!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol 14xx 0-4-2  (Read 16677 times)

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
Dapol 14xx 0-4-2
« on: June 12, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »
Tiny Dapol Steamer. I brought the early crest BR livery, Liveries aside, what do you chaps think?

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Offline longbridge

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol 14xx 0-4-2
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:30:41 AM »
Great purchase, I have one of these little loco's but it wouldn't pull your hat off which is OK but it does pull an Autocoach very well which is all I wanted it to do. :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline elmo

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:30 AM »
I have three of these little beasts and very fine they are too! On all of mine the initial start speed was too fast (0 -20 in 1 second), but after lots of running this aspect improves. I still wish they were lower geared though.
You may wish to disguise the visible part of the motor with a crew. I painted model scene people (pink sprue of people) suitable colours but you only need the top half of the body, and the inside of that needs cutting to a shape that can be glued between the loco body and motor.

Elmo

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 10:42:03 AM »
I'm with oldrailbug. A fine model (not oldrailbug) but terrible traction. I too just use it with an autocoach or for pick up goods i.e. 4-5 wagons. When I complained to Dapol I was told their coaches are much more free running than those from other manufacturers.

Offline zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 01:14:56 PM »
Looks great, terrible runner unless it's entirely on the flat. Mine won't even pull the autocoach it came with and can't drag itself up a shallow incline. On mine the problem appears to be that the trailing wheels are too lightly sprung and with most of the weight being behind the centre axle it balances backwards and the front driving wheels don't get any grip at all, leaving with just the centre pair of driving wheels for traction.

At some point I'm going to have another mess with it and see if I can either beef up the rear suspension or lock it in place so all 6 wheels are flat to the floor.

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 02:20:55 PM »
Actually, just had a look with a camera in macro mode and using a piece of unittrack to check the wheels and it looks like the centre axle on mine is somewhat off from the horizontal (giving about 1/2mm of lift to one of the front wheels), so the soft spring isn't an issue as 'flat' is with the trailing wheels completely up and then it's either front left, mid right or front right, mid left off the track. Not sure if I can do much about that without stripping it down and reshaping the axle bearings somehow though?

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 02:28:18 PM »
Return it as faulty.

If you take the wheels off the axles you'll never get them to lock into position and quarter reliably again.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline zwilnik

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
Yeah, I've had it too long to return as faulty (well over a year now), so it'll go on the queue of stock to get tweaked and fiddled with when I get time.

Offline OwL

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 06:00:38 PM »
How and where did you guys oil and lubricate your 14xx? Ive used a opened up paperclip and dabbed some oil on the axles near the wheel joins?

Is this enough, or can any one recomend a better way?

Offline poliss

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 06:13:55 PM »

Offline OwL

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 06:15:18 PM »

Offline Bob(K)

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
I have one of these 14xx, which came in a pack with a crimson and cream autocoach. It runs OK, however the wheels are a shiney silver colour, which look very odd. At some stage I will paint them and weather the loco and coach. Nice little loco though. I have noticed that all my Dapol tank engines are really poor when it comes to pulling a number of wagons, which is a shame as they look good.

Bob

Offline longbridge

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 11:17:09 PM »
Regardless of a few minor flaws I think every steam layout should have one or two of these little locos as where else can you find a British 0-4-2 loco in N Gauge ?
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+57)
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 09:03:12 AM »
Yeah, I've had it too long to return as faulty (well over a year now), so it'll go on the queue of stock to get tweaked and fiddled with when I get time.

It may be the first indication that the quartering is starting to go (wheel loosening on an axle). If so then it may destroy itself at somepoint as the wheel fully loosens.

Once loosened they're almost impossible to reseat solidly as the axle is smooth surfaced steel.

So it may be one to get rid of before its ultimate demise  :(

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+57)
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »
Overall for Dapol's very first N gauge loco these are good. Nice little detailed body, metal chassis block with double reduction gearing and wheels running in brass axles bearings.

Like others have said the start speed is a bit.....urgent (!)....but with running in and careful control it can be driven almost realistically!

The early ones have silvered wheels and motion that isn't blackened - I've swapped the chassis on my BR black one for a later one that has the blackened motion, together with adding some small details and etched numberplates which really set it off.

One thing to note is that the grease used seems to go hard on these first models - it really needs cleaned out and re-lubricated. This definitely also helps the slow speed starting a bit.

The bad is the wheel loosening problem - if the wheels loosen off the axles then it's pretty much the end for the chassis block. There do seem to be a lot of chassis spares around though - I get the feeling Dapol got a large run of spares made. I don't know if they or BR lines will sell you a set of the wheels alone as spares though.

With regards pulling power - it is a featherweight, but then what was the maximum they ever towed in real life? 3 coaches or so? If so then mine is happy with a prototypical load, as it rarely does anything other than pootle around with an autocoach in tow  :thumbsup:.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal