Dapol 2nd batch class 50's

Started by STEVE44, September 10, 2021, 06:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col-T

I had an e-mail yesterday and spoke to Kernow, who took payment for my pre-order of the GBRf Class 50's. They expected them to be delivered to them today (Friday 6th). But I guess it will take a day or two for the website to get updated if this is the case.

njee20

That's exciting. And the credit card takes another hammering!  :doh:

Trainfish

Quote from: GlenEglise on May 04, 2022, 08:42:30 PM
I am purchasing one through The Fifty Fund.

I was recently advised that they would be available sometime in May.

Regards,

GE

It looks like I ordered and paid for 50 033 from the Fifty Fund in July last year. If that's the case then I may have to order 50 046 from Rails. Should look good next to 50 037, 50 033 (Farish version), 50 043, 50 040, 50 037, 50 049 and 50 024 which I already have. I seem to have 2x 50 017 bodies in Maroon too for some reason  :doh:

EDIT: 21 minutes later 50 046 has also been ordered now  :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

jamespetts

I found them in stock at Kernow this morning and ordered some in revised NSE livery.
Peertube > Youtube

jamespetts

I received mine yesterday and ran them on the Model Railway Club test tracks this evening:

Dapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

Dapol Class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

Unlike the first batch, they came without the detail pipes fitted: these were all loose in an accompanying bag. I am told that this is because some models in the first batch had trouble going around very tight curves because of the pipes, although I had no trouble on my layout.

One of the two that I bought had a problem in that one of the bogies fell apart when I took it out of the box. However, once I had found all the wheels and clipped the bogie frame back on again, and then turned the wheels around to face the correct direction, it seemed to run without problems, so it must simply have been a loose clip.

These will be renumbered to 50024 "Vanguard":

50024 Reading by Carl Looker, on Flickr

and 50050 "Fearless":

50050 Oxford by Carl Looker, on Flickr
Peertube > Youtube

njee20

How's the blue alongside a Farish mk2? Is it the darker blue, it looks like a bit of a mix of the original and the darker. I vaguely recall discussion that 50018 never wore the darker blue, but entirely possible I'm making that up.

jamespetts

Quote from: njee20 on May 13, 2022, 02:37:24 AM
How's the blue alongside a Farish mk2? Is it the darker blue, it looks like a bit of a mix of the original and the darker. I vaguely recall discussion that 50018 never wore the darker blue, but entirely possible I'm making that up.

I have not yet compared this with any other colours, but the colouring in a mobile telephone picture in somewhat marginal lighting can be a little misleading.
Peertube > Youtube

jamespetts

Some colour comparisons as requested. First of all, a comparison between the first and second batch NSE colours:

Dapol class 50 by James Petts, on Flickr

The second batch colour seems less bright and saturated, and closer to the actual NSE colour. However, it is still intended to represent the earlier, lighter shade of NSE blue, as was carried by 50018 "Resolution":

50018 Gillingham by Carl Looker, on Flickr

We can see this by comparing it to the Farish mk. 1 carriage in NSE livery, which represents this earlier, lighter shade:

By contrast, the colour matches less well with the Farish mk. 2A, representing the later, darker colour:

Peertube > Youtube

Which class 50s had the earlier NSE light blue with the later style of stripes, without the upsweep, like 50018 in the Dapol model. Does anybody know?

Cheers

Tom.

jamespetts

Quote from: 43095 on May 14, 2022, 11:29:24 PM
Which class 50s had the earlier NSE light blue with the later style of stripes, without the upsweep, like 50018 in the Dapol model. Does anybody know?

Cheers

Tom.

I believe that at least the following (and perhaps others) had them as of mid-1989:

50024 "Vanguard"
50030 "Repulse"
50028 "Tiger"
50048 "Dauntless"
50050 "Fearless"

Probably also some others - a good way to check is to search Flickr for the locomotive number (without a space) and the year (the two numbers being separated by a space).
Peertube > Youtube

Thanks James. I saw 50030 in 1989 so maybe that's the one for me! I'd like to model 50023 "Howe" but it may only have had the darker blue.

Cheers

Tom.

jamespetts

Quote from: 43095 on May 15, 2022, 12:12:19 AM
Thanks James. I saw 50030 in 1989 so maybe that's the one for me! I'd like to model 50023 "Howe" but it may only have had the darker blue.

Cheers

Tom.

I believe that 50023 "Howe" went straight from original NSE livery:

50023 Bristol by Carl Looker, on Flickr

into revised NSE livery with dark blue:

50023 passes Cholsey on 18 August 1989 by 1V44 (Chris Morrison), on Flickr

This transition appears to have occurred during 1989.
Peertube > Youtube

Thanks. That's how I remember it. What a great coaching stock rake in the second photo. Mk2c BFK, Mk1 RB(R), 2e TSO, 2c TSO, 2d TSO, 2e TSO, ?2e FO, 2d BFK. Such a lot of coaching stock variety all in one train; nothing unusual back in 1989. Those Mk2c TSO in blue/grey were truly manky coaches to travel in by 1989 - overlooked from any refurbishment programme and earmarked for early withdrawal as they were the last non-air conditioning Mk2's used by InterCity.

Sorry about the digression from Dapol class 50s.

Cheers

Tom.

I would be interested to see the final version of 50149, if anyone has received one yet.

STEVE44

Hi, I have just opened the door to the postman to receive my fifty fund class 50 50033. Lovely surprise.  Already on layout and runs a treat. Also in the little bag we're headboards two off. Nice touch. The fifty fund throw in a bottle opener for the long wait.
Cheers Steve.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations