The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonclox

Quote from: newportnobby on October 14, 2015, 03:22:51 PM
Today started off with some very minor repairs to the front of my roof which was going to cost £50. When the guy removed a couple of tiles he discovered the felt inside had rotted and there were gaping holes in it, along with rotten battens. The cost went up to £450. Further inspection showed the  :censored: who fitted the soft edges (black plastic pieces which cover the sides of the roof) 2 years ago had not fitted them properly and the main batten running up the side of the roof was rotten in parts. Not only that but he'd just nailed the soft edges into the main batten using inappropriate nails. The soffits are now able to be pulled away from the batten by hand.

A couple of pics of the front................

and a couple of the back..............

So - to remove soft edges, remove soffits and replace everything is now 2 days work and a total cost of £1600. Luckily we have dry weather up here at present.

Am I angry?  :censored: right, I am.

Ouch  :( We suspected such a cost when we had roofing repairs earlier this year but got off lightly.
Bad luck mick but theres no quick/cheap fix to that its a case of biting the bullet and paying up. Its that now or in a years time it could spread to the whole roof unfortunatly
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Skyline2uk

Sorry to hear your suffering Mick.

Owning a house is fun isn't it?!

Any chance of going after the  :censored: who caused this?

Skyline2uk

Caz

Ouch, that looks nasty,  :censored: cowboys.

Important thing is Mick, don't let it get to you and affect your heart even more. 
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

daveg

That's not good Mick- sorry you have this to cope with on top of other stuff.

Hopefully the guy(s) you got working on the place now are 100%and will do a decent job that will last. Silly to say perhaps but try not to get too stressed.

Roofs and rising damp are the two big scary monsters about owning a house especially when they, like (in our case) the owner, is getting on a bit!  :worried:

We currently have a plague of moles. Our grass looks like the Somme. At this rate I'm going to have to get a track-laying lawnmower!!  :doh:

Dave G

Bob Tidbury

Sorry to hear of the problem with your roof Mick at least your a long way from us so you won't get the Cowboys that supposedly repaired ours ,not allowed to mention his name for legal reasons .
Make sure you get the quote in writing and DONT pay up front as they say on the Tele if it's a good tradesman they have accounts at builders merchants so get all the materials on credit anyway .
Don't fret or you'll make yourself worse , look after yourself am thinking of you.
Bob

Newportnobby

Quote from: daveg on October 14, 2015, 05:05:26 PM

We currently have a plague of moles. Our grass looks like the Somme. At this rate I'm going to have to get a track-laying lawnmower!!  :doh:

Dave G

I believe Jasper Carrott has a solution, Dave ;)

MikeDunn

So do I (and it doesn't (necessarily !)) involve Plod coming around !

Pee down the mole hills ... they dinnae like it  ::)  Just make sure no-one's watching ...  :P

daveg

Quote from: newportnobby on October 14, 2015, 08:40:33 PM
Quote from: daveg on October 14, 2015, 05:05:26 PM

Dave G

I believe Jasper Carrott has a solution, Dave ;)

Excellent!

;D

Dave G

daveg

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 14, 2015, 09:09:40 PM

Pee down the mole hills ... they dinnae like it  ::)  Just make sure no-one's watching ...  :P

Cheers Mike!

What 'primer' should I use?

Bishop's Finger, Spitfire or Speckled Hen?  :pint:  :wave:

Dave G

Trainfish

Quote from: daveg on October 14, 2015, 09:20:08 PM
Quote from: MikeDunn on October 14, 2015, 09:09:40 PM

Cheers Mike!

What 'primer' should I use?

Bishop's Finger, Spitfire or Speckled Hen?  :pint:  :wave:

Dave G

Erm none of those Dave, try this, I was drinking it (amongst others) last night and we don't have Moles in our garden any more!

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

paulprice

Well a thought I had another bargain Jubilee to add to my collection, but it arrived today and it does not work.....HELP

railsquid

Quote from: paulprice on October 14, 2015, 10:13:54 PM
Well a thought I had another bargain Jubilee to add to my collection, but it arrived today and it does not work.....HELP
Threaten it with a hammer.

If you hadn't thrown that other loco away, you could have kept it around as a deterrent example.

Newportnobby

Quote from: newportnobby on October 14, 2015, 03:22:51 PM
Today started off with some very minor repairs to the front of my roof which was going to cost £50. When the guy removed a couple of tiles he discovered the felt inside had rotted and there were gaping holes in it, along with rotten battens. The cost went up to £450. Further inspection showed the  :censored: who fitted the soft edges (black plastic pieces which cover the sides of the roof) 2 years ago had not fitted them properly and the main batten running up the side of the roof was rotten in parts. Not only that but he'd just nailed the soft edges into the main batten using inappropriate nails. The soffits are now able to be pulled away from the batten by hand.

It's just got a whole lot worse :doh:
More rotten battens and holed felt have been found and the upshot is I need a complete re-roof. The unpleasant truth is that by the time the work is completed (hopefully middle next week) I will be £7500 out of pocket :o :'(
Just when I had changed my car for a new model three days ago :help:
This will curtail almost everything happening on either of my layouts other than what I already have to hand.

Malc

At £7500, I take it you live in a bungalow so have no one to go halves with.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

dannyboy

Ouch!! £7500  :goggleeyes: I am surprised we can not see the tear drops on the post. The only consolation is that, once it is done, you should not have any more problems with the roof for a long time.  :) David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations