My local bus stop

Started by Bealman, December 12, 2017, 11:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Quote from: Graham on May 06, 2021, 11:40:07 PM
Not wishing to hijack the "bus stop" but thought I would bore you with another couple of pics this time the Karunda Scenic Railway, been on my bucket list for a while and managed it this trip. just a shame they didn't have the "dreamtime loco's" running yesterday.

Not exactly a bus stop, but a spectacular train stop!

Wouldn't want get off, though.... it's a long way down!

Although there's a station nearby, if I recall.

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Platy767

Quote from: Bealman on May 06, 2021, 12:46:35 AM
Cool! Yep, piccies please!  :thumbsup:

Visit today to the Railmotor Society depot at Paterson and a return trip on a 3 * CPH consist between Paterson and Dungog. Lots of gated and ungated level crossings on the line. This is along a main line, so 80kph is the speed. $10 return (about 6 quid) per adult $5 per child. About 1.5 to 2hrs round trip

Paterson at 9am on a Sunday

Inside the depot where CTH Trailer No51 is under restoration

Broadside of Railmotor 1

Railmotor 7 awaiting passengers via yellow steps

CPH Triple Treat at Dungog

Trackbed Dungog to Paterson

Paterson Station

Dungog Station

Dungog area countryside

...and I couldn't resist
Paterson Bus Shelter

TrevL

Quote from: Trainfish on May 15, 2021, 10:34:17 AM
Quote from: Bealman on May 15, 2021, 09:22:52 AM
Bus shelter still faces the wall rather than the road, though  :D ;)

It may also be so that other waiting passengers aren't subjected to this  :goggleeyes:

It's not often a bus stop has somewhere to park your bike.
Cheers, Trev.

Time flys like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Bealman

Awesome pics, Platy!  :thumbsup:

Love the bus stop at end! :beers:

Not sure about the livery on the rattlers, though.... it is reminiscent of the LNER steam railcars, though.

Platy767

Cream and Green would be quite a bit before your arrival, and probably isn't prototypical for the current machines, but I like it!

Date   CPH Colour Scheme
1923   Varnished timber finish
1927   Khaki
1928   Khaki and red
1937   Silver and blue lining
1945   Cream and green
1949   Tuscan Red and Russet Brown
1960   Indian Red and Chrome Yellow lining

Railmotor 1 and 7 have the crown lights (above the windows) removed, but #3 still has hers. I was sitting on this left side of Railmotor 1 in the first seat/window with views forward and left.

Bealman

Yet more excellent pics! Thank you!

I'm sure LNER stuff of the time was decked out like that, but I'll leave it to the collective.

Except probably most of them don't look at the bus stop thread  :-[

Post the pics on real railway discussion!  :thumbsup:

Graham

Quote from: Bealman on May 16, 2021, 06:15:14 AM

Not exactly a bus stop, but a spectacular train stop!

Wouldn't want get off, though.... it's a long way down!

Although there's a station nearby, if I recall.

quite right George, Barron River Falls station, we went early in the year hoping to see a raging torrent over the falls, only to be told the new dam up river now controls the flow to a steady stream. Looks like you borrowed my camera for your trip.
cheers
Graham

Bealman

A question for our Melbourne members.  :D

Spotted at McDonald's across the road from the bus stop last night:

So that's supposed to make me rush in and buy one?  ;)

Graham

of course, but only because the beans have been roasted in Melbourne where we are all coffee snobs (supposedly)  :P :P :P

Trainfish

You're also smooth and rich according to that.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Graham

i dont think I have ever been smooth, and as for rich, only chance would be if I won the lottery.

Train Waiting

Hello Chums

Heading off to Musselburgh for another Gala Luncheon to-day.  No road works in Dalkeith, thank goodness, so able to change to a No. 140 at the 'normal' bus stop which is, conveniently, situated in the dead centre of town.

No shelter here but a nice wall.

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

LASteve

I lived in rural Essex before we moved to the US, and I mean rural. I'd get the bus to the branch line terminus (Braintree), then to Witham for Liverpool Street and on to the Tube for my commute to Central London.

One day, the bus company decided that there wasn't enough passenger traffic at 6:30am to send a bus from Halstead to Finchingfield (Wrenton, in @rogerdB world) where it started its scheduled run down to Braintree in time for the 7:30 service to Witham. Fair enough, I was always the first passenger on the bus two miles outside Finchingfield. I'd watch the bus go past, finish shaving, kiss the family goodbye, and put on my coat and walk down to the "official" stop about 200 yards away where the road was wide enough to have a lay-by and wait for the bus which had turned around in Finchingfield.

When the closure was announced, my then wife called the bus company and agreed that they would run the service to the lay-by, pick me up, skip the out-and-back to Finchingfield and everyone was happy. The company got the subsidy for running the rural service, avoiding four miles of wasted time, the bus driver got an extra 15 minutes in bed before his shift and I didn't have to walk two miles into Wethersfield where the new proposed route started. it also meant that we didn't have to wake up the two-year-old at some ungodly hour so I could get a lift from the missus into Braintree.

After a couple of weeks of this, the driver found he could turn around safely in the entrance to a farm right next door, so he'd come by, turn around and pick me up right outside the cottage and save me the walk.

If I was taking vacation or a day off, I'd tell the driver the day before and he didn't bother with coming past Wethersfield to pick me up. This arrangement carried on for at least two years before we decamped to the USA. I remember the Halstead & Hedingham bus company with great affection.

Tell that to the kids today and they'd never believe you!

Bealman

railsquid

Once, many years ago, I needed to travel from Heathrow Airport to Princes Risborough in deepest rural Buckinghamshire, and found that there was a very convenient direct coach service which would save me the hassle of going into and back out of London late in the evening. However evidently there was not much demand for that route as at departure time I was the only passenger; the driver then confirmed where I was going, and it turned out the bus depot was in High Wycombe but the driver lived somewhere around Princes Risborough so he asked if it would be OK to go directly to the depot and drive me the rest of the way in his car to save him having to drive the coach all the way to Princes Risborough, and then back to Wycombe. Was fine by me as he was able to drop me directly at the place I was going to.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations