!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning  (Read 21915 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
all of a sudden it has started making what can only be described as "f**ting noises" at certain parts of my layout  :o

the noise is coming from the tender, at first i thought it was the new double slip i have installed, but it does it at other locations also.
i am at a loss to what the problem could be. i have changed the tender wheels around, tried it without the middle set of wheels i have also cleaned the "bearing" holes
it also looks as if the loco is strugeling to move the tender when it makes this noise

Try disconnecting the driveshaft from the motor. Does the motor run fine with the driveshaft disconnected? If so then check that the driveshaft is connected right both ends once you reconnect it.

When the driveshaft is disconnected maybe remove it completely have a good look at it and check it's intact and not missing any of the little sticky out pegs that are on it that actually engage into the sockets. If it looks in any way dodgey, try swapping to the spare driveshaft you have in the "bits bag".

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline davieb

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2011, 06:41:14 PM »
hi all  :wave:

to answer in order

john,  its not a stupid suggestion i had thought of that but dont i dont have a back to back guage or a micrometer so cant reliably check  :-[

alan,  i have run the motor without the driveshaft and all is well i removed the driveshaft and tried putting light pressure on it while it was rotating to see if it was a motor bearing but all is fine

the noise does seem to be coming from the wheels

i know they are slightly smaller but could dapol wagon or coach wheels be used to try the back to back theory
(i have autocoach,b-set coaches and several dapol wagons)

thanks for the replys

dave  :thumbsup:

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2011, 09:49:40 PM »
alan,  i have run the motor without the driveshaft and all is well i removed the driveshaft and tried putting light pressure on it while it was rotating to see if it was a motor bearing but all is fine

If it's fine without the driveshaft, but not with, surely that implicates the driveshaft?

i know they are slightly smaller but could dapol wagon or coach wheels be used to try the back to back theory

No. They will short circuit the whole thing as split axle wheels are all that will work, since pickup is off the pinpoints.

Cheers,
Alan

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline davieb

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2011, 10:18:08 PM »
hi all

Alan, thanks for the tip on not using the coach wheels i wasn't sure so i thought i would ask  :-\

as for the drive shaft being the problem the noise only happens going over points travelling in the same direction as the points face and also at 3 other positions on my track
it does not happen all the time  ???

have tried running the loco supported in a cradle with the wheels facing upwards both with and without the driveshaft attached and the sound remains absent.

it is driving me insane as i dont really want to return it as up to now it has been fine, it does not get hot, dosn't surge and has only broke one connecting wire

will have to try disconnecting the tender and drag it round with another loco see what happens then

unless anyone else has any ideas

thanks once again

dave  :thumbsup:

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 07:02:43 PM »
An update:

Well after Dapol having the Brit back for over 3 months, I thought I'd give Hattons a ring today and ask the latest. They contacted Dapol who informed them that they have decided they can't fix it and don't have any more to offer a replacement. Why it's taken them this long to come to that conslusion is not clear.

I'll stick just to the facts on here and keep my opinions/comments to myself,  :-X

R E Faust

:Class31: :NGFWagonTour:

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »

Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2011, 10:42:41 PM »
I notice on RMweb "Dapol Dave" as given you a fairly curt reply, which personally I wouldn't be that impressed with......

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 08:43:49 AM »
Having read it I wouldn't be either, but then in my various dealings with DD, I haven't been particularly impressed.  It took several goes email Joel @ Dapol (having gotten his email from Facebook) to get some information to fix my 26 from Dave - who according to Joel was going to sort it.  Given that Joel was getting my emails, and I his, I am not going to accept the line of "spam filter" but will accept a "I couldn't be bothered as the 26 isn't the latest all singing, all dancing thing to rave about" which is probably apt.  Still the information eventually turned up but I had already fixed the little thing myself - mostly because I didn't want the hassle of returning something to Hatton's from Australia only to have the same problems REF seems to be having.  Maybe DD should run for Parliament?  Our PM is currently trying to blame the Opposition for everything and gets stroppy with people pointing out she gets paid the PM Salary, not the Oppo.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2011, 12:16:45 PM »
Our PM is currently trying to blame the Opposition for everything and gets stroppy with people pointing out she gets paid the PM Salary, not the Oppo.

SHE?? - Cripes - is Maggie still lurking in the HoP :o ???

Offline Sithlord75

• N Gauge Society Number: 13892
  • 2mm Association Number: 4430
    • Sithlord's Railway Blog
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2011, 12:29:27 PM »
Our PM is currently trying to blame the Opposition for everything and gets stroppy with people pointing out she gets paid the PM Salary, not the Oppo.

SHE?? - Cripes - is Maggie still lurking in the HoP :o ???

Now that is funny - Julia Gillard being confused with Maggie T...  good job I wasn't consuming anything at the time I read this, I would have choked!  Ms Gillard would make Mr Blair and Mr Brown look like they were playing on Mr Cameron's team.
Kevin Knight
"Do or do not - there is no try"

My blog thingo can be found here: http://www.sithlordsrailwayblog.blogspot.com

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here