Anti virus software

Started by TrevL, May 31, 2018, 07:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickster04

Depends if Malwarebytes offers you features other than just antivirus scans.
as for CCleaner what features do you use in it?

registry cleaners are not recommended by this independant professional https://decentsecurity.com/registry-cleaners/
if you use it to clean up old files consider https://decentsecurity.com/#/holiday-tasks/ (3. Windows files clean with cleanmgr.exe)

This website is utterly comprehensive. so don't feel worried if you get overwhelmed.

The Q

The company I work for , has over a hundred thousand employees round the world, we use more than one computer per employee, I personally control four,and occationally use about another 10 computers. They all use windows, the oldest is now win7 the majority win10. They are all on the in-house network which is internet connected two of the computers I use are regularly on the internet, including this one.

They all are protected by... MS Defender /security essentials.

We do have a vigorous update routine, though those that are running test equipment on long time programmes are set to allow us to update at the end of a run not in the middle of something that might take 24hours.

We've not a had a problem with viruses, I now use MS Defender at home...

Note in Win 10, if you add another anti virus program it almost always Automatically shuts down Defender.

Nick

All I can say is to repeat what I said on the other thread.

I personally have been responsibility for over thirty installations/seats (more machines due to swaps) of MSE/Defender going back 6 or 7 years or so. Fortunately this is now down to four domestic machines!

None of those machines has exhibited any problems, and none has become infected in that time.

I believe Defender is now the most widely deployed AV solution in the enterprise market globally, which has to say something...
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

austinbob

Quote from: austinbob on May 31, 2018, 09:14:17 PM
I have the free BT version of McAfee and it makes no noticeable difference to my computers performance whether its running or not.
:beers:
Well now... After all the posts about people using Windows Defender I thought I'd uninstall BT protect version of McAfee (I can always reinstall it) and see how it works.

Seems to setup and run fine but, against my previous statement quoted above, I found my system to be a lot snappier in starting programs. I've reported on the forum before about slow opening of Office files. Now problem is solved and other programs start faster too.
I don't think I ever had McAfee report any viruses and Malwarebytes Premium is good at reporting dodgy websites and PUP's so the combination of Defender and Malwarebytes is looking good so far.

:beers: :)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

davidinyork

Quote from: themadhippy on May 31, 2018, 08:12:30 PM
Its been there since at least vista, otherwise known as microsoft security essentials

Indeed. It was a lot more basic in the earlier incarnations, though.

For the work computers I use Kaspersky, which is pretty good. If you want a free one, the free version of AVG seems perfectly OK.

Mr Sprue

Quote from: austinbob on June 01, 2018, 02:24:48 PM
I have the free BT version of McAfee and it makes no noticeable difference to my computers performance whether its running or not.
Well now... After all the posts about people using Windows Defender I thought I'd uninstall BT protect version of McAfee (I can always reinstall it) and see how it works.

Seems to setup and run fine but, against my previous statement quoted above, I found my system to be a lot snappier in starting programs. I've reported on the forum before about slow opening of Office files. Now problem is solved and other programs start faster too.
I don't think I ever had McAfee report any viruses and Malwarebytes Premium is good at reporting dodgy websites and PUP's so the combination of Defender and Malwarebytes is looking good so far.

If you now download and install the free version of CCleaner and carry out a scan and wipe out cookies and registry files you could actually gain a bit more!

Also Adwcleaner from bleeping computors is an excellent adware removal tool. (hope that helps!)_

njee20

Yes, if you want a free one then use Windows Defender... as has been discussed.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on June 01, 2018, 08:37:40 PM

Each to their own (and the built-in software is now much improved), but I still wouldn't rely solely on Microsoft for security. The problems with AVG and the 1803 update for Windows will no doubt be fixed before long, irritating as it will be in the short term. With Microsoft's six-monthly release cycle, problems like this are unfortunately inevitable.

I've put the 1803 update on quite a few computers. Few issues. It's mostly fine with Kaspersky, although on standalone computers it does annoyingly reset back to the default scan times, and on domain ones you get Windows Firewall errors - the latter are easily solved by pushing out a reinstall of Kaspersky though, which only takes a few seconds through the management console on the server. I've had one graphics card problem (an AMD card), where at the second reboot during the update the computer would just hang with nothing on the screen. Pulled out the card and reverted to the onboard graphics and it was fine. In this case I haven't bothered to look into it further as that computer is no longer used for anything which requires dedicated graphics anyway.

austinbob

Quote from: Mr Sprue on June 01, 2018, 08:29:20 PM

If you now download and install the free version of CCleaner and carry out a scan and wipe out cookies and registry files you could actually gain a bit more!

Also Adwcleaner from bleeping computors is an excellent adware removal tool. (hope that helps!)_
Done that and that, no problems found.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

austinbob

Quote from: Lindi on June 01, 2018, 08:38:17 PM

Out of interest... Did you have Windows Defender active at the same time as McAfee or did it only get switched on after removing McAfee?
Defender switched on after McAfee removed. But had to ask it to switch on.

Bob Austin

davidinyork

Quote from: Mr Sprue on June 01, 2018, 08:29:20 PM

Also worth looking at what is starting up on boot - can be seen in task manager / start-up tab. There may be some things you can disable or remove - but do this with care unless you are sure of what they are.

njee20

Quote from: davidinyork on June 01, 2018, 09:05:35 PM
Quote from: njee20 on June 01, 2018, 08:37:40 PM

Each to their own (and the built-in software is now much improved), but I still wouldn't rely solely on Microsoft for security. The problems with AVG and the 1803 update for Windows will no doubt be fixed before long, irritating as it will be in the short term. With Microsoft's six-monthly release cycle, problems like this are unfortunately inevitable.

I've put the 1803 update on quite a few computers. Few issues. It's mostly fine with Kaspersky, although on standalone computers it does annoyingly reset back to the default scan times, and on domain ones you get Windows Firewall errors - the latter are easily solved by pushing out a reinstall of Kaspersky though, which only takes a few seconds through the management console on the server. I've had one graphics card problem (an AMD card), where at the second reboot during the update the computer would just hang with nothing on the screen. Pulled out the card and reverted to the onboard graphics and it was fine. In this case I haven't bothered to look into it further as that computer is no longer used for anything which requires dedicated graphics anyway.

Just to be clear then... you're actively suggesting a program that will potentially stop working every 6 months, and you have first hand experience of it causing conflict with hardware which caused you to remove said hardware? Despite the fact there's a very well regarded free solution that will not do these things? Ooook.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on June 01, 2018, 09:17:02 PM
Just to be clear then... you're actively suggesting a program that will potentially stop working every 6 months, and you have first hand experience of it causing conflict with hardware which caused you to remove said hardware? Despite the fact there's a very well regarded free solution that will not do these things? Ooook.

Kaspersky didn't stop working - needed a few tweaks, but still worked.

AVG - unlikely to happen again as Microsoft will be careful it doesn't after the negative press this time; it hasn't happened with any of the previous six-monthly updates.

The graphics card issue had absolutely nothing to do with any AV software - it was down to the 1803 Windows update. I imagine it's a driver issue and probably fairly easily fixable, but I've no reason to bother trying at the moment.

As I said, I wouldn't rely solely on Microsoft for security. You will find this is normal in most business IT fields - the majority will have third party AV software.

mickster04

A separate point someone raised earlier (on my phone) was to use ccleaner to clear your registry. Please don't do this as it'll actually cause more issues than it solves on the newer windows. As for av, windows own is very reliable in windows 10. 3rd party av has been known to damage and disable windows security features like UAC however those things have probably been resolved now.

davidinyork

Quote from: Lindi on June 01, 2018, 10:46:21 PM
Why is it? It happened for the Creators update as well Avast/AVG had issues and had to release a fix in the Avast/AVG software. It was nothing to do with Microsoft, it is not there problem if other suppliers code causes the PC's to stop working if they stop the operating system from completing an update because they locked folders. Other anti virus suppliers didn't cause a failure to update the operating system just Avast/AVG.

What evidence to you have for not relying on the Microsoft anti virus program.

From personal experience I had a virus when I used AVG but have had none since I switched to Security Essentials/Defender many years ago (XP if I remember correctly).

If you have time read this article https://www.howtogeek.com/225385/what's-the-best-antivirus-for-windows-10-is-windows-defender-good-enough/

There have been issues with other AV software. I recall having to hold off on deploying the first release of Windows 10 because Kaspersky wasn't compatible until they released a new version. Of all software, AV protection is mostly likely to pose difficulties due to the way it integrates into the operating system. It's irritating when it happens, but not surprising. If I wasn't confident that it would work (or at least only give minor issues), then I'd remove the AV before the upgrade, then put it back on again. With these six-monthly updates, I normally set up some virtual machines to test them before trying it on any live systems.

Each six-monthly update of Windows 10 is effectively an in-place upgrade installation. Prior to Windows 10 the general view in the IT world was not to do in-place upgrades as they often gave trouble - wipe and load was the standard practice. With W10 this has changed, but it's intevitable that not every upgrade is going to complete without any problems.

As for 'evidence' - well, many years of managing Windows networks, talking to other people who manage Windows networks, contractors, consultants, etc. The general consensus is that the Microsoft offerings have improved considerably, but third-party AV is still advisable, and is still the norm in most business settings. I've seen plenty of articles like that, and arguing the other way as well.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations