!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)  (Read 136313 times)

Online Paddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
Re: HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
« Reply #735 on: April 01, 2020, 11:50:36 AM »
BREAKDOWN TRAIN - PART #3

This project is turning in to a lobour of love.  What looked relatively simple is testing my modelling skills to the limit!

Today's update simply shows the completed match truck.  You would have thought this was easy but there were issues with the wheels as they are plastic and keep moving on the metal axles (I assume these were standard in Germany a few years ago?).  Eventually I managed to get the back in the chassis and adjust the back to back measurement.

There was also a problem in refitting the jib cradle as it is a very snug on the sides.  Could this have been down to the paint?  Anyway, I gently filed the sides and opened out the locating hole until everything went together.  A wee spot of Superglue holds everything in place.

Photo 1. Completed Match Truck.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Many thanks

Paddy
Dream | Believe | Achieve
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Online Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #736 on: April 09, 2020, 12:53:33 PM »
BREAKDOWN TRAIN - PART #4

The battle continues with the Arnold crane - the plastic is so delicate due to its age.

The next step was to create my custom artwork in PowerPoint as follows:

Photo 1. Crane Artwork.

There are chevrons for the front and rear plus a "name" plate to go on the side which reads:

BRITISH RAILWAYS
CRANE
ADE 330107
HEALEY MILLS

In the classic tradition of Tri-ang etc. the above was just copied from a similar looking prototype crane photo i.e. I am claiming modeller's license.  There are different variations on the sheet and I found that the chevrons edged in black and the plate in red worked best.  Glazing was then added to the crane (something the original did not have) and the inside painted black to give it that gloomy industrial look.

The final parts to be painted are the roof section and internal gears.  Both were given a coat of Halfords Primer followed by Humbrol Acrylic 33 Black Matt.

Photo 2. Painted roof section and gears.

Everything was then given a final coat of Testors Clear Coat and allowed to dry prior to reassembly.  You can see the completed crane with its match truck below.

Photo 3. Completed Crane and Match Truck.

Photo 4. Completed Crane and Match Truck.

When I started out on this project I never expected it to be harder than the military train - how wrong I was.  The main issue was the brittle nature of the plastic so caveat emptor for anyone thinking of undertaking a similar project.  To be fair, there seems to be many variations of this particular model from Arnold so later versions may be more robust.  Also, electing to paint the crane red was not the easiest option (with hindsight) - repainting in all over B.R. black would have been much easier!

This is not the end of the project as there are other vehicles to be repainted to complete the train...

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Many thanks

Paddy
Dream | Believe | Achieve
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:55:55 PM by Paddy »
London Midland Region

Online dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #737 on: April 09, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »
Looking very professional Paddy.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #738 on: April 09, 2020, 02:29:20 PM »
Looking very professional Paddy.  :thumbsup:

Seconded!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #739 on: April 24, 2020, 01:35:46 PM »
Hi Folks,

This week saw the arrival of a new locomotive at HOLLERTON MOTIVE POWER DEPOT (SHED 13C)G2a 49368 will expand (the already quite considerable!  :o ) freight roster and add a wee bit of LNWR power to the layout.

Prototype Details

Class   G2a
Whytes   0-8-0
BR Power   7F
Designers   George Whale
   Charles Bowen Cooke
   Francis Webb
Number in Class   G1 449
   G2 60
   G2a 327
Boiler Pressure   175 psi
Tractive Effort   28,045 lbf
Built   December 1902
   Crew Works
Withdrawn   May 1959
Scrapped   April 1960
   Smith's, Ecclesfield

Much thanks to Colin at Union Mills Models for his excellent locomotives and wonderful service (even in these difficult times).

Kind regards

Paddy

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 01:52:23 PM by Paddy »
London Midland Region

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #740 on: April 25, 2020, 09:19:11 AM »
Thank you very much, Paddy, for the splendid picture of your newly-acquired 'G2a' 0-8-0 No. 49368.  She's a beauty!  And I expect she's a superb runner with, probably, more pulling power than you'll ever need.

There's one on the Table-Top Railway; LMS No. 9423 and she is a marvellous locomotive.  She's one of the 1921-1922 engines, built with a 175lb/ft2boiler, and classified 'G2'.

Thanks again for the picture and I hope the 'G2a' gives you great pleasure.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Online Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #741 on: April 25, 2020, 10:51:17 AM »
Hi John ( @Train Waiting )

Thank you - lovely loco and its simplicity as a model seems to suit this class of workhouse locomotive.  I was thinking of painting the wheel rims and whistle.  What do you think?

Kind regards

Paddy
London Midland Region

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #742 on: April 25, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
Hi John ( @Train Waiting )

Thank you - lovely loco and its simplicity as a model seems to suit this class of workhouse locomotive.  I was thinking of painting the wheel rims and whistle.  What do you think?

Kind regards

Paddy

Thank you for asking my opinion, Paddy.  This was very kind of you.  I'll try to give you the best answer I can.

There is no correct answer.  It depends on one's own view.  If one sees railway modelling as strictly representational, which, taken to its ultimate, means that a photograph of the model is indistinguishable from a photograph of the real thing, then paint the wheels, but maybe not the whistle.

However, if one sees it as more impressionistic, then paint the whistle (nice and shiny!) but don't paint the wheels.

I used to be firmly in the first category.  Each year that passes seems to find me move further into the second.

To help you decide where you are, please look at this image:

http://www.wynfordclassics.com/midland-spinner.html

Now, here are four entirely reasonable reactions:

1.  That's awful; imagine buying something like that in this day and age.
2.  Okay if you must, but not really my kind of thing.
3.  Rather nice; I think I understand what the manufacturer is attempting to do.
4.  Perfick!  This sums up the very essence of model railways.

If you are a 1 or 2, then I think painted wheels are for you.  If you are a 3 or 4, then I'd leave the wheels as they are, but get busy with the whistle (I use a 'Sharpie' marker.).

Inside the lovely old-fashioned cardboard box (made in a workshop in the Isle of Man for people with disabilities - how good is that?) that the 'G2a' came in, is a little sheet telling you about the locomotive.  At the bottom of this there is a message from Union Mills suggesting that you, '... make the model your own'.

I hope that this is a reasonable answer to a very good question.  By the way, on my own test, I'm about a three-and-a-half!

I hope that you get lots of fun from this locomotive.

All best wishes.

John

Offline exmouthcraig

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+7)
    • Awards
« Reply #743 on: April 25, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »
Evening Paddy I hope you are well and staying safe!!!

I'd like to think we have quite a similar opinion to alot of things from the topics we've had conversations about, and because of that I'll attempt to add to John's fantastic view......

I bought myself a UM class 700 off Ebay, it is on my workbench thread in various parts. Me being me I am firmly between 1 & 2 in John's list. I ordered everything I could to make my Blackmotor the same as what the current RTR hornby one is like....

Guard irons
Lamp brackets
Vacuum pipe
Coupling hook
Handrail wire and knobs
Attempted to build a representation of the motion under the boiler
Glazed windows
Proper cab handrails
Cab detail including reversing lever and seats
Real coal in the tender
Brake standard
Chemically black the wheels and rods
Shorten the tender drawbar

I wanted it all, I wanted to convert my UM into one of the most detailed locos on the fleet.

I knew how it wanted it to become BUT I lacked one vital thing, THE ABILITY TO DO IT,  I've made alot of work for myself by making the hash up I have but I leave it in the box and go back to it every now and again. I will finish it but I really do regret trying to do so much to 1 loco when I'd done next to none of the jobs that I wanted done.

I will get her right it might just take 5years to acquire the skills to complete her to a somewhat satisfactory standard.

NOTHING can be taken away from Colin, these locos are phenomenal in their work rate and they are great base locos to work on and detail. So as colin says

Enjoy it and make it your own!!!

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #744 on: April 26, 2020, 06:46:20 AM »
To my mind, the only thing that stands out on my G2A is the shiny front buffers.  I may get round to painting them rust coloured one day.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #745 on: April 26, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »
Hi @Train Waiting, @exmouthcraig and @Innovationgame,

It is a strange situation I find myself in.  Personally, my number one criteria is that a model should run and pull well as this is surely what it is designed to do.  It does not matter how detailed a locomotive is - if it does not work then what is the point?  Over the years I have purchased several Dapol steam locomotives and sadly many of them fell at this hurdle.

As I have got older, I find that I can also appreciate models at varying levels of detail and not just in N gauge.  You all know of my love for Hornby Dublo, Tri-ang OO and TT.  They have a certain something about them - may be it is "fun"?  I can also appreciate the engineering that has gone in to a Minitrix locomotive from 30+ years ago which is many cases, British N gauge is still yet to match (IMHO).

So, I suppose I am on a journey and do not yet know where I will end up.

Will the G2a get painted wheels?  Not sure, I may attach the wheels with a Sharpie and see what it looks like...

Kind regards

Paddy

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:31:05 PM by Paddy »
London Midland Region

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #746 on: April 26, 2020, 07:55:15 PM »

It is a strange situation I find myself in.  Personally, my number one criteria is that a model should run and pull well as this is surely what it is designed to do.  It does not matter how detailed a locomotive is - if it does not work then what is the point? 

I understand completely.  You are thinking of the model locomotive in its own right as well as a representation of the prototype.  It was precisely this that led me to Union Mills.  With regard to Dapol, I have some of its little tank engines that are rather good.  As for my 'B17' and 'Manor'...

With all good wishes.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #747 on: April 26, 2020, 08:23:46 PM »
The UM G2a is indeed a fine locomotive and one Iím considering for Trepol Bay.
To add my two pennuth......I used to want the correct locomotives and stock for my particular era and area and I wanted it to look right.
I have since mellowed, I hope, and have changed. I am now happy to run whatever looks good.
The G2a is a rugged workhorse and I think that Colin has captured its simplicity perfectly. I think it would look good At the head of a goods train trundling around Trepol Bay.
I really  like The way that UM capture the essence of locomotives. Ok, Dapol and GF produce some superbly detailed models that look fantastic but the trade off is their unreliability and often poor running.
Overall, I have been lucky with my purchases from  Dapol and Farish but give me the reliability and sheer pulling power of UM any day.
As for your wheels Paddy, a light dusting with Tamiya soot Powder (slightly moistened) should do the trick.
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online Paddy

• Awards
« Reply #748 on: April 27, 2020, 01:28:26 PM »
Hi Folks,

I recently purchased the following book:

Eric Bottomley is a railway artist of some renown and the book details how he built his O gauge layout.  The book is primarily a set of stunning photos with descriptive text and a few "How I did it" kind of explanations.  For those who do not know, Eric Bottomley was commissioned by Graham Farish (Poole) to create the artwork for their Magnum layout plans and building kits.  Eric also painted the Black 5 which adorned one of Farish's early catalogues.

You can see a full description of Farish's Magnum layouts here:

http://www.ness-st.co.uk/pdf/Graham%20Farish%20Magnum%20Catalogue%201999.pdf

If you are familiar with the original Scenecraft building kits then several of Eric's backscenes and buildings look very similar!

The book is inspirational and recommend.

Kind regards

Paddy
London Midland Region

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00