Shuttle Units

Started by Newportnobby, November 04, 2023, 11:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I'm putting together a layout design for a friend and would like to have a shuttle running between stations so there can be trains running while the operator plays with the rest of the layout. However, rather than a single line end to end, I'd like a point at each station to make them 2 line termini. Does anyone know if there is such a shuttle unit out there so as to avoid the operator having to manually switch the points? DC operation only.
Thanks in advance for any help

Bob Tidbury

Kent Panel used to make a unit just like that Mick ,but when Julian passed away the company just closed ,I dont know if any other firms make such a unit .
Bob

zwilnik

Can you spring load the point so that a train approaching it facing will take the branched line and change lines, but one coming in the other direction will just push through and stay on the same line? (essentially how they work anyway for trains approaching a point set incorrectly).

Newportnobby

Quote from: zwilnik on November 04, 2023, 12:32:52 PMCan you spring load the point so that a train approaching it facing will take the branched line and change lines, but one coming in the other direction will just push through and stay on the same line? (essentially how they work anyway for trains approaching a point set incorrectly).

Nice idea but I can't see it working as the switch rails would need a strong enough spring to maintain electrical continuity. The idea is to use a code 80 medium point at each end of the line (code 80 throughout this entire layout)

PLD

If I'm understanding correctly you want a single track with a Y form split at each end into two platforms, and when a train arrives in one platform, the train in the other is released.
The way I would do it is to use a standard shuttle unit, then a separate mechanism to change the point after a train arrives in the platform so that the other train is released, either a reed switch activated by a magnet on the train or one of the infrared detectors to activate a relay to change the point.

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on November 04, 2023, 02:53:55 PMYou mean just like this one @Newportnobby ?

Spot on, John. Many thanks. I'd have preferred not to have both trains leaving left to right and then both leaving right to left but it's a damned good way to have some 'handless' fun :)

ntpntpntp

I use a Heathcote shuttle unit and their IR detectors at the ends of two fiddle yards. As well as triggering the shuttle the detectors also fire points in sequence via a diode matrix to perform route selection.  This gives me 7 trains running in sequence between the two yards.  In my case this was to automate running along double track modular boards when not connected into other modules. Although it's double track I just have one train from one end to the other, then another train back along the other line, and so on.

Here are the two yards.  At the top you can see the double track leading out onto the scenic modules - about 14' between the two ends. The IR detectors are where you can see gaps in the sleepers about 4" from the end of each track. The Heathcote shuttle unit is attached to the side wall top left of the right hand box.

My good friend Nigel not having a lot to do as the shuttle system was behaving itself very well :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Trainfish

Quote from: ntpntpntp on November 04, 2023, 04:11:15 PMI use a Heathcote shuttle unit and their IR detectors at the ends of two fiddle yards. As well as triggering the shuttle the detectors also fire points in sequence via a diode matrix to perform route selection.  This gives me 7 trains running in sequence between the two yards.

I think we need to have a chat some time about my shuttle which I want to have points at 1 end only which distribute between 6 bay platforms. The idea being that a train would leave bay 1, travel to the other end, wait a minute, then return to bay 1. Then the points would change to another bay, travel to the other end, wait, return, then another bay and so on until all 6 have left and returned then start again. My main concern was that the IRDOTs in bays 2 - 6 would say that end is occupied and would confuse the shuttle unit if you see what I mean.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

ntpntpntp

@Trainfish I used IRDOT-P units which have a relay to fire the points via diode matrix. They only trigger the shuttle and fire the points on first detection (ie. train arriving at the end of the line). The shuttle unit also has an "inhibit" output which I use to prevent the IR-DOTs mis-firing at the wrong end as the train leaves.

So... train arrives, IR-DOT-P detects it and the points are fired to set for the next train out.   It also tells the shuttle unit to cut track power and start timing ready to run in the other direction. The shuttle then also inhibits all the IRDOT-Ps at that end.

It works very well. The only consideration is when you first power up the shuttle unit will always run the timer first then start off in one particular direction so you'd want that will be to run out of the platform.
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Bealman

Quote from: Trainfish on November 04, 2023, 02:53:55 PMYou mean just like this one @Newportnobby ?

That looks like a good little unit! I can see a lot of applications for that.

Thanks for the heads-up!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob G

Oh goodness. Don't confuse the chap with soldering! You know he's no good at that!

Bob  :angel:

Nbodger

Quote from: Bob G on November 05, 2023, 03:41:22 PMOh goodness. Don't confuse the chap with soldering! You know he's no good at that!

Bob  :angel:

It's ok Bob it's not for NPN, no need to panic he is not attempting to solder  :no:

shaker_wooders

Can this unit handle 3 trains rather than just 2?  If for example there are two platforms at each end, and initially you have a train in positions 1, 2 and 3, can the first train run from 1 to 4, then the next go from 3 to 1, then the next go from 2 to 3, and then the last one from 4 to 2 to complete the sequence?

ntpntpntp

@shaker_wooders As per my previous posts above, if you choose the correct Heathcote shuttle module and arrange suitable detectors and diode matrices for the point motors you can have as as many sidings and trains in the sequence as you choose to lay and wire up. You just need to keep one line clear for the first train to travel into. So my yards have 4 tracks at each end and I run 7 trains in sequence.

I forget exactly which of the Heathcote SA modules I used - I'll have to try and check the board or find the instructions - but basically the shuttle module runs the trains and the detectors plus diodes fire the point sequence. The diode matrix is derived from a "truth table" with inputs and outputs, so for example when a train arrives in siding A you work out which points must fire to select siding B; when the train arrives in B which points must fire for siding C to go next... and so on. when a train arrives in the last siding (D) it fires the points for siding A and the sequence starts again.  Mine had the added complication of switching between double tracks as well so I had to fire points at the far end yard too :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations