A British domestic train from Kato? 800 series available from May 2021

Started by woodbury22uk, February 09, 2019, 10:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulCheffus

Quote from: njee20 on August 28, 2022, 09:12:57 AM
Not sure of your point anymore? If you want to use Railcom and have an 800 then the Kato badged decoders are useless. The Zimo ones are not. Telling people that it's because they didn't confirm this before is very much "ackchyually" levels of internet pedantry, particularly as this is not a common behaviour.

Hi

Therein lies my point it's not obvious they are not compatible before you purchase. This information has only just been found out when I tried to use the decoders on my 800 after fourteen months of waiting for them to arrive. I personally don't use RailCom and had been playing with it whilst testing a DIY RailCom reader. I had left RailCom turned on as it didn't seem to affect anything until now.

It's alright people coming along now saying they are not compatible when lots of people who may use RailCom have already bought them.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Chris Morris

Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Spanners70

Just got myself another 800 but it's a noisy runner, sounds almost like a garish with a split gear. I've removed the drive shafts and still the same so it's from the motor, anyone any ideas or if I can get a replacement motor? I'm not sure how to remove the motor from the chassis to investigate further thanks all

GWR_XC

Some of the class 800s can be abit on the noisy side, don't think it's anything to worry about I have read others who have had noisy 800s too, I have been running one for more than a year absolutely no problem at all.

Intercity

I had a few Kato locomotives that ran noisy, for the most part a squeal, a touch of light oil on the motor bearings and they ran almost silent

CaleyDave

I was wondering if anyone who was at the show in York can confirm, was a 9 car version of the 800 announced?

jpendle

I wasn't there but I asked the same question and it was confirmed that it was announced in Mr Kato's presentation.

There don't seem to many details available yet though.

Regards,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

Chris Morris

Its not on the Kato production schedule which seems to go up to October this year.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Ben A

Hi all,

During Hiroshi Kato's talk on both days he confirmed that Kato have tooled up the additional coaches to create a 9-car Class 800 and he expected these models to be here by Spring 2024.

cheers

Ben A.

pape_timmo

9 car IETs... nice.

Looking forward to these then...

Cheers Timmo
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Trainfish

I need to measure my platforms. I think these will be too long though and I'll have to stick with my 2x GWR 5-car sets along with the 5-car LNER set unless I buy a bigger house.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

pape_timmo

John, there are plenty of stations on the GWR network where a 9 car cannot fit. We have automatic selective door opening for such locations. Even 5 cars can't fit on many stations on the Berks & Hants.

Cheers, Timmo

My YouTube channel

Trainfish

This is of course very true but I don't think there are many/any which have multiple sets of points at the ends of the stations which would stop anything else running on my layout if I have a 9-car train parked up. I definitely need a bigger house/loft.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

pape_timmo

On GWR we run 12 car Class 387s out of Paddington to Didcot and beyond.
On the Paddington Didcot stoppers we run into platform 3 at Didcot that fits 12 on, then have to shunt to the west end and wait to return into platform 4 to commence the return stopper to Paddington, but 12 cars don't fit on platform 4, so the train is foul of the points accessing the northbound Chester line curve and the route to Oxford.
One day I was working an IET from Paddington to Oxford booked to call at Didcot, and was routed into platform 3. The stopper to Paddington had been brought in early by the signaller from the west end shunt, and was waiting time, about 25 minutes away, to depart for Paddington. I was over 20 late leaving Didcot because I had to sit ans wait until the stopper had departed right time.
Prototype for everything...

Cheers, Timmo

My YouTube channel

geofff

Quote from: pape_timmo on May 16, 2023, 08:59:37 AM
On GWR we run 12 car Class 387s out of Paddington to Didcot and beyond.
On the Paddington Didcot stoppers we run into platform 3 at Didcot that fits 12 on, then have to shunt to the west end and wait to return into platform 4 to commence the return stopper to Paddington, but 12 cars don't fit on platform 4, so the train is foul of the points accessing the northbound Chester line curve and the route to Oxford.
One day I was working an IET from Paddington to Oxford booked to call at Didcot, and was routed into platform 3. The stopper to Paddington had been brought in early by the signaller from the west end shunt, and was waiting time, about 25 minutes away, to depart for Paddington. I was over 20 late leaving Didcot because I had to sit ans wait until the stopper had departed right time.
Prototype for everything...

Cheers, Timmo

Hello Timmo

Nice story.

Regards

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50%