what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

steve836

Been adding backscenes to Cromford but this site won't let me add pics anymore.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Bad Raven

Not sure if this qualifies since they are not (yet) ON the layout..............  ;)

Yesterday I was 3D printiing Windows Frames, then Doors. Now have good stocks of various types. Have a stock of houses printed needing them.

Today (After doing some real world painting of an outside house wall, Don't Ask), it has been printing stairs in various forms and types, particularly as my "Wyrefleet" board will have numerous steps down from a raised promenade/sea wall to the beach.

Earlier last week I printed some cars, Citroen DS, and a Renault Dauphine, amongst the more common of the "foreigners" in the extremely loose time period I'm doing. Also a couple of Hudson Hornets somewhat anglicised, scaled and re-proportioned as ambiguous late 40's early 50's. Tomorrow its "sit up and beg" E93A time. And hopefully an Austin Metropolitan
Dave

Greygreaser

Commitment is a wonderful thing and at last I'm pinning track to underlay and leaving it down - will it be correct in all respects? 🤔🤞
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

PGN

I have spent the morning (and much of the afternoon) doing the papier mache work for the landscaping of the up (village) end of Neraland 2.

My worst fear has been realised ... the least well supported parts of the card sub-structure have sagged a bit. It is remediable ... but it means a bit more work for yours truly!
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

steve836

I've been doing something similar. The hills at the Leabrook end of Cromford were too high and obscured the backscene so they had to be lowered. Have cut down the formers and now have to do the cross members before I can apply the paper towel layer and scatter. Always seems a shame to destroy what I did previously, but should be worth it in the end.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

KevTheBusDriver

Today I offered up the top 'valences' that go around the top of the portico outside the station at Walsall. The portico itself was built in about 2016...(progress is inching along).  The real one existed from 1923 to 1978.

tutenkhamunsleeping

KevTheBusDriver

Quote from: tutenkhamunsleeping

I walked under the real one a good few times back in the day :thumbsup:
/quote]

Just in case - you don't happen to have a colour photo of the Durham Ox (the pub on the left of the station)? I've built it but have had to guess the colours!
cheers!
Kev

PGN

OK ... I think I've cured the papier mache sag ... am now moving on to ground texture and blending the buildings and structures into the landscape.
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Foxhound

This weekend I will be continuing the eradication of trackpins and Peco underlay roll and using double sided tape instead. I've found that, particularly on raised scenic sections, the pins just don't grip and the track gets a bit 'floaty', resulting in the odd uncoupling and even a derailment (Dapol 67s - lovely on long flat straights, gentle inclines or rad 3 curves, but a mare on rad 2 curves....).

The section I've done so far has shown a marked improvement in stability. Pictures over the weekend, possibly.
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

stevewalker

Not exactly on my layout, but to protect it - replacing the failed felt on the shed roof, with box section steel roofing sheets, ridge and barge boards.

zwilnik

Now the glue's just about dry enough on my incline box, I was able to test how easily my locos can make the climb on each of the 4 lines (although theoretically only 2 of them will be climbs in normal running it needed checking to make sure the track was smooth anyway).

To do the test I brought out my most problematic loco as far as traction is concerned, my Dapol 14xx with its distorted axle box (manufacturing fault) and general lack of weight over the driving wheels (design fault). It struggles to pull itself along unless the incline is *really* small and regular and can only just pull a couple of lightweight coaches on the flat. So I was quite happy that it was able to pull a relatively draggy old coach up all 4 inclines without blowing up :)

Spotted a couple of bits where the incline could be smoothed out with adjustments, so hopefully I'll be able to put the incline box at the back of the layout ready to use.

KevTheBusDriver

Today I woke up and decided to be brave and tackle a job I'd been dreading for a while - re-lettering and naming a Farish 'Peak'. It was taken out of the box 2 days ago as 45114... it is now 60 'Lytham St Annes'. Numbers and names from Railtech Transfers, double arrows are 1981-vintage Methfix, data panels from Woodhead Models (another very old sheet of waterslide transfers). The headcode 4S88 is just a bit of photo glued in after the black paint was scraped off the inside. The nameplates were applied just like the normal Railtech waterslide transfers. It looks okay to me!
Point of note: the loco carries 60 on one side and 45022 the other.
Thanks to the sun for assisting with the photos!
Happy modelling, eveyone!

Foxhound

Quote from: KevTheBusDriver on March 25, 2021, 09:00:49 PM
Today I woke up and decided to be brave and tackle a job I'd been dreading for a while - re-lettering and naming a Farish 'Peak'. It was taken out of the box 2 days ago as 45114... it is now 60 'Lytham St Annes'. Numbers and names from Railtech Transfers, double arrows are 1981-vintage Methfix, data panels from Woodhead Models (another very old sheet of waterslide transfers). The headcode 4S88 is just a bit of photo glued in after the black paint was scraped off the inside. The nameplates were applied just like the normal Railtech waterslide transfers. It looks okay to me!
Point of note: the loco carries 60 on one side and 45022 the other.
Thanks to the sun for assisting with the photos!
Happy modelling, eveyone!

Kev, that's epic! Do you do renumbering commissions?  ;)
It's a beautiful job - my 45114 has red bufferbeams, grey roof, white strips etc., did you sort all that out beforehand?
Rob and Becky (artistic director)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations