!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Atlas Snap-Track: Absolutely awful  (Read 2179 times)

Offline oreamnos

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
Atlas Snap-Track: Absolutely awful
« on: June 16, 2011, 05:39:47 PM »
Atlas' code 80 Snap-Track is probably the most widely available track here in the USA.  If you walk into a model shop, that's what they prominently display, and in fact you'd be hard pressed to find other brands as in a shop of limited space, the Snap-Track simply crowds out everything else.

Because of its wide availabilty and low cost, I used this track for years.  No more.  It is complete junk.  It is very fragile and is not forgiving of clumsy laying.  Rails easily pop off the sleepers as the simulated rail spikes (chairs) seem to break off if you look at them wrong.  The sleepers are very brittle, too, so put in a track pin wrong and you can easily crack the sleeper in half.  The track is also moulded in black plastic.  Not a problem for those who paint their track but for those who don't, ick.

The inexpensive price is a false economy.  The track breaks so easily you have to buy more of it.

The points are the worst.  Maybe 20 years ago when this track was US made they were reasonably durable, though the straight part of the track tended not to actually be straight, but had a unintended curve to it.  In recent years after production moved to China, the points have been re-designed with less plastic material used and they are just to flimsy now to be of any real use.  The unintended curve is worse, too.

Point motors are OK and and I think are a good value, but only the type without the auto-signaling feature.  They snap over-centre and you'll have to remove the springs from Peco points to get them to work with them.  But if you do that they work well together.  I've never had any problems with any of Atlas' associated electical contol equipment, either.

Because of Snap-Track's lack of quality and durability, I only use Peco track now , which I purchase online from the UK and have shipped to the US.  That is actually much cheaper than buying Peco track direct from sources in the US!

Matt

Offline longbridge

• Awards
Re: Atlas Snap-Track: Absolutely awful
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:40:51 PM »
Only ever used Atlas track once and and found that their Turnouts caused derailments, I replaced them with Peco points with no further problems, finished up giving a pile of Atlas track to the Postman to give to his Son.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »
An update on Atlas Code 80  track 5 years after the original post, I just bought enough Atlas Code 80 points and track to build a new layout and have to say it has come a long way, not made in China anymore but back in the USA, I have had no trouble laying the track the points work well, maybe as good as Peco so full marks to Atlas for returning the manufacture back to the USA, beware though don't buy it unless it has Made in the USA on the packet.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 09:14:44 PM by longbridge, Reason: typo »
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline silly moo

• N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 11:49:20 PM »
Thank you for the update, I'm pleased to hear it has improved.

I'll stick to Peco as I had a bad experience with the old Atlas points which were completely incompatible with Farish locos although the curved set track sections lasted really well.

It's a case of once bitten twice shy.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 12:24:24 AM »
Anyone out there had any experience with the Atlas code 55 turnouts newish or otherwise?

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:19:04 PM »
Anyone out there had any experience with the Atlas code 55 turnouts newish or otherwise?
There are a number on US N gauge groups on Yahoo - best try there
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Please Support Us!
January Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jan 31
Total Receipts: £85.00
Above Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP