!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hattons  (Read 47843 times)

Offline ohlavache

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
Re: Hattons
« Reply #210 on: August 18, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »
It's a Kato Unitrack M1 basic oval set.

These locos and wagons are looking for a new home! (updated on 12 May 2019)

Wanted items (only in their original box):
- Union Mills, 3F 0-6-0 steam locomotive in LMS crimson

Offline Cape Town Trev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #211 on: August 18, 2017, 03:59:32 PM »
I agree with austinbob, probably size than weight. What method of delivery did you select?

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »
I am not sure of consumer law in this instance, maybe there is a clause in the terms of business allowing them to do this. However, I would be inclined to tell them to cancel the order as you will look elsewhere - see what response that brings.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2017, 07:03:50 PM »
Hello.
I've just placed an order at Hatton's and selected a shipping method for a given price.
Now I've received an email saying that the parcel is too big for this method and I have to pay more. That's strange since their web site automatically calculates the shipping cost based on the weights of the items selected...
If the web site is not properly configured, this is their responsibility, not mine.
Furthermore, in France, once you have announced a price to your customer, you are not allowed to suddenly increase it. Is there the same law in UK ?
Thanks by advance for your views.

Not in the UK no, I used to work in retail many years ago. It is a popular misconception that if something is mis-priced very low the shop HAS to sell it to you. They do not, they may offer to as a courtesy, but they are within their rights to refuse as it is a mistake.

I would assume this falls under the same category, if it is a pricing mistake on the website. They probably sell a very small proportion to France compared to UK so it may have just not come up before.

Matt

Offline ohlavache

• N Gauge Society Number: 25956
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: August 20, 2017, 04:17:20 PM »
Not in the UK no, I used to work in retail many years ago. It is a popular misconception that if something is mis-priced very low the shop HAS to sell it to you. They do not, they may offer to as a courtesy, but they are within their rights to refuse as it is a mistake.

I would assume this falls under the same category, if it is a pricing mistake on the website. They probably sell a very small proportion to France compared to UK so it may have just not come up before.

Matt
Thank you for your answer !
Even if it's not the one I was hoping for.

These locos and wagons are looking for a new home! (updated on 12 May 2019)

Wanted items (only in their original box):
- Union Mills, 3F 0-6-0 steam locomotive in LMS crimson

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #215 on: October 06, 2017, 08:42:06 PM »
Does anyone actually know what's going in with the Hattons website? There are normally daily updates to the new stock page, but there has only been one update in the last two weeks.

I might have to phone them...
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Online railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2017, 02:01:15 AM »
From the thread on RMweb they appear to be doing some kind of stock take which is taking longer than planned...
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2017, 07:30:18 AM »
I received a somewhat delayed order at the start of this week.

A letter from the boss was included in the parcel apologising for the late shipment, due apparently, to a total stock check. The letter promised a return to normal service very soon.

Dave G

Offline Yet_Another

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25847
  • Chacun à son goût!
    • Awards
« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2017, 08:10:05 AM »
Hmmm. For an organisation which relies quite heavily on online traffic, their lack of candour does not inspire confidence.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: October 07, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »
That's a long stock check. I dropped into Hattons on 23rd September and the shop was half empty, I presumed the beginnings of the stock-taking. There was a sign up saying that the were going to be shut for stock-taking on Monday 25th (and, I think, Tuesday 26th).

Offline Buffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »
I do hope these aren't symptoms of a cashflow problem.

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2017, 08:33:50 AM »
I do hope these aren't symptoms of a cashflow problem.

I am struggling to understand why you would begin to suspect that. The stock check was announced at least a week in advance. It is normal to advise suppliers not to deliver new stock until the stock check has been completed, and it has been confirmed that stock can be received again.

From evidence in other parts of the hobby world it seems that at some stage a very old historic stock snapshot of stock was loaded which resulted in some scarce long out of stock items suddenly becoming available again and at historic prices. This produced a surge of orders for items that Hattons did not have. The only practical way to unravel that was step by step backwards, and almost certainly to repeat the stock check at a new baseline since in the interim some dispatches had taken place. Hattons messed up, and a more forthright admission and apology on the website might have been more appropriate. But no evidence of a cash flow issue.

Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline daveg

• N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: October 08, 2017, 09:19:14 AM »
You obviously have greater knowledge of the internal workings than most, Mike!

From experience I appreciate how long a physical count of a huge stock range can take. There'll always be miscounts and rechecks/audits that adds to the time the task requires

I used Hatton's webchat to follow-up on my small order where I was told the reason for the delay and a polite apology. As mentioned earlier, the order arrived along with an explanatory and apologetic letter.

Dave G

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »

From experience I appreciate how long a physical count of a huge stock range can take. There'll always be miscounts and rechecks/audits that adds to the time the task requires

I used Hatton's webchat to follow-up on my small order where I was told the reason for the delay and a polite apology. As mentioned earlier, the order arrived along with an explanatory and apologetic letter.

Dave G

On one of the model bus groups someone spotted a whole range of really scarce model buses on the Hattons stock at less than a quarter of the price they change hands for on Ebay etc. Dozens of people pitched in and bought them and of course Hattons are now the villain because the stock did not exist and their bargain orders have been cancelled. "I'll never buy from them again!" is the popular response. Of course during the buying frenzy they were warned by some realists that this stock did not exist and it was posted in error by Hattons. Getting angry and withdrawing their trade probably won't make them feel any better. It reminded me of the £30 train sets on Ebay a few months back from completely bogus sellers. At least there most people realised it was too good to be true.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:56:55 AM by woodbury22uk, Reason: Spelling again »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Cape Town Trev

• N Gauge Society Number: 7499
    • Awards
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2017, 11:05:35 AM »

Dave G

I too used the chat line to enquire about my order. Can take about four days by DHL to reach Cape Town. So after four days and only a pick note generated I enquired. Reply was that some items are at the other warehouse and when received my order will be despatched. I didn't know that Hattons had another warehouse. We live and learn.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything