!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Bringing the Art Deco Station together  (Read 1091 times)

Offline redtrain

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Bringing the Art Deco Station together
« on: December 29, 2012, 09:13:54 PM »
This post follows on from my previous mini reviews of the various components of the Scenecraft Art Deco station. Every layout, even it is just an oval or test track needs a station. After much searching I could not find a modern station I was hoping to use. The next best was the Art Deco station Scenecraft offered which had the added advantage of being easy to assemble and modular. The more I looked into it the more it grew on me and I rather like the idea of my modern German trains eventually stopping here.

Building platforms from the plastic kits is a bit constraining and not very economical so I built a main platform base out of balsa wood as a test to see what it could look like. The future station will naturally be much longer, this is enough for the moment. The platform centre building in the bottom right of the picture will be replaced by a subway building so that passengers can cross over to the other side or where ever.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

The concrete effect is achieved by first spraying on a coat of grey, sprinkling on a layer of fine sand before adding a few more coats. That bit is really easy to do and only takes minutes. Building a structure like this is also not all that difficult. I have no talent, yet it only took a couple of hours from start to finish.

(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline scotsoft

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Scottish n' Newcastle
    • YouTube
    • Awards
Re: Bringing the Art Deco Station together
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 09:26:37 PM »
Great looking scene, I like your idea of the fine sand to give a textured finish  :thumbsup:

cheers John.

Offline trainsdownunder

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+5)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 10:32:00 PM »
 :greatpicturessign:

Excellent work

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 12:15:02 AM »
I must admit,I do like the Art Deco station building range.They do look rather good.
Only problem for me is I don't like the prices of all the different components,so I'll try and build something myself I think.
The same applies to the Metcalfe station building,with the possible exception of the price of those and the fact that they are turning up on exhibition layouts in both oo and n gauge alarmingly often.My home layout station building is going to be designed and built by moi!
Watch it turn out like a monkey's breakfast!

Pete
 :Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline Pengi

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • Twitter
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 02:02:53 PM »
There is a blog for N scale Art Deco

http://art-deco-rail.blogspot.co.uk/
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

Offline redtrain

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
I must admit,I do like the Art Deco station building range.They do look rather good.
Only problem for me is I don't like the prices of all the different components,so I'll try and build something myself I think.

Pete I agree. It is not cheap to put together a station with these sets. Not sure I could build something like this though.

Marcus

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £44.00
Below Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
80% 
September Donations

anything