4-6-0 thread

Started by Le Night ferry, September 09, 2023, 03:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Le Night ferry

British has lots of 4-6-0s, and also there's lots of model trains.
GWR
Saints-3d shell available.
Castles-Old Grafar and Bachfar make it
Kings-Old Grafar made it, but is repainted version of Castles?
Saints-3d shell available
Halls-Grafar and Dapol made it
Modified Halls-Nothng. Should w renumber original Halls?
Granges, Manors-Dapol made it
Counties-PD Marsh kits

LMS
Prince of Wales-Union Mills
Royal Scots-Bachfar. Maube old white metal kits.
Patriot-Bhe kits and 3d shell
Jubilee-Peco/Rivarossi and Grafar
Black 5-Grafar and Bachfar

LNER
B12-Union Mills
B17,B1-Dapol

SR
N15 King Arthur-Bhe kits
S15-Langley kits
H15-Seems like we need kitbashing

BR
4MT 4-6-0-Langley kits
5MT-Grafar/Bachfar

5AT Advanced Technology-Did someone ever tried this?

I heard KR models tried to make GWR Kings, but no news.
There will be more 4-6-0s prior 1922.
Well, why 4-4-2 Atlantic are scarce?

Newportnobby

Re Jubilee and 5MT - not sure these were ever made by GraFar but both were certainly BachFar.

martyn

Farish also make a B1, it seems a more popular model than the Dapol one.

Union Mills have now ceased trading with no more models being made.

Models of Atlantics 4-4-2s may be scare as some of the real locos had very tight clearance between their driving wheels, (eg GNR and LBSCR Atlantics) and most were withdrawn by early BR days, so limited market.

Martyn

msr

Atlantics were discussed here last year:

Re: Next Union Mills Model will be...
November 04, 2022, 05:59:25 PM
Actually there have been Atlantics produced in N, as discussed in the following thread a few years ago:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35986.msg425979#msg425979
Since then I've managed to acquire a Churchward 2900 (Saint) Class Scott Series in its early guise that has been converted from a Poole Farish Hall with a white metal Langley tender. It needed a bit of fettling but I couldn't find any early Saint plates and so it is numbered and named as 2932 'Ashton Court' using Fox Transfer etched plates which creates a nice model:

Le Night ferry

Quote from: msr on September 09, 2023, 03:56:03 PMAtlantics were discussed here last year:

Re: Next Union Mills Model will be...
November 04, 2022, 05:59:25 PM
Actually there have been Atlantics produced in N, as discussed in the following thread a few years ago:
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35986.msg425979#msg425979
Since then I've managed to acquire a Churchward 2900 (Saint) Class Scott Series in its early guise that has been converted from a Poole Farish Hall with a white metal Langley tender. It needed a bit of fettling but I couldn't find any early Saint plates and so it is numbered and named as 2932 'Ashton Court' using Fox Transfer etched plates which creates a nice model:

Old Poole chassis? Is it hard to modify?

Dorsetmike

QuoteSR
N15 King Arthur-Bhe kits
S15-Langley kits

The BHE and Langley kits are both for Urie versions, Maunsell versions need a bit of hacking, cab roofs for both kits, level over the cylinders, the Langley watercart tender oly relevant for a few S15s between mid 1930s and 50s, the BHE N15 tender can be used behind the Langley loco - you can then use the Langley watercart for some of the Drummond 4-4-0s eg T9. Urie H15 Langley loco BHE tender and a chassis with 6' drivers

What about the Nelsons?  Possible to hack a Jubilee or Scot
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Dorsetmike on September 10, 2023, 12:24:29 AM
QuoteSR
N15 King Arthur-Bhe kits
S15-Langley kits

The BHE and Langley kits are both for Urie versions, Maunsell versions need a bit of hacking, cab roofs for both kits, level over the cylinders, the Langley watercart tender oly relevant for a few S15s between mid 1930s and 50s, the BHE N15 tender can be used behind the Langley loco - you can then use the Langley watercart for some of the Drummond 4-4-0s eg T9. Urie H15 Langley loco BHE tender and a chassis with 6' drivers

What about the Nelsons?  Possible to hack a Jubilee or Scot
Lord Nelson Class had 3d shell.
I forgot it
https://www.shapeways.com/product/Q846R366F/lord-nelson-body-n-gauge
Hope to more SR stuff, like LBSCR H2 Atlantic, E2 tank engine and finescale WC/BoB(Please, Dapol!)

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 09, 2023, 03:18:06 PMRe Jubilee and 5MT - not sure these were ever made by GraFar but both were certainly BachFar.

Quote from: martyn on September 09, 2023, 03:41:28 PMFarish also make a B1, it seems a more popular model than the Dapol one.

Union Mills have now ceased trading with no more models being made.

Models of Atlantics 4-4-2s may be scare as some of the real locos had very tight clearance between their driving wheels, (eg GNR and LBSCR Atlantics) and most were withdrawn by early BR days, so limited market.

Martyn
Yeah
I made some mistake
What if Beechy Head is complete?
Is it possible to see it in n gauge?

Bealman

I've got a Dapol B1. It runs well, but there are some detail compromises compared to the Farish model.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Le Night ferry

I have few information about Farish's Kings(Repainted Poole Castle?) and seems like KR Model's Kings are cancelled.
How's about Modified Hall?

Le Night ferry

Quote from: Bealman on September 10, 2023, 08:43:03 AMI've got a Dapol B1. It runs well, but there are some detail compromises compared to the Farish model.
Farish detail is better, but for riding performance , Dapol is better than Bachfar?

Bealman

I only have the Dapol model, so can't compare it to the Farish one. My Dapol model runs very smoothly, even at very low speed. Actually it's a pleasure to watch the motion at a crawl.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

leachsprite4

Not sure what happened as I thought I replied.

The Farish Hall is the modified hall, but runs made with original hall name and numbers and with the less commonly used tender for a modified hall.

The Farish king is not a repainted Farish castle. At the very least it has a different running plate and smoke box.

But yes both are very old models.

The gap in n gauge really is southern ready to 4-6-0 locos

Le Night ferry

Quote from: leachsprite4 on September 10, 2023, 09:24:08 AMNot sure what happened as I thought I replied.

The Farish Hall is the modified hall, but runs made with original hall name and numbers and with the less commonly used tender for a modified hall.

The Farish king is not a repainted Farish castle. At the very least it has a different running plate and smoke box.

But yes both are very old models.

The gap in n gauge really is southern ready to 4-6-0 locos

Gonna purchase th later.
And replace bogies and attach handrails.
Hope to make King George V, first revival Steam Locomotove

Le Night ferry

Well' Is it okay to custimize Dapol's Hall to Modified Hall?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations