The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprintex

Quote from: Malc on August 12, 2015, 10:51:49 PM
Key loggers aren't that common. You have to visit a dodgy site and let it install some software.

Not always dodgy websites ;) I once visited a website for a good quality music shop to buy some guitar strings for my bro' in law. As soon as the website loaded my AV went mad blocking all sorts of files including various 'downloaders'. I contacted the shop by phone and advised them, seems their site had been hacked unbeknown to them.

This is why I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for a GOOD reliable Internet Security Suite :)

Paul

Malc

Quote from: Sprintex on August 13, 2015, 07:02:53 AM
Key loggers aren't that common. You have to visit a dodgy site and let it install some software.

Not always dodgy websites ;) I once visited a website for a good quality music shop to buy some guitar strings for my bro' in law. As soon as the website loaded my AV went mad blocking all sorts of files including various 'downloaders'. I contacted the shop by phone and advised them, seems their site had been hacked unbeknown to them.

This is why I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for a GOOD reliable Internet Security Suite :)

Paul
Very true Paul. You just don't know what you are going to come across out there. Even the best sites can get hacked. A GOOD internet security suite is worth it's weight in gold.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

To the best of my knowledge I don't visit any 'dodgy' sites and only download anything I'm fairly positive isn't harmful. My AVG has picked nothing up. Yesterday I ran full computer sweeps on both AVG and Malwarebytes and nothing was detected, yet I have been hacked twice in the last 2 weeks :veryangry2: :'(

daveg

Can our 'puter gurus advise if this could be via someone else's email that we were copied in on?

Sort of 'cross-infection'?   :worried:

Dave G

Malc

It is possible that someone has picked up a mail you sent out with a large number of ccs on. If I send on a funny, I use BCC with no addressee. That way, no one gets spammed.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on August 13, 2015, 02:52:19 PM
It is possible that someone has picked up a mail you sent out with a large number of ccs on. If I send on a funny, I use BCC with no addressee. That way, no one gets spammed.

I only use BCC but do people who send me mails do that :uneasy:

railsquid

Quote from: newportnobby on August 13, 2015, 04:13:10 PM
Quote from: Malc on August 13, 2015, 02:52:19 PM

I only use BCC but do people who send me mails do that :uneasy:
Took me 15 years to train my parents to use BCC for forwarding "funnies" (which were funny 15 years ago maybe...).

Newportnobby

I'm still working on that with my Mum, Squiddy. I seem to get reams and reams of her friends' mail addresses ::)

dannyboy

Quote from: Tom U on August 13, 2015, 06:34:58 AM
I have been told that using an on-screen keyboard will prevent keyloggers from recording your input.  Don't know if that is true, but I always use the on-screen keyboard when inputting important data such as bank login etc.

Presumably that would work because, as long as you used the mouse to click on the letters, you are not using any keys. I like the idea of using the on screen keyboard for inputting important data though.  :) David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

steve836

KISS = Keep it simple stupid

daveg

Quote from: steve836 on August 13, 2015, 11:05:16 PM
Whats BCC?

Originally 'Blind Carbon Copy' .i.e. copy to another but name not shown/listed.

Dave G

steve836

OK thanks. Will have to get my computer guru to teach me how! Not that I forward funnies or anything else very often.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Caz

Quote from: dannyboy on August 13, 2015, 09:45:00 PM
Quote from: Tom U on August 13, 2015, 06:34:58 AM
I have been told that using an on-screen keyboard will prevent keyloggers from recording your input.  Don't know if that is true, but I always use the on-screen keyboard when inputting important data such as bank login etc.

Presumably that would work because, as long as you used the mouse to click on the letters, you are not using any keys. I like the idea of using the on screen keyboard for inputting important data though.  :) David.

Using an on screen keyboard used to work but the key logger guys overcame it by grabbing screen shots as you typed, the good guys are always one step behind that's why you need to be on your guard, security software can only do so much.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

Trainfish

Quote from: Sprintex on August 13, 2015, 07:02:53 AM

Paul

Let that be a lesson to you. Never search for a replacement G-string online  :(
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Sprintex

Badum 'tish "I thang yoooo" ;)

Paul

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations