!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: shares in this website  (Read 1255 times)

Offline michael

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22982
    • Ebay
    • Crewe Paint Shop
    • Awards
Re: shares in this website
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 07:07:11 AM »
little tip for those who donate, when I did I ticked it as being and gift and tank recived the full amount rather than losing loads of it in paypal fees

Online Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 08:53:39 AM »
It can be cheap. I don't pay a penny for my forum.

Quite right, it can be cheap.  The first version of this forum was on a server with free hosting.  For those who remember, the forum became unavailable quite a lot, at at certain times could take a whole minute to download a page.  More than likely that was a problem with 110mb (company name), but they said that if I paid for a years subsciption then those problems would disappear.  Nothing happened in a positive way, and I lost that money!  So, I went back to a company I've always used, slightly more expensive, but they have superb service, allow a large amount of bandwidth, and most importantly they have the latest versions of MySQL for running the forum properly.

A large expense is having a technician that I pay to update the forum, and add a lot of modifications to it.  I can do a lot of background modifications, but some of the coding is beyond my knowledge.  I need someone who knows what they're doing, and won't mess up the forum.

Once the forum pays for itself I'll allow attachments to be added - as I know it annoys some people having to use 3rd party sites to upload them.

Offline poliss

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
I suppose it's a question of which free host you use. With mine I can host photos and embed large size (853x510) Youtube videos using the iframe tag. It's also extremely rare for it to be unavailable.

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything