what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

Sorting the track joins and doing a bit of realignment before I start ballasting. Rearranged the lines in the station area, I'd barely left enough room for platforms, realised it after I'd passed a coach with pens attached along each track it was that obvious.
A few weeks back when clearing the room I found two bags of Meldon Ballast (from Osborns) and put them somewhere safe - so safe I now can't find where I put them!!!!!!!!! (poor old chap 'e's gettin past it) I do know they are in the room, or at least I don't recall takng them elsewhere knowing I would soon need them.
But as we all know "Somwhere is the safest place to put things"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Hailstone

Quote from: Dorsetmike on January 05, 2021, 04:11:52 PM
Sorting the track joins and doing a bit of realignment before I start ballasting. Rearranged the lines in the station area, I'd barely left enough room for platforms, realised it after I'd passed a coach with pens attached along each track it was that obvious.
A few weeks back when clearing the room I found two bags of Meldon Ballast (from Osborns) and put them somewhere safe - so safe I now can't find where I put them!!!!!!!!! (poor old chap 'e's gettin past it) I do know they are in the room, or at least I don't recall takng them elsewhere knowing I would soon need them.
But as we all know "Somwhere is the safest place to put things"

I have been guilty of doing that more than once and I'm a relative youngster!

Regards,

Alex

Greygreaser

Been trying to work out the best points layout at the major crossing and concluded that I'd arranged 2 points and a crossing to form a single slip crossing! Thought I'd see about buying one but at RailsofSheffield they are £33.95 so going to use my "stock" of points.

Getting to old to remember all the variations on a theme of points, have used Y, short, medium, long and curved so far just got catch left to place!
Plenty of time ahead to stay in the workshop now we have another lockdown- not sure if that's good though and the dog misses me when I go modelling🥴
Stay safe folks the jab will come sometime this year, cheers Chris
A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Newportnobby

Quote from: Dorsetmike on January 05, 2021, 04:11:52 PM
I'd barely left enough room for platforms, realised it after I'd passed a coach with pens attached

That must have been extremely painful, Mike :ouch: :worried:

Trainfish

Still trying to decide on how I'm going to wire this lot

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Greygreaser

John, do you do loans too? There's a fortune in points and double slip crossings - will you actually use all the options for train movements I wonder.
I've reduced the prototype at Reedham by 2 points as I never saw the option of using them in prototype movements!
It also simplified the wiring as there's a branch working in alternate directions connected to the points.

A jack of all trades is a master of none, but often times better than a master of one.

Trainfish

Quote from: Greygreaser on January 05, 2021, 08:37:08 PM
John, do you do loans too? There's a fortune in points and double slip crossings
Sorry, not at the moment, I could do with a loan myself right now. I've collected loads of points, slips etc over time so even with no income right now I didn't have to put my hand in my pocket  :thumbsup: Rails Hattons prices come to £205.50 for the bare slips, points and crossover (although they have none in stock anyway) so I do need to get this right first time.

Quote from: Greygreaser on January 05, 2021, 08:37:08 PM
will you actually use all the options for train movements I wonder.

The short answer is yes. The centre lines are the main up and down lines. The bottom is a reversible loop. The top is a reversible end to end. My fiddle yard  and TMD will feed the bottom track from both sides so I can run anything onto and off the 4 lines from either direction and means I don't need crossovers anywhere else.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Greygreaser

Been reading ll sorts of information about transition curves to help avoid that "whip" you see as model trains enter or leave a curve onto/off a straight section. There's some whiz calculations and and all sorts of ideas about using increasing sizes of Tracksetta etc etc etc.

I thought about this and decided that having marked on the baseboard the restricted line of the 'bend' it made sense that half way round the radius would be smallest.  So i put the 9" Tracksetta in the centre of the length of  flexi track and then bent the free ends to meet the adjoining tracks. Pin the centre point several places before removing the Tracksetta or it will flex to a regular radius when you lift out the guide!!!
Here's the principle showing the transition shape with a 9" radius Tracksetta at the centre

Greygreaser

Since my last post I've fitted a new toilet and sink in the upstairs loo😀👍
I've also been trying to reduce the curves in part of the layout prior to finally fixing the track. The single slip has now been reconfigured using 2 Minitrix curved points so its a curved" version

The East board has been laid out in a trial version using SH track to check radii, clearances and scenic spaces.

The power pack has been test assembled and all the connections tested with the multimeter. There are 4 transformers giving 5 18vac 1amp supplies for 3 controllers Station Stop and HF cleaner, 1 18vc @ 2.5amp for the CDU and 1 18vac into the converter module for a variable DC supply (probably 10.5v) for LEDs and signal lamps. This will be enclosed in a fan ventilated box with a switched fused inlet and a D-Sub 15 way socket outlet. - box is drying th pVA joints!
Have LOs thought about marking the board for trial track to be removed and cork strip applied. Made a width-it stick, 25mm wide to match the cork and with 2 grooves to fit the track - pencil pen or marker runs alongside

Newportnobby

Quote from: Greygreaser on January 27, 2021, 08:06:13 PM
There are 4 transformers giving 5 18vac 1amp supplies for 3 controllers Station Stop and HF cleaner

HF cleaner? Do you consider that really necessary? Few folks use them nowadays.

Greygreaser

Not sure about the HF cleaner but the workshop isn't the cleanest place and so it's switchable to any of the 3 controllers. In time I might abandon it simply by not switching it into the wiring circuit.
Currently looking for a motorised junction bracket signal in N - Dapol might be bringing one out at about £45 but I've also been looking at PWM servos and controllers to build something. Costs are £17 for the 2 electronics bits and £8.25 for a Ratio signal kit - ideas welcome👍🥴

jpendle

I wouldn't have an HF "Cleaner" anywhere near my locos.
They don't clean the track and can fry the components in modern loco's.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Greygreaser

Ive seen reports that HF cleaners and DCC don't mix but I'm into DCand many of the items I bought back in the '80s and never got round to building a layout.
Recent purchases have also been 'ancient' DC locos and the layout is being built with 'signal box' control very much in mind as its on the cusp of steam and diesel!
its all a bit 'tonge in cheek' and meant to have a streak of humour in the finished diaorama but to be enjoyable for any enthusiast to operate.

Currently finishing the power box which has 4 transformers AC/DC converter and ventilation fan, mains switched and fused inlet and D-sub 15 way socket for power circuits outbound. All soldered joints and earthing checked with multimeter prior to mains being connected.

KevTheBusDriver

Right now? This week's project has been going on for about a month...
St Pauls Chuirch, Walsall: so far so good...

Constructed with cereal packets, polystyrene & pva. And much bigger than any available kits!

PGN

I'm trying to figure out the causes of and cure for a couple of sudden big voltage fluctuations at half a dozen points around my layout ...
Pre-Grouping: the best of all possible worlds!

I would rather build a model which is wrong but "looks right" than a model which is right but "looks wrong".

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations