What's your favourite method for putting locomotive on track?

Started by Grassyfield, February 03, 2024, 05:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo66

By hand for me. This thread has reminded me I did buy a rerailer some time ago.

chrism

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 03, 2024, 05:20:31 PM
Quote from: stevewalker on February 03, 2024, 04:53:17 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on February 03, 2024, 10:08:45 AManything with tyres has the railer gently pulled from under the loco.

I've seen (and intend to try myself) people applying copper tape to the railers, running down each side and under the front edge, so that locos can be driven off the railer and onto the track.

I might give that a go but knowing me I'd turn the controller the wrong way with the inevitable result :doh:

That's what I did for my loco cases - except I used thin brass sheet so I could curl it loosely under the high end of the railer. I found I got more reliable rail contact than wrapping it tightly under the end since I've got a bit of "spring" in the contacts.

I then added sides and an end at the high end, a removable plate closing off the other end and made a lid to go over the whole thing. I've also done some to hold more than one short loco, with a removable divider slotted in between the two.

as to having the controller set in the wrong direction, all that's needed is an end stop glued to the high end of the railer.

dannyboy

Quote from: stevewalker on February 03, 2024, 04:53:17 PMI've seen (and intend to try myself) people applying copper tape to the railers, running down each side and under the front edge, so that locos can be driven off the railer and onto the track.

There are a few commercial versons available, but obviously it would probably be cheaper to make your own.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bigmac

going slightly off topic--is there any reason why locos shouldnt be "parked " on track long term ?
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Jack

I am Kato re-railer user as well. I have a Peco one but prefer the Kato version.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

ntpntpntp

Quote from: Bigmac on February 03, 2024, 07:02:23 PMgoing slightly off topic--is there any reason why locos shouldnt be "parked " on track long term ?

No technical reason, other than they'll collect dust :)  Also I have so many if I had a permanent layout I'd need to change them out for others just so they all get a run :)
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Trainfish

I have about 8 Peco re-railers placed around the layout so there's always 1 handy (as long as you remember to put it back). I generally use these although I do find the Dapol mk3 coaches are too long for them and don't just roll off. Same method as others for most locos sliding the re-railer out rather than pushing the loco off.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

stevewalker

Quote from: Newportnobby on February 03, 2024, 05:20:31 PM
Quote from: stevewalker on February 03, 2024, 04:53:17 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on February 03, 2024, 10:08:45 AManything with tyres has the railer gently pulled from under the loco.

I've seen (and intend to try myself) people applying copper tape to the railers, running down each side and under the front edge, so that locos can be driven off the railer and onto the track.

I might give that a go but knowing me I'd turn the controller the wrong way with the inevitable result :doh:

Not a problem for me, as I'm on DCC and forward is forward - at least for steam locos.

Foxhound

I use a re-railer, mainly because I am a hamfisted oaf, and even varifocals don't help with my eyesight when it comes to N, so I'm grateful for anything that makes it easier to get stock onto the track.
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

Foxhound

Quote from: Trainfish on February 03, 2024, 09:09:04 PMI have about 8 Peco re-railers placed around the layout so there's always 1 handy (as long as you remember to put it back). I generally use these although I do find the Dapol mk3 coaches are too long for them and don't just roll off. Same method as others for most locos sliding the re-railer out rather than pushing the loco off.

Aye, some of my continental stuff overhangs the re-railer too, which is a little frustrating, to say the least!
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £60.23
Below Goal: £39.77
Site Currency: GBP
60% 
April Donations