Initial feelings...

Started by brookleigh, January 20, 2020, 05:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

brookleigh

Having "dipped my toe in the water" as my layout progresses slowly, I am getting a little despondent
that I may have chosen the wrong gauge!!

I am finding the lack of choice, when compared to 00, of certain items which interest me,
namely  GWR  King class  and also possibly a Deltic.

I dont intend to abandon N gauge but am having doubts.

Regards   Roger

Intercity

Farish do the Deltic, including the prototype.

ntpntpntp

Didn't I read somewhere that another small firm had announced a King, given DJM's fell through (and Lima's model in the 80s was never made - it would have been rubbish anyway :-) )
Nick.   2026 celebrating the 30th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

dannyboy

#3
Have a look at the following 'Rails' page - three Class 55's to look at.  :thumbsup:

https://railsofsheffield.com/categories-class-55-JJJC329
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Dr Al

Farish made the King in the past. Not quite a modern model, but certain detailing can be done to uprate it, and it will run well.

Just need to keep watching the secondhands.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces." – Dr. Carl Sagan

Mr Sprue

As Alan has stated the King Class loco's do pop up from time to time. The Farish King James the II stock number is 372-551.

trkilliman

Quote from: ntpntpntp on January 20, 2020, 05:28:57 PM
Didn't I read somewhere that another small firm had announced a King, given DJM's fell through (and Lima's model in the 80s was never made - it would have been rubbish anyway :-) )

I think I also read this.

I reckon Farish could be working on a King, and may surprise us with an announcement in the not too distant future.

Bealman

Can't speak for the King, but the Deltic is a lovely model.



I also own a Poole Farish Deltic, which, apart from the lack of lights, holds up surprisingly well against the new version.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bingley Hall

Quote from: brookleigh on January 20, 2020, 05:18:12 PM
Having "dipped my toe in the water" as my layout progresses slowly, I am getting a little despondent
that I may have chosen the wrong gauge!!

I am finding the lack of choice, when compared to 00, of certain items which interest me,
namely  GWR  King class  and also possibly a Deltic.

I dont intend to abandon N gauge but am having doubts.

Regards   Roger

Strange post - the lack of choice surely existed before you dipped your toes in the water?

Mr Sprue

Quote from: brookleigh on January 20, 2020, 05:18:12 PM
Strange post - the lack of choice surely existed before you dipped your toes in the water?

Couldn't have put that better myself.

However the massive advantage that an N Gauge layout has over OO is when there's lack of space, that's when N wins hands down every time!

Dickydcc

I have found that it's a matter of being patient, Deltics do come up  (there was one a eBay recently with sound, albeit in purple). I also found that I have had to compromise a bit on running loco's relevant to "my" region. I have no idea how a 64XX ended up, complete with autocoach, in Norfolk but the kids got it for me for fathers day so round Thetford Rd it goes! When I first discussed doing railways again, with the landowner, I was allowed 700mm x 9' & it had to be a tail chaser. So, N Gauge or no railway was the choice. I suppose I could have gone for Z........ :D


ChrisWV10

Look on the bright side. That huge selection of OO locos and rolling stock is very bad for the wallet...

:angel:

brookleigh

Thanks to everyone who posted info on the Deltic...

I still find it odd that one of the finest locos ever seen  on the GWR is not sold at the moment.
I wonder also if there is/was anything from the GWR County class?

Roger

njee20

Why? There are literally hundreds of models not currently produced. Being a "fine" prototype doesn't mean it'll be a commercial success sadly.

The King was slated to be produced by DJ Models until they went under. KR Models have hinted at it on social media (they showed a CAD), but it's not made it to their website yet.

10 seconds on Google suggests no County. As a general rule, if Hornby produce it in OO it's less likely an N gauge version exists!

Bob G

Quote from: njee20 on January 21, 2020, 04:50:47 PM
10 seconds on Google suggests no County.

Peco did a kit for a Jubilee to County conversion in the 1970s.
P&D Marsh?/GEM?/one of those kit manufacturers in the 1970s also did a whitemetal kit for a county IIRC.

I think you need to either become an N gauge modeller and model or revert to being an OO collector and collect.

(he said, a little tongue in cheek).


Please Support Us!
September Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £135.67
Above Goal: £35.67
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
September Donations