!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Pete Mc

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Introducing myself
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:22:38 AM »
Hello everyone,although I have posted on other peoples threads,I thought I may,if you don't mind introduce myself.
My names Pete and I returned to this hobby of ours as a result of relatives hospital stays,(mum's and uncle)of which both were very serious.Now my uncle had a bleed on the brain,so as both mum and uncle were in at the same time,I visited both.
During my childhood,I'm 41 now,my bro and I had a oo gauge layout which was 8' by 8'.My bro wasn'y that interested in playing with trains so the layout went after a few years in favour of a snooker table.
Whilst we had the layout,which was built by my uncle,we had many good operating sessions which always resulted in falling asleep during lessons at school the following day.
As he was in hospital for a few weeks,his mate brought him all the mags as they came out,which I duly read.This obviously fueled my desire to build my own.A few months later,after I'd been to the Doncaster and York MR shows we went to Hartlepool for the Hornby Live show.On the way there though,an odd thing happened with my car that I couldn't fathom out.So my wallet stayed in my pocket,a decision which I thought was well made,especially as the problem with the car was the beginning of turbo failure
This resulted in a rather spectacular F1 style cloud of white smoke coming out of the back and a big repair bill.
The following week I joined the local model railway club and then was given a pile of track plan books.I chose to attempt a plan by CJ Freezer called Endor,but heavily modified it as his plan is based on a standard internal door sized board,I worked out I had space for a 9'6" by 4' baseboard so the plan was to enlarge and modify the plan,having a 10 road storage yard at the back where its operated from plus a through mainline station as opposed to a terminus.The station is raised above the baseboard level by way of inclines which rise 70mm on a run of 4'.This is ok as all my current loco's(BR blue,70's to mid 80's by the way)all cope fine.Only my BachFar 108 3 car DMU struggles,so that tells me the inclines are ok.
As modifications to trackplans go,mine was quite major,to complete one lap of the layout,from storage yard,a train goes around the layout 3 times,twice on the lower and once on the upper level through the station,which is a 4 platform station with 2 straight through lines,kinda like Doncaster.
On the layout there are 34 points,all peco streamline code 80 medium radius points,minimum radius curves are radius 1 which is on one section approaching the station after the incline,no problems with loco's catching,derailing or stalling at all.All other curves are radius 2,3,4 or greater.
As a first layout,I was told to make sure all my trains run properly before doing anything else,which I so far have done,although the arrival of 2 Dapol hst's this week may end this as I have about 60' of track to ballast and it won't do itself.
It is a dc oprated layout at the moment,using a model D Gaugemaster and 2 handheld controllers.Points will be fully controlled by seep motors using stud and probe method of operation.
I hope I haven't sent anyone to sleep with my rather long,drawn out return to model railways so if you have any comments or questions,please feel free to make them.
I promise to keep up with you all
Cheers
Pete
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

Offline longbridge

• Awards
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 06:40:00 AM »
Hi there from downunder Pete and welcome to this great forum.

Sorry to hear about your families health problems, I dunno they seem to crop up from time to time and put the mockers on normal life.

That layout of yours sure sounds like a mini empire and I am sure I speak for all the chaps on the forum that we would love to see some photos  :thumbsup:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:22 AM »
Welcome to the forum Pete, certainly been an interesting period for you  :o

anyway, piccies please, we love piccies

Enjoy the forum and feel free to ask any questions

Offline Geoff

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:13:20 AM »
A big welcome from myself, hope you enjoy your modelling.
Geoff

Offline Dock Shunter

• Trade Count: (+10)
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum Pete :thumbsup:....and like the other fella's, i too would like to see some pics of your layout.. :thumbsup:

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum. :thumbsup: :NGaugersRule:

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 04:29:04 PM »
Welcome Pete!,

sounds like a great layout and as with others, I hope we'll see pictures soon!

Graham

Offline lesmond

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 07:35:28 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Pete, glad to have you here. I'd love to see some pictures too.... :smiley-laughing:
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Offline jonclox

• Sadly Passed Away
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19998
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:30:46 PM »
Welcome from me as well. Looking forward to your posts...........and pictures  :camera:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Offline OwL

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 15643
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
Pictures-pictures-pictures please :camera:

Welcome to the forum :NGaugeForum:

Proud New Owner of Old Warren Traction Maintenance Depot Layout.

http://www.c58lg.co.uk/  http://www.c60pg.co.uk/

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £20.00
Below Goal: £40.00
Site Currency: GBP
33% 
April Donations

Advertise Here
anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal