!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning  (Read 21921 times)

Offline SymonC

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21645
    • Ebay
    • Twitter
    • Awards

Offline painbrook

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Britannia - a tale of woe and a warning
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 04:53:20 PM »
I some times wonder about Dapol , the guy at my LMS has mentioned more than once that Dapol have on occasion not supplied him with their latest releases (small order , only a few ) , the bulk going to the 'big fish' . That said , my first loco bought there was  Dapol's 'ivatt's' tank engine , and is one of my best locos  . Cheers john .

Offline Trev Collins

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 10:48:05 AM »
Tale of woe of a different kind with my Brit! I bought it from Crafts & Hobbies via eBay. After  running in forwards which was fine, I tried it in reverse, and it failed. It was returned to the seller who returned it to Dapol. I got it back fairly promptly and much the same happened again.....and then again!!! In the end, the very helpful Crafts & Hobbies repaired it themselves . It seems there was a short involving the DCC circuit board. As I am not interested in DCC , they removed this, and it has been fine ever since -touch wood!! It runs very smoothly and can haul 5 or 6 coaches with ease.

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
This is so spooky. I purchased a Brit at the weekend and it worked perfectly for a couple of hours then on my next railway session had a constant short. I know I should have sent it back but I started taking it apart and located the short to the tender. I have removed the circiut board and direct wired the loco as per standard dc control and now it runs fine.
I do not use DCC and am not going to use DCC, but having to pay extra for the dcc interface, this is the second loco that I have had that has been faulty due to the dcc decoder/blnking plug board.
As a supplimentary question, what to the components on the dcc board actually do, why are they there? I take it it they do something specific to dcc?? anyone know?
Elmo

Offline REFaust

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20356
    • My N Gauge YouTube channel
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 01:00:11 PM »
Well my Brit has been returned to Dapol, about 10 days to 2 weeks ago. I gave Hattons a ring earlier in the week and they still hadn't had any reply from Dapol about what is happening,

Seems this is going to be a slow process...

R E Faust

Offline Trev Collins

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Dapol have a Facebook page. Maybe we should all air our grievances on there. I have also had problems with a B17 amongst others.

Offline Tony

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Britannia 'Robin Hood' from Rails of Sheffield. I experienced problems after approx one hour of test running necessitating it being returned to the retailer who sent me a replacement within a couple of days. I received excellent service which encourages me to use them again with confidence !

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »
Dapol have a Facebook page. Maybe we should all air our grievances on there. I have also had problems with a B17 amongst others.

Hi Trevor. Trouble is you have to 'Like' them before you can complain. :)

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »
Don't scare them off, I'm trying to get them to advertise on here. :o      :thumbsup:

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
Once again modern Britannia's cracking up and not working as they should = approx 30 year old Minitrix Britannia still running like a Swiss Watch, loco's may look better these days but they are as useless as boobs on a bull if they don't work properly.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 11:14:05 PM »
Don't scare them off, I'm trying to get them to advertise on here. :o      :thumbsup:

I'll shut up. Don't want to become unpopular on another forum :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 09:10:21 AM »

I'll shut up. Don't want to become unpopular on another forum :)

Elvinley - I don't think anyone should shut up if they have constructive comments that help other modellers. I appreciate Tank is trying to get advertisers for the forum but don't think this should be at the expense of gagging members. Without reviews, eradication of faults will not happen and we'll end up with the same mediocrity that many of us complain about. Manufacturers must take on board their customers negative/positive comments and desires or their business will wither on the vine, which is of no satisfaction to any of us. Speaking personally I would value a face to face meeting with representatives from the manufacturers and the N Gauge Forum but can't see that happening. Without such a meeting, how do we get our opinions across to them - it can only be by hoping they read, absorb and action comments made via this medium. It would pay to remember that if you bury your head in the sand, 5 of your 6 senses don't work!

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I couldn't agree more newportnobby.  I wasn't trying to gag members, but just making a joke.  :)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »
I couldn't agree more newportnobby.  I wasn't trying to gag members, but just making a joke.  :)

Hi Tank - I was in no way suggesting you are trying to gag members. I know from experience there is a fine line between commerce and feedback, depending on how thick skinned the manufacturer is. I was just trying to say that justifiable criticism (or indeed praise) should not be regarded as slagging off a product just for the sake of it. It is patently obvious that quality control from certain parts has taken a downturn and a medium for reflecting this is very much needed, as the alternative is to take my attitude of "If it doesn't do what it says on the tin it goes straight back". Maybe a flood of returns is the only way some will sit up and take notice. I think to balance what is reported on the forum, perhaps we need more posts giving praise where it's due.
Gets off soapbox and turns sadly to work matters.

Offline Elvinley

• YouTube
    • Elvinley YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 01:10:48 PM »
I knew you were joking Tank! I like the way that this forum seems ok with free speech. This is definitely not the case with some model forums. Maybe because a certain company posts on there.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal