My local bus stop

Started by Bealman, December 12, 2017, 11:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: Trainfish on October 28, 2021, 10:43:44 PM
The 'pint' on the right looks like a short measure to me  :goggleeyes:

I'm guessing it's a schooner (you can tell by the way it's fore-and-aft rigged on all masts).

Bealman

That's because it is a schooner. We very rarely drink pints over here.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Train Waiting

Probably not a bad thing if it's VB though

I've not had an opportunity to try VB yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  I'm pretty certain I'll prefer it to Guinness, though.  Still, I'd much rather have a 'Babycham' with a cherry on top than a Guinness.

:beers:
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

port perran

Quote from: Train Waiting on October 29, 2021, 08:54:24 AM

Probably not a bad thing if it's VB though

I've not had an opportunity to try VB yet, but I'm looking forward to it.  I'm pretty certain I'll prefer it to Guinness, though.  Still, I'd much rather have a 'Babycham' with a cherry on top than a Guinness.

:beers:
I'm with you John, Guinnness doesn't do it for me.
"Ah...you'll change your mind once you taste it in Ireland" I was told..... Hmmmm, tasted just the same over there to me.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Bealman

Ah, Babycham with a cherry in it. Me mother used to love it. I remember as a kid if me Fatha bought her one it was a real treat.

Funny how I slip back into the dialect when I get nostalgic!  ;)

And I agree with you, Martin. People have said the same to me for decades. But when I was drinking it in Ireland, I couldn't tell the difference either.

Luckily, I like the stuff!  :beers:

Train Waiting

On a business trip to Ireland, my wonderful hosts told me the same thing.  They added that the best place to drink Guinness was in a particular pub close to the brewery.  They took me there and bought me a pint.  In my opinion it tasted even worse!  For my next pint I went back to the safety of Smithwick's!
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

railsquid

I developed a liking for darker brews in Germany, and though Guinness isn't quite the same thing, it's a taste I've acquired. Comes in handy when in one ends up in the kind of locale which have mistaken Heineken for beer but which usually have Guiness as one of the "exotic" alternatives (a situation not uncommon in parts of Asia).

Papyrus

Guinness does vary. I've never visited Ireland ( :'( ) but the best Guinness I ever had was the one served in the Irish social club in Crawley, which we used to frequent every Monday evening. If you can find it, Murphy's stout is better than most Guinness found in Britain, but I like pretty much any black beer. I keep a stock of Harviestoun's Old Engine Oil for drinking at home. Which reminds me, I must order some more... oh, look, is that Christmas I see heading towards me...

Sorry. Back to the bus stop.

Cheers,

Chris

Trainfish

I can honestly say that the best Guinness I ever tasted was when I worked in the Guinness brewery. In Kumasi, Ghana.

Pictures you say? Oh ok, here goes.

Taken in 1998 on a rather hot day from the top of the silos I was working on.

This one wasn't taken from the top of the silos

Here's me being fondled by a 'friend'. I was single at the time  :D
That's me in the middle in case you're not sure  :no:

And finally a railway related picture taken not far from the brewery and yes, it was a working railway line.

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

Few more people there than my bus stop ever sees!

Nice atomic glow over Bealman's street on the way from the bus the other night:

railsquid

Quote from: Trainfish on October 29, 2021, 10:28:57 PM
That's me in the middle in case you're not sure  :no:

Given that you're not in your usual attire there, it would indeed have been hard to be sure.  :uneasy:

railsquid

Quote from: Bealman on October 30, 2021, 05:29:11 AM

Are you sure it's not the sandstone volcano erupting?

dannyboy

Quote from: Bealman on October 30, 2021, 05:29:11 AM

I am a bit worried about those two red eyes coming towards you!
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Bealman

Another weather pic.... GrandBealette confronts a scary looking Pacific this morning (Well, Tasman Sea, really)

Graham

Looks like grandad has been teaching her about King Canute.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations