!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Ideas and thoughts please  (Read 12950 times)

Offline jase72

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Ideas and thoughts please
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2013, 09:36:54 PM »
Thanks RChook for the link, had a look and downloaded the double engine shed and roundhouse. It's them little voices in my head going add the roundhouse, add the roundhouse!!! to the plan.

Offline RChook

• Awards
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2013, 10:29:19 PM »
little voices in my head going add the roundhouse, add the roundhouse!!!
Hehee, sorry about that :) :)
I keep looking over my shoulder wondering what Tadpole is thinking ;)

But seriously : Wordsworth has put a lot of good work into those.
My one wish is that he should have included a scale-bar, that way we could be sure of our pdf software and printer were doing it at the right size (or atleast at his right size) by measuring the printed bar.
So for trial I downloaded the single engine shed and am now trawling the internet for typical dimensions of shed entrances.
I'll be watching your "wordsworth" thread in Buildings Forum with much interest.

Offline Joe 90

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2013, 10:38:53 AM »
Someone elsewhere in another topic suggested printing the projects at 48%.

I have done this and the doorway of the office of the goods shed measured at 13.5mm which I understand is the correct measurement for a N-Gauge door.

regards

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:02:11 AM by Joe 90 »

Offline martink

• N Gauge Society Number: 10410
    • PhotoBucket
    • Model Railway Musings
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
.... Also there seems to be a lack of stations at the moment for N gauge. Have looked at the Ratio station kit or maybe Scalescene medium station, but i want to keep that textured feel to the main station buildings. The only other ones i can see that are along those lines are Lydle End or Farish Hampton Heath but they are few and far between and expensive can anyone suggest any others.

The Peco kit isn't too bad and you can enlarge it a bit by adding the station master's house.  Kestrel also does two station kits: one similar in size to the Ratio & Peco ones, and a larger town station (made out of four smaller buildings).  However, the Kestrel kits are somewhat crude and need a bit of work to make them look acceptable.

Offline RChook

• Awards
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
Someone elsewhere in another topic suggested printing the projects at 48%.

I have done this and the doorway of the office of the goods shed measured at 13.5mm which I understand is the correct measurement for a N-Gauge door.
Good thinking on doorways, thanks.
I had done a 50% on the Small Country Station before I saw your post, just checked its doorway and as best my tapemeasure can do it is about 13.5mm, but including a small frame below is a gnat's whisker short of 14mm above ground. So that seems OK.

I think it should be possible to resize and fit 2 into 1 page and economise on paper/card.
Anyone know of software for re-writing PDFs ?

EDIT : Sorry Jase, I'm whispering all over your thread again ! I should have done this in a new thread.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:29:12 PM by RChook »

Offline jase72

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »
 :hellosign:

Well that's it now settling on this design!!! Just waiting on the last bits of track to turn up, sort out jnr's room and then can start building!! Looking forward to the build.

Offline Phil Wray

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2013, 11:47:33 PM »
Nothing like being the last to enter a discussion....

I have nought from my brain to offer, it seems like folks have had a good go at this already.

I'm about to go and order all my track (Peco steamline code55) and I'd better brush up on my rusty soldering. But where did you buy yours from Jase? Did you find any good online sales?

Phil
P.s. last minute comments on my little layout (Grrrr, oh for a wider baseboard!) still welcome on other thread.

Offline jase72

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »
Hi Phil

We will use setrack 80. Most of it was given to my son by a relative and we have got the last few bits from ehattons.

Jase

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2013, 04:01:57 PM »
Simplest way to order trackwork is to bang all your requirements into a spreadsheet with prices from all the major box shifters and see who comes out best. It's what I did and I saved plenty spondulicks :thumbsup:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2013, 06:40:04 PM »
Simplest way to order trackwork is to bang all your requirements into a spreadsheet with prices from all the major box shifters and see who comes out best. It's what I did and I saved plenty spondulicks :thumbsup:

Just what I did - may take a bit longer but a recommended method!  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline jase72

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »
 :hellosign: everyone

It has been a while since i was last on but things never seem to go as you want them. Anyway been having the little voices in my head saying you need to expand your track plan again. Well i am buckling to them and am going to add a bit more to the right side of the plan however just need some ideas as what to put in the extra space not much but i think something can be added to it.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Not after a fiddle yard as the trains will be on display all the time. Any ideas as always are appreciated. Should be starting the baseboard building soon.

:thankyousign:

Offline jase72

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
 :hellosign:

I have been told by swmbo that the extension i want to add cannot happen so that idea has now been scrapped. Instead i have been tickering with the main plan again. This time i have taken away the village scene and added a branch line terminus and moved everything up. the curves at the right side of the plan remain there. Access to the goods shed and cattle dock will be by road crossing the track bottom left and then running round.

As always thoughts are always welcome. Should be building the frame tomorrow hopefully so i shall keep a little diary of how things go.

:thankyousign:

Jase and Jase jnr

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »
Ah, you were inspected by the Planning Authorities then Jase?  They just don't understand a chaps needs when it comes to model railways!  ;)

Like your plan though.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBWZv78QooTejcYi5afQBg/videos

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2013, 02:52:18 PM »
BTW, I have used PECO Code 80 Setrack on HOLLERTON JUNCTION and have had no problems.  All my locos to date happily go around R1 curves and through the Setrack points.  I do not even get stalling on the short wheel base locos.

Seem to have been very fortunate.

Paddy

HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBWZv78QooTejcYi5afQBg/videos

Offline Phil Wray

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »

Just what I did - may take a bit longer but a recommended method!  :thumbsup:

Dave G

I ended up haggling a deal from a supplier at the Scottish Model Rail exhibition (but I'm conscious I'm now in danger of hijacking someone else's thread.... :sorrysign: )

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal