A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpendle

Quote from: Jack on December 13, 2021, 09:29:35 AM
It seems that all sorts of industries are crying out for some form of computerised chips, from Car Manufacturers to toy train owners, and everything in between. Shortage of roar materials apparently. I believe the mighty Apple Corporation had to cut back on production of iPhones recently for the same reason.

Right now things are crazy, we are hearing from large manufacturers getting orders for 300,000 (that's three hundred thousand) IC's cancelled in favour of the 3,000,000 IC order that someone else placed. Lead times are through the roof and we can't deliver in the 4-6 weeks that used to be normal, but that's generally not a problem cos our customers can't get the other things they need either to actually make anything either!

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Invicta Alec

Quote from: ntpntpntp on December 13, 2021, 10:23:21 AM
Quote from: Spanners70 on December 13, 2021, 08:43:02 AM
! Carnt believe no one on here is running the kato 800 as dcc?

There are certainly folk out there with chips in their 800s. I think there are two or three different decoder manufacturers with a suitable offering for the main decoder and the function chips for the lights (isn't the Kato branded set actually made by Digitrax?)

@Invicta Alec  yours is all done isn't it?

Yes mine is all done and runs DCC.
I had pre-ordered my 800 with Keith@traintrax and also ordered the decoder set of 3 pieces.
The decoder set came in a pair of little clear plastic boxes with Kato inlays. All the text was in Japanese which didn't help the slightly fiddly installation.
The train runs beautifully but I'm still thinking about selling it because of the work involved that I need to make to the layout to properly incorporate it (platform lengths and adjustments mainly).

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

mickeyflinn

Plaza Japan have all the decoders back in stock. I've just had notification that mine have been shipped, so possibly they might arrive before Christmas (but not holding my breath).

When I ordered my 800 set from TrainTrax, I ordered the decoders at the same time, but Keith emailed me to say he had only received a small percentage of what he had ordered, so it was on a first come, first served basis. As I was late to order, I missed out!!

pinball

Quote from: Invicta Alec on December 13, 2021, 05:24:39 PM
The train runs beautifully but I'm still thinking about selling it because of the work involved that I need to make to the layout to properly incorporate it (platform lengths and adjustments mainly).

I'm not a fan of the 800s to put it mildly (I drive them and I am an HST man through and through), but I would urge you not, to sell it. Looks a fantastic model regardless of my own view on the real thing and we have plenty of places we stop where the full length of the train is not platformed - even with 5 car units. It looks great on that video.

Invicta Alec

@pinball ,

Thank you for your comment concerning the non-platforming of the 5 car!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Chris Morris

All you need is a sign.

Those of you who know me will realise this is at Dawlish Warren. There a quite a lot of them along the up loop. They are there because class 800s do sometimes stop at Dawlish Warren and some of them are too long for the platform. They shortened the platforms back in the 1980s.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

pinball

A good example of what happens is at Frome.

The 5 / 9 (and obscured 10) board in this video are all off the end of the platform at Frome (where a 5 car does not fit - but 9 coach 800s stop here daily), and show the Class 800 stopping position (the train should be stopped with the board in the side window of the cab). The on board computer has the stops programmed in, so as long as the train is stopped at the correct position the train should recognise the location and which doors will open when release is given.

(The HST boards are also off the platform and a similar procedure applied to them. HSTs with first class leading would be drawn up so the board was in the side cab window. When first class was trailing, the power car was run off. This is so the guards accommodation and van is always platformed).

It would be perfectly accurate just putting a small stop board either at the end of the platform, the platform slope or slightly off it as a stopping position. No need to do any real major work to the layout to accommodate these trains. All it needs to even be is an "S" board for all formations - these exist in a number of locations for these trains (some say S - some specify the length 5 - 10), not that I expect you are planning on running a 10 car formation. The LNER platforms use identical signage as well - but I believe some say "ALL" rather than "S".

Trainfish

Quote from: Chris Morris on December 18, 2021, 07:46:01 PM
All you need is a sign.

Those of you who know me will realise this is at Dawlish Warren. There a quite a lot of them along the up loop. They are there because class 800s do sometimes stop at Dawlish Warren and some of them are too long for the platform. They shortened the platforms back in the 1980s.

And I thought this sign was an alternative to one saying No Smoking  :dunce:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

EtchedPixels

Quote from: mickeyflinn on December 16, 2021, 07:13:02 AM
When I ordered my 800 set from TrainTrax, I ordered the decoders at the same time, but Keith emailed me to say he had only received a small percentage of what he had ordered, so it was on a first come, first served basis. As I was late to order, I missed out!!

I ordered mine and the decoder. I've had no contact since about the decoder and |I think in the new year I'm going to simply return the model and require a refund.

No hard feelings towards traintrax but it's completely useless to me and this has gone on for too long now.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

osborns

the good news, at last, is the decoders are on their way but I would expect to get our supply immediately after Christmas (first FedEx delivery after the break)

Jack

GOOD NEWS!

Just paid my invoice with Keith at TrainTrax for my DCC89 Decoder Set.  :claphappy: :claphappy:

I came very close to cancelling and getting the decoders elsewhere. Glad I didn't, saved myself over £20!

Happy Days!

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Graham

hopefully mine will be on their way from Kernow very shortly.

njee20

I've got the motor decoder from Zimo already, but no lighting ones. Not sure what to do now. Don't really need the full set. I've not looked closely enough to see if they do them individually.

Hightower

Quote from: njee20 on December 24, 2021, 10:12:28 PM
I've got the motor decoder from Zimo already, but no lighting ones. Not sure what to do now. Don't really need the full set. I've not looked closely enough to see if they do them individually.

They do, it's the FL12 decoder. My pre order for a replacement one was completed yesterday by Hattons.

Chris Morris

Although it isn't perfect, based on looks, performance and value I rate the Kato 800 as the model of the year for 2021.

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations