Insuring your railway

Started by daveg, November 23, 2018, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Hi all,

Just read through it all. It has crossed my mind but I'm rubbish at sensible things like insurance, so must do something about it. I'll have a word with Mrs. Sensible when she awakes.

She has lots of marine fish (4 tanks) and I think they're insured so will find out where I stand on the home contents.

Thanks for making me think about it.

Cheers weave  :beers:

PS. To stop people going off topic again, my van is insured, fully comp. I'm not that unsensible  :no:  :)

daffy

Quote from: njee20 on December 01, 2018, 07:38:19 AM
Well yes, obviously companies have motor fleet insurance, which means you don't need to name drivers, you still have to have cover for all vehicles though, it's just under a fleet policy. That still doesn't mean that if you're a millionaire (or anyone) you can somehow just have liability insurance though which makes you compliant. Again, it's the vehicles which need insurance not the person.

Hopefully I can finally put this matter to bed and we can get back to layout and collection insurance, which is not mandatory. ;)

The Road Traffic Act 1988 makes it quite clear that you can in fact effectively self-insure for third party risks.

Provision 143 covers the third party requirement:

"143 Users of motor vehicles to be insured or secured against third-party risks."u

BUT....
Provision 144 covers the exceptions to this requirement, the first of which is quoted here:

"144 Exceptions from requirement of third-party insurance or security.

(1)Section 143 of this Act does not apply to a vehicle owned by a person who has deposited and keeps deposited with the Accountant General of the [F1Senior Courts] the sum of [F2£500,000], at a time when the vehicle is being driven under the owner's control.

[F3(1A)The Secretary of State may by order made by statutory instrument substitute a greater sum for the sum for the time being specified in subsection (1) above.

(1B)No order shall be made under subsection (1A) above unless a draft of it has been laid before and approved by resolution of each House of Parliament.]"

So @The Q is quite right.

:beers:
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

daffy

Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

njee20

Well much like than man in orthopaedic shoes, I stand corrected. I even worked in insurance for years and wasn't aware of that, it wasn't motor in my defence! Apologies to The Q!

Very interesting provision. Originally it was only £15,000, but after 3 months they realised that a lot of people could put that amount forward, but given the liability of a potential claim could be millions it was swiftly raised!

Anyway, yes, layout insurance, which is definitely not mandatory!

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Daffy:

My post was just a comment reflecting my attitude to all that sort of stuff, which unfortunately is a part of everyday life.

My daughter is a lawyer and makes her living out of that sort of stuff.

Unfortunately it bores me to tears, and even more so when I attended the funeral of a good mate yesterday.

It's so trivial at the end of everything.  :beers:

Having suitably depressed half the forum, cheers! Have a beer!  :beers:

daffy

:beers: :beers: :beers:

- and it's only 8:45am here! :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Bealman

Here in Australia we always have a dilemma...

Red or white wine on the cornflakes  ;D

daveg

A difficult choice, George!

Meanwhile, I'm quite pleased the topic stirred a bit of interest and perhaps nudged a few folk to think about protecting their precious railways.

It would seem that we should all ask how our insurers consider our kit. Can it be included in the usual Contents section or if it needs a specific ID under a Collection?

A reminder also that if we switch insurer, ask that key question again.

Have a splendid weekend.  :beers:

Dave G

weave

Quote from: Bealman on December 01, 2018, 08:47:57 AM
Here in Australia we always have a dilemma...

Red or white wine on the cornflakes  ;D

Sweet white on the cornflakes, full bodied red on the side. What's the dilemma? Bunch of Ockers  ;) ;)

Cheers weave  :beers:

Trainfish

Quote from: austinbob on November 30, 2018, 03:49:34 PM
You must have a load of stuff then. I got an online quote of £67.20 for a value of £12k. No public liability though.

I didn't opt for public liability either

Current stock levels are as follows:
Locomotives: 151
Coaches: 222
Wagons: 437
Pre-assembled buildings: 160

So no, not a lot of stock really  :goggleeyes:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

daffy

My wife just saw these stats @Trainfish  :(

Her reaction towards me, not voiced, but clear as crystal, was "Now don't you go getting any silly ideas about buying more stock Mike."

:( :(
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Trainfish

@daffy There's more when I look at the rest of my spreadsheet

133 Oxford diecast vehicles
18 BT Models
29 buildings which have ended up on the wrong tab for some reason
52 Tomytec trucks
2 Vortrak controllers
The list goes on. There are of course lots of scenic items not included in these stats, Bachmann figures, track, electrical/electronical stuff etc

Maybe you need to supply Mrs daffy with a Christmas list
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

daffy

Quote from: Trainfish on December 01, 2018, 12:05:51 PM
@daffy There's more when I look at the rest of my spreadsheet

133 Oxford diecast vehicles
18 BT Models
29 buildings which have ended up on the wrong tab for some reason
52 Tomytec trucks
2 Vortrak controllers
The list goes on. There are of course lots of scenic items not included in these stats, Bachmann figures, track, electrical/electronical stuff etc

Maybe you need to supply Mrs daffy with a Christmas list

Methinks the list will be in use for many, many Christmas's to come.  How much I can reduce its bulk during the remaining 364 days of the year remains to be seen. ;) :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

austinbob

Quote from: Trainfish on December 01, 2018, 11:35:17 AM
Quote from: austinbob on November 30, 2018, 03:49:34 PM
You must have a load of stuff then. I got an online quote of £67.20 for a value of £12k. No public liability though.

I didn't opt for public liability either

Current stock levels are as follows:
Locomotives: 151
Coaches: 222
Wagons: 437
Pre-assembled buildings: 160

So no, not a lot of stock really  :goggleeyes:
Only £160 for all that. Sooo... CHeap.  :D
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations