My local bus stop

Started by Bealman, December 12, 2017, 11:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

When I first arrived in Australia, I used to go to work on one of them. Mine was in the maroon livery of NSWR at the time.

Used to be called "The Red Rattler"
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Graham

Not wishing to hijack the "bus stop" but thought I would bore you with another couple of pics this time the Karunda Scenic Railway, been on my bucket list for a while and managed it this trip. just a shame they didn't have the "dreamtime loco's" running yesterday.

crewearpley40

Quote from: Bealman on May 06, 2021, 04:23:32 AM
When I first arrived in Australia, I used to go to work on one of them. Mine was in the maroon livery of NSWR at the time.

Used to be called "The Red Rattler"
are those railway items preserved George eg the ones you remember from 40 plus years ago?

Bealman

I think they have one at the Thirlmere railway museum, not far from here.

Bealman

Nicer view, but the bus service is crap

Train Waiting

I enjoy this thread and it's about time I made a contribution.

Unfortunately, the Dalkeith Wetherspoon's has closed due to Lidl wanting the site.  This has resulted in Musselburgh now becoming our meeting place for Gala Luncheon with lashings of fine, foaming ale.  Getting there by motor omnibus is interesting and yesterday saw my first attempt.  I had to change here and enjoyed a long stand.

The place is called Thorneybank and it is to the east of Dalkeith, in Midlothian.  Please note the May weather... and, due to the present restrictions, the Gala Luncheon was served outside.  In the background of the photograph, where the misty sky meets the misty horizon, was the route of the North British Railway's Smeaton to Hardengreen line.  They called it 'The Dalkeith Branch', even although they already had a branch line to Dalkeith.  The Smeaton to Hardengreen line did not prosper.  There were never any regular passenger services and no booked goods trains after 1913.  It closed completely during the Great War and then, amazingly, re-opened.  The LNER finally closed the line in 1934. 

With best wishes.

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bealman

Awesome!  :beers:

The seat looks a bit rugged, though  :goggleeyes:

RailGooner

Quote from: Bealman on May 14, 2021, 09:58:16 AM
Awesome!  :beers:

The seat looks a bit rugged, though  :goggleeyes:

Designed purposely to prevent the homeless from sleeping on 'em. :(

Malc

We have those sort of seats in our local bus shelter (not that I use it very often) and it is almost impossible to sit on and if you do manage it, it plays havoc with your farmers.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Platy767

...so you wait in the shelter for a bus, and when a bus appears you excitedly get up and move forward and smash you face on the wall (nice wall by the way)! If I placed a bus shelter on my layout facing a wall, everyone would giggle! Oh, well, prototype for everything.

Train Waiting

What a brilliant thread!  The nature of the 'seat' was the reason for me enjoying a long stand!

Quote from: Platy767 on May 15, 2021, 12:23:26 AM
...so you wait in the shelter for a bus, and when a bus appears you excitedly get up and move forward and smash you face on the wall (nice wall by the way)! If I placed a bus shelter on my layout facing a wall, everyone would giggle! Oh, well, prototype for everything.

Yes, indeed; a very nice wall.  It surrounds the Duke of Buccleuch's Dalkeith Palace estate and there must be over ten miles of it.  All very well maintained, of course.  The estate is now open to the public and has lovely walks and nice places for coffee or lunch.

Best wishes

John
Please visit us at www.poppingham.com

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1930s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Bealman

Bus shelter still faces the wall rather than the road, though  :D ;)

Trainfish

I could be sensible here and say that's so people in the bus stop don't get splashed by passing cars but I won't because you'll think I'm not well.

This one looks quite comfy

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

Quote from: Bealman on May 15, 2021, 09:22:52 AM
Bus shelter still faces the wall rather than the road, though  :D ;)

It may also be so that other waiting passengers aren't subjected to this  :goggleeyes:

John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Bealman

I'll go with the pink bus stop, methinks!  :worried:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations