!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: I'm thinking of buying a Dapol B17. Reviews?  (Read 17749 times)

Offline Crackerbill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: I'm thinking of buying a Dapol B17. Reviews?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2013, 11:53:40 AM »
Hi,

My lucky day - my son has just given me a Dapol B17 Helmingham Hall in BR green late crest. :bounce:

Even though my son told me it was a"good runner" I must admit I was dubious about the loco, as I have had bad experiences with dapol steam outline locos previously - I even had one of this very model, but returned it due to poor running and bits (running gear) just falling off. I thought that at least it would look pretty just parked up, as the loco is quite stunning.  :hmmm:

All my fears disappeared when I ran the loco as it was perfect out of the box being eager and pulling anything I wanted to put behind it.  I have now installed a Digitrax DZ125IN decoder and have had it test running on my main layout at more than scale speed (nowhere near full power on controller) with six coaches in tow.  The slow running however is superb even when pulling a reasonable set of coaches.  The loco also manoeuvres all my points and crossings faultlessly in both directions. :claphappy: :beers: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What a pleasant surprise and what a great find by my son. :jawdropping:

You will guess I am delighted.  :D

Bill

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2013, 06:21:08 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Bill. Glad you're happy with it :thumbsup:

Offline oreamnos

• N Gauge Society Number: 17217
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
I started this thread over two years ago and I think I've finally got a B17 that works.  Hatton's listed one (Boro, Green, L/C, from the 2012-13 catalogue) for sale just last week out of the blue so I snapped it up. 

I admit I was not hopeful as before I even opened the box I could see the crosshead and piston rod on one side were flopping about out of place.  Fortunately the former was easy to refit into the slidebar and the rod went into its hole in the cylinder much the same.

I don't have access to my layout in the garage right now but I was running it on my dinky test loop (with 7.5" radius curves) in the house.  While it was difficult to rail (I can't imagine why!) the front bogie stayed on all right and even went through facing points without issue.  It's actually pretty quiet.  I haven't been able to test hauling ability as I can only fit about 4 coaches on the loop.

Paint finish and assembly (apart from the aforementioned valve gear issues) were excellent and it's a very fine looking engine.  I'm hoping that once the workmen working on the house clear the stuff out of the garage and I can give it a proper run on my layout that it will continue to run well.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:21:12 PM by oreamnos »

Offline Crackerbill

• N Gauge Society Number: 21694
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2014, 06:43:01 PM »
Doom and Gloom

My Dapol B17 Helmingham Hall has given up the ghost.
It was running great but suddenly stopped and fell off the track - inspection showed that the running gear had given up as shown in my enclosed picture.
I still have reservations over Dapol steam locos and this issue has not helped.
Don't really know what to do with this thing - there's no way I can repair it myself.  My eyes are not what they used to be and I'm not as able to strip down small parts the way I used to.  Suppose I could remove the offending bits and run it without running gear on one side.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:53:43 PM by Sprintex, Reason: Fixed image code so pic shows in post »

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
Two years old or less return to place of purchase as unfit for purpose. Providing it has been used in the normal fashion if it fails within that period its usually faulty goods.

Any problem with the supplier go via trading standards.

It is however between you and the retailer so not Dapol directly.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »
Alternately DCC Supplies should be able to fix it.

I had one A3 (out of 14 Gresley Pacifics so far- you can never have too many) with valve gear that had parted company like that.  DCC Supplies sorted that one out.   A more common fault is for the motion bracket to come detached from under the footplate.

Oddly enough my Farish WD (the sound-fitted one) has just done the same but on the left side, and been sent off to BR Lines for sorting- Bachmann's helpdesk suggested that fitting DCC Sound appears to invalidate the warranty.  In any case having forked out half as much again on the sound as the loco cost to start with I'd rather not return it for replacement......

All the very best
Les

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal