kato track and peco platform edging question? (not a height adjustment problem)

Started by dean thom, April 21, 2013, 06:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean thom

hello,

im using kato track for my UK based layout and want to use peco platform edging. however the ballast base puts the peco edging quite some distance from stabled stock. i could cut the ballast base to move the edging nearer but i wondered if anyone has a better idea?

dean

Geoff

Just doing my platforms now and am using cardboard packers the measurement is from the top of the track to top of the platform 6mm, so you need approx 3mm of packing.
Geoff

Claude Dreyfus

Well...I had the other problem; PECO track and unitrack platforms. I found the difference in height to be the thickness of cork strip. I think I used Gaugemaster products.

I reckon you could invert this and use the cork to raise the ground level below the platforms to bring the edges closer to the train and to get the correct height.

I would be wary of cutting the track base as it may reduce the integrity of the track.

dean thom

its not the height difference i have a problem with. it is the nearness of the platform to the train. the gap is considerable. Dean

Malc

True to prototype then. You need a boarding ramp on some platforms. You will probably have to use a combination of things - cut the track base a little and adjust the height slightly.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Geoff

By using packing it will allow the platform to go closer to the carriage, there is plenty of different products that will get you to this,  I would not cut kato track as you would make the the rails flimsy, end of the day its your call we can only advise.
Geoff

Claude Dreyfus

Agreed.

My post did mention that by raising the base level below the platform you can move the platform edges closer to the trains.

edwin_m

The Peco edging is about the right height for Peco track on Peco underlay, which is probably a similar height to Kato track.  So if you fix the edging part way up the slope of the ballast base it is likely to be too high. 

Could you cut a strip off the bottom of the edging?

Otherwise cut the side off the ballast base but stick some Plastikard underneath so that the rails are still supported at the original height. 

dean thom

hi all,

thank you all for your comments. the solution i have come up with is to have a 'step'. the platform superstructure will butt up against the kato track and i will affix to this the wooden platform side cladding but leaving 1+1/2 mm gap at the bottom so that the cladding overhangs the moulded ballast base. i'm then going to add some loose ballast to blend everything in. i hope that makes sense and provides a solution to anybody else with the same problem.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations