'Pointless' or 'Priceless???

Started by Newportnobby, May 26, 2015, 09:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

On the game show 'Pointless' today a category for questions was 'Famous Historical Figures' which was then narrowed down to 'Assassinations'.

One of the contestants stated they only knew the answer to one of the questions entitled 'Who was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas?'...............to which her answer was 'J.R.'

Priceless :D

Trainfish

NOW we know, thanks Mick, I've been wondering for years who actually shot JR  :thumbsup:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on May 26, 2015, 09:30:20 PM
NOW we know, thanks Mick, I've been wondering for years who actually shot JR  :thumbsup:

It was Kirsten ;D

Malc

I must admit to being a fan of Pointless and The Chase. Yes, you do get some funny answers. It's always fun watching Bradley Walsh corpsing at some German athlete's name. It took him about a minute to compose himself after pronouncing this skiier's name.
http://youtu.be/LCVuarcvJWU
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Agrippa

I saw the  Pointless episode with JR .very funny. I quite like the show with  the banter
between Richard and Alexander Armstrong.Often after Pointless I change over to BBC2
to watch Eggheads. A few weeks ago when Kevin was given a multiple choice question
there was an unintentional double entendre and he actually smirked, first time I've seen
any sign of life from that miserable git.

Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: newportnobby on May 26, 2015, 09:13:11 PM
On the game show 'Pointless' today a category for questions was 'Famous Historical Figures' which was then narrowed down to 'Assassinations'.

One of the contestants stated they only knew the answer to one of the questions entitled 'Who was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas?'...............to which her answer was 'J.R.'

:laughabovepost:  I didn't see the programme but I do believe it. It's sad to see how far the British educational system has fallen. :'(
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Bealman

Yeah that Chase clip is classic. Haven't seen the JR one but it sounds good!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Jonny

There is another chase clip re Andy Capp which is very funny too.
Live each day as if it's your last

As one day you may be right.

Carlisle to Silloth. 1854-1964
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlisle_and_Silloth_Bay_Railway

D1042 Western Princess

While the quiz show is well known to British viewers I realise that others from outside the UK on this site may not know it.
This is a short explanation of how it works - apologies to those who already know.
The game originated as a joke but has since become mainstream. In most quiz/game shows you have to find the popular answers but in Pointless the reverse is true.
100 people are asked to find answers to various questions before the show. These are then rated as per how many gave that answer so the figure could be anywhere from 100 to 0, a 'pointless answer' which scores nothing and adds money to the jackpot. At the end of the round the contestants with the highest score are out of the game while those with the lowest go on to the next round.
Giving a wrong answer such as "Who was shot in Dallas?" and answering JR Ewing would score 100 points!

If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

DarthBadger

An absolute classic - I'm still sniggering

railsquid

Quote from: D1042 Western Princess on May 27, 2015, 08:04:19 AM
While the quiz show is well known to British viewers I realise that others from outside the UK on this site may not know it.
This is a short explanation of how it works - apologies to those who already know.
The game originated as a joke but has since become mainstream. In most quiz/game shows you have to find the popular answers but in Pointless the reverse is true.
100 people are asked to find answers to various questions before the show. These are then rated as per how many gave that answer so the figure could be anywhere from 100 to 0. At the end of the round the contestants with the highest score are out of the game while those with the lowest go on to the next round.
Giving a wrong answer such as "Who was shot in Dallas?" and answering JR Ewing would score 100 points!

Thanks, I vaguely recall seeing that once and failing to comprehend what it was about (jetlag didn't help).

Tom U

Many decades ago, I lived (working) in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
We had no TV, but there was a radio quiz show, based on University Challenge, for high school kids.
One question was:  "Who is the present queen of England?"
Answer: "Queen Elizabeth the second"
Quiz master:  "Wrong, it is Queen Elizabeth the eleventh".

Priceless.

davidinyork

Private Eye has a regular column - 'Dumb Britain' - dedicated to this sort of thing!

Newportnobby

Quote from: DarthBadger on May 27, 2015, 08:11:41 AM

An absolute classic - I'm still sniggering

Her answer was bad enough but then on the second round the bloke she was with answered a question about ' which French revolutionary was stabbed to death in a bath?' by stating it was Joan of Arc.
More hilarity ensued and needless to say they got no further in the show.

Malc

The film,"the madness of King George" is about George 111. However, they had to drop the regnal number because the Americans would think they had missed the 2 preceding films.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations