Hornby/Arnold enter British N Gauge market

Started by Truffles, January 07, 2013, 12:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbridge

Looks like a great little model I also hope it sells well.

I am amazed that the Brighton Belle has become somewhat of a cult train like the Blue Pullman, I used to travel on the BB when I was a 7 and 8 year old kid living at my Nans house in Brighton, had no time for it at all because it didn't have a steam loco pulling it  :doh:
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

pape_timmo

There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Adam1701D

If Dapol are having trouble selling the Class 86, I'm not sure the APT would be commercially viable (though I'd like one).

I can see the Javelin or Pendolino both making a fine modern signature model for a new N Gauge range. There are lots of goodies in the Hornby range that would benefit with the "Shrink Ray" treatment.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Pengi

Quote from: longbridge on January 08, 2013, 01:16:07 AM
Looks like a great little model I also hope it sells well.

I am amazed that the Brighton Belle has become somewhat of a cult train like the Blue Pullman, I used to travel on the BB when I was a 7 and 8 year old kid living at my Nans house in Brighton, had no time for it at all because it didn't have a steam loco pulling it  :doh:

So you'll be buying one then!  >:D ;D I'm looking forward to travelling on one on the 'big' railway.

The BB was second in our poll last year for the loco that you would most like to see in N (in the EMU class). The APT did not feature in the top four, unfortunately.

Now I'll have to consider putting a third rail onto Unitrack (eek!) along with the cat system for my continental trains - life can be complicated in the sparky, arcy world!
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

GWR-Kris

Quote from: Pengy on January 07, 2013, 04:50:55 PM
If you want a Eurostar and can live with 1:160, I can recommend the Kato Eurostar, which is at very good and Kernow will order you the 8 coach version for £136 - a fantastic price.

Would love a Eurostar but not sure how much bigger it is if it would look wrong next to British scale N gauge.

Not sure which livery I would buy the BB in. I like both liveries for different reasons.

BernardTPM

These days Eurostar works on HS1 so won't need to be mixed with 'normal' British trains. Same will apply to Velaro, indeed the latter probably couldn't work off HS1. So 1:160 for those is less of an issue.

Karhedron

Quote from: GWR-Kris on January 08, 2013, 08:16:53 AM
If you want a Eurostar and can live with 1:160, I can recommend the Kato Eurostar, which is at very good and Kernow will order you the 8 coach version for £136 - a fantastic price.
Would love a Eurostar but not sure how much bigger it is if it would look wrong next to British scale N gauge.
1:160 is smaller than 1:148 (by about 8%). Given that the Eurostar is longer than most british trains, having it to a slightly smaller scale does not matter so much. An 8% difference is noticable if you have vehicles to different scales in the same train. Less so if you have separate trains.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

GWR-Kris

Quote from: Karhedron on January 08, 2013, 09:10:01 AM
Quote from: GWR-Kris on January 08, 2013, 08:16:53 AM
1:160 is smaller than 1:148 (by about 8%). Given that the Eurostar is longer than most british trains, having it to a slightly smaller scale does not matter so much. An 8% difference is noticable if you have vehicles to different scales in the same train. Less so if you have separate trains.

I can be stupid at times, I have always assumed they where bigger for some reason.

AndyGif

Quote from: GWR-Kris on January 08, 2013, 09:36:27 AM
I can be stupid at times, I have always assumed they where bigger for some reason.
its because 160 is bigger number than 148, but as its  1 to X  its a smaller ratio.

BernardTPM

If you think of a cake, the more slices you cut it into, the smaller the slices.

tadpole

I'd love a 5BEL. It would be sooo wrong (placewise and timewise) at Salisbury, but no wronger than my 4LAV. It would be slightly less wrong in the blue livery, but I think i'd rather be very wrong and have a brown one.
Two rails good. Three better.

Greybeema

Does anyone know, is the restored Belle in the Cream & Umber or Blue & Grey livery?  I prefer the former but if I am running a charter in the modern age then it should be in the restored colours...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Adam1701D

It's going to be restored in Umber and Cream - probably with the obligatory yellow panel. One of the driving cars was on display at Railfest last year, showing the work that's going to be done.

The restored unit is being fitted with the bogies and traction equipment from a 4-CIG, so will look quite different to the model version what it's ready. The original units were very rough riding, so a good set of B5 bogies will be a vast improvement.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Greybeema

Thanks Adam, I am sure I can rationalise out the B5 bogies to have one of these babies....  I knew the Catering Manager for the Belle.  I understand you used to only get a half bowl of soup served because of the hard ride...
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

Newportnobby

Quote from: Greybeema on January 08, 2013, 07:37:18 PM
I understand you used to only get a half bowl of soup served because of the hard ride...

OK, OK, it's off topic but I couldn't resist.........

Two Soups

Sorry - am in frivolous mode tonight :-[

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations