaulCheffus

• N Gauge Society Number: 4575
  • 2mm Association Number: 4172
    • Awards
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »
Received from Hattons today - one Farish coach (box size 7" L x 2½" W x 1" H)
Hattons box size 10" L x 6" W x 4½" H
I thought at first my request for Red Cross parcels had been heeded and I'd be able to eat this month.

Hi

This makes sense as you would stock the smallest number of box sizes you need and then you will be able to get better discount pricing by buying larger quantities of those sizes.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Offline Drakken

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Building Llanrumney
    • Awards
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2018, 05:12:39 PM »
I've ordered single wagon's and turned up in the same box as a three carriages. Guessing just cheaper to buy or easier overall to buy the same boxes week in, week out from the wholesale they purchase from :beers:

Offline keithfre

• N Gauge Society Number: 5036
    • Awards
« Reply #308 on: October 10, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
And a small box would be more likely to get lost in transit or overlooked, I would have thought.

Online dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #309 on: October 10, 2018, 09:37:48 PM »
a box of about almost twice the size needed-but it does allow for plenty of packing material around the purchase!

I like all the room for packing material, but what I invariably find is that the package is put in the box and then filled with packing material, so the package is well protected round all four sides and on top, but there is nothing underneath, except the outer box!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline RichardBattersby

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22678
  • 2mm Association Number: 5151
    • Awards
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2018, 07:12:31 AM »
I've never had any problems with Hatton's, other than slow delivery sometimes. In my experience the customer service has been fantastic, especially when things go wrong, so I have a lot of time for them as a retailer.

However, last weekend I desperately needed something which they had in stock so I thought 'why not pay them a visit and see the fancy new showroom', rather than wait a few days for postage. So I made what felt like a bit of a pilgrimage to the shop, just short of a 2 hour drive. I have to say that I was rather disappointed. For those that haven't been, it's a warehouse in an industrial estate and the shop itself is a small room taken out of the warehouse space. There was very little on display and even racks for things like Metcalfe card kits that had only one or two items hung up. It was a little bit of an odd experience, almost like Screw Fix or Argos, where they have a few bits out in the shop but does nothing to show the huge product catalogue they house. And I guess that is the point. I was more than happy to drive the long distance just to see it (even if it was a bit rubbish) but I should have adjusted my expectations as, in my eyes at least, and everyone's definitions will vary, they're no longer a model shop per se but Amazon for modellers. Apparently they have around 25000 items to buy from the laptop shoved in the corner should you not be sure what you need or want and I'm grateful that such a place exists but if you're planning a trip, consider whether it's worth the fuel.
Richard
Askham Battersby MKII - NE/Midland Modular Layout

"We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing."

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #311 on: November 06, 2018, 07:29:14 AM »
Your experience of visiting Hatton's somewhat fits in with the label of "box-shifter"

I can understand what you mean when you make a comparison with Screwfix and Argos.

If I had made the trip I would also have been a bit miffed. I'm sure your assessment will be appreciated by others.

Online emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2018, 07:49:29 AM »
Interesting to know. Thanks for the review.

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Bob G

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16057
    • Awards
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2018, 07:55:07 AM »
I remember when the parcels from Hattons used to be of no specific dimension (i.e. no stock box size), and hand tied with brown paper and string.

Perhaps they could introduce that as a special service?

Bob

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
I like Hattons, I really do BUT the only criticism I have is slow order processing.
I ordered £500 worth of new locos and bits on 'The sale of the Century' last Wednesday. As I write this I have just been sent an email telling me my order has been picked. That's X6 days of waiting for an order (of in stock items by the way) just to be plucked from the shelf. Granted dispatch will take another a few days. I probably won't see my order at my UK address until Friday at this rate, a good 10 days after placing an order.

I appreciate they have a sale on and Christmas sales are increasing but they really need to up their game when it comes to processing the orders and picking ready for dispatch.

I think all other areas of service are great and their website is good and user friendly and I also like how they show stock levels of the items they have.
I think they need to hire Santa's elves in the warehouse to speed things up!

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything