Lima vs. Bachmann vs. Grafar coaches

Started by AdeV, December 08, 2023, 05:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Morris

Quote from: joe cassidy on December 09, 2023, 11:24:04 AMObsolete coaches can always be recycled using etched metal sides.

Having said that, I'm not sure that etched sides are still available these days ?
Yes all you need is new sides, new bogies, new wheels and a decent paint job!

Doing that would be satisfying in that you could be proud of the work you have done but its much easier to buy new ones.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Chris Morris

The best mod I have made to my Farish Mk1s, which are all the latest design, is to fit short shank Hunt magnetic couplings. Gives a nice close coupling and they never become accidentally uncoupled. Magnetic couplings can be added to pretty much any coach as Hunt now have quite a few coupling type options.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Newportnobby

I have to say I have never, in 40 years or so, had coaches uncouple randomly.
Wagons (especially Peco), however, are a different matter but that's drifting off topic

Bigmac

Quote from: Chris Morris on December 12, 2023, 10:58:56 AMThe best mod I have made to my Farish Mk1s, which are all the latest design, is to fit short shank Hunt magnetic couplings. Gives a nice close coupling and they never become accidentally uncoupled. Magnetic couplings can be added to pretty much any coach as Hunt now have quite a few coupling type options.

ive found a touch of tacky wax on the couplings works for me:

very easy to "fit"
very cheap
unobtrusive
easy to remove if needed.

whats not to like ?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

AdeV

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 12, 2023, 11:08:57 AMI have to say I have never, in 40 years or so, had coaches uncouple randomly.
Wagons (especially Peco), however, are a different matter but that's drifting off topic

I've had that more than once with the Lima coaches, especially Lima to Grafar... but then my "test" track has some fairly tight curves, and the Lima couplings aren't the best.
Cheers!
Ade

Trainfish

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 12, 2023, 11:08:57 AMI have to say I have never, in 40 years or so, had coaches uncouple randomly.

I would usually say that you obviously don't have Dapol mk3 coaches then but I'm sure I saw some somewhere in your thread. You must be the luckiest man on earth if you do and they don't.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Chris in Prague

Actually, considering their age, the Minitrix coaches are pretty good. I remember when they were first released, thinking how much better they were in every respect than the Lima ones, which was all that was available then. The sunken windows problem has been fixed by others with an application of that liquid glass stuff.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on December 12, 2023, 04:35:11 PM

I would usually say that you obviously don't have Dapol mk3 coaches then but I'm sure I saw some somewhere in your thread. You must be the luckiest man on earth if you do and they don't.

But Dapol aren't mentioned in the thread title :no:  ;)

Trainfish

Neither were wagons but you brought them into the conversation  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations