what are people doing on their layout right now

Started by B1 61126, August 16, 2011, 07:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

Decided to re lay a couple of tight 9 inch curves in two corners that were among my first attempts at using Code 55 flex...I wish there were some code 55 "set track" sections for tight radii !!

richie894

Just started work on making a wood helix. Planning on adding a lower level fiddle yard.

steve836

Quote from: Tdm on June 25, 2014, 02:08:41 PM
Shouldn't these posts be in the Jokes Section ?   :D
No joke section is for funny  :laugh:
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: sparky on June 25, 2014, 02:31:19 PM
Decided to re lay a couple of tight 9 inch curves in two corners that were among my first attempts at using Code 55 flex...I wish there were some code 55 "set track" sections for tight radii !!

I found in practice that Set Track and Code 55 go together beautifully but if you want to make doubly sure Peco do some connecting sections which are (effectively Code 55 at one end and Set Track at the other.
Fleitrack is not really intended for tight curves and I would, if I could, avoid 9" radius and go for larger. On my layout the few Set Track curves (in hidden sections) have all been 4th radius for various reasons, not least of which is more reliability of running and less rolling resistance for the train but realise, of course, space can be very tight at times.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Chetcombe

Quote from: steve836 on June 25, 2014, 08:08:19 PM
Quote from: Tdm on June 25, 2014, 02:08:41 PM
Shouldn't these posts be in the Jokes Section ?   :D
No joke section is for funny  :laugh:

Sorry for taking this thread :offtopicsign: but I am still intrigued by the invasion into newportnobby's belly button... I have emailed the Dyson Co about a new product opportunity in the micro-vac belly button space  :idea:
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Bealman

Yeah and I still want to know why Paul was painting staples (or was that STABLES for MLPs)  :D

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

D1042 Western Princess

Quote from: Bealman on June 26, 2014, 05:36:05 AM
Yeah and I still want to know why Paul was painting staples (or was that STABLES for MLPs)  :D

George

As do I. Come on Paul, spill the beans!
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

Tdm

Well I have just made a flagpole out of a Chinese chopstick, and it struck me that a couple of chopsticks might be good for retrieving bits out of your belly button - have you got any chopsticks Mick?
As regards staples - well I have used a couple myself to hold the track down where a track pin wouldn't work, and I did paint over it so that it blended in with the sleepers it was covering.

tutenkhamunsleeping

Quote from: Tdm on June 26, 2014, 10:10:54 AM
Well I have just made a flagpole out of a Chinese chopstick, and it struck me that a couple of chopsticks might be good for retrieving bits out of your belly button

Flying a navel ensign, I trust ;)

Bealman

texhorse

I've been busy waving a soldering iron around over my depot tracks today, converting the sidings to DCC, and changing metal fishplates to plastic ones.

I've finished about half the depot in one day.

Andy
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Newportnobby

This afternoon, I har been mainly wielding a circular saw, jig saw, drill etc in an effort to make plywood backscenes/boxing for my layout Bletchford.
No disasters to report....................................yet :uneasy:

tutenkhamunsleeping

1) Gluing track down in some areas where I'm happy with the final plan.

2) Experimenting with reed switches under Kato points.  Seems to work if positioned correctly in relation to the sliding magnets and thus gives a handy digital reading of the point position for computer/signalling/panel indicator purposes 8)

Bealman

That sounds pretty impressive!  :thumbsup:

Like your excellent latest photographs in 'On this day'  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Spent a very pleasant 3 hours in the garden performing mindless destructive violence on totally innocent plywood to further create backscenes/boxing for Bletchford.
Managed to drill through a piece of wood with my finger behind the wood but luckily just burred some skin off. :ouch: :oopssign:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations