Windows versions

Started by Dorsetmike, April 20, 2019, 04:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

W10 is faster, safer and has more native apps.

If you're not bothered by these things then carry on using W7, but be aware it'll become increasingly compromised from a security perspective, and if you're doing anything involving online banking or payments that should probably concern you.

Unless you have some crucial program that you know won't work on W10 I still don't understand why people wouldn't upgrade.

nookfield

Quote from: njee20 on April 23, 2019, 11:11:10 AM
but be aware it'll become increasingly compromised from a security perspective

I disagree. Microsoft have fixed the majority of the security issues with Win7 and as less people use an operating system they become less of a target for hackers. Microsoft will still be providing it's main anti virus/security package for Win7.

As windows 10 is a continuous development, then Microsoft will still be introducing (yet to be found) security issues.

njee20

W7 will not receive new security definitions from January 14th 2020.

Hackers will continue to target it because huge numbers of enterprise customers still use it, and people will be complacent. You're rather missing the point though, unless you have no reason to upgrade why wouldn't you want a faster and more secure OS? Not wanting to use the native mail app is a very odd one.

nookfield

Win 10 is not more secure. MS are still introducing security vulnerabilities

It's only the core code of Windows 7 that is no longer being supported for home users. The Microsoft security suite will still be updated (it wasn't part of the original Win7 release). For Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise customers in Volume Licensing deals then they have the option of paying for Extended Security updates until January 2023.

njee20

Yes, and many won't, they'll take the risk, which makes it ripe for people to try and exploit vulnerabilities...

Edit: first article on a Google list: Windows 10 is twice as secure as Windows 7. Please don't think that because MSE is shared between OSs and is still being updated that means it will continue to include fixes for W7 specific vulnerabilities, that's the point, it won't.

Dorsetmike

I've had all updates off for over a year now, MS stopping things in Jan 2020 won't be noticed. I've used Thunderbird and Firefox for years, I know what I'm doing with them, changing would involve moving all my contacts etc plus possibly climbing a new learning curve, which at 85 I can do without.

I have SSDs in both PCs and a laptop so speed is adequate for my uses.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

nookfield

and if you're doing anything involving online banking or payments that should probably concern you

Why? You are not liable unless the bank can prove you have been negligent in giving out your bank details.

kardkits

Quote from: Dorsetmike on April 23, 2019, 12:35:46 PM
I've used Thunderbird and Firefox for years, I know what I'm doing with them, changing would involve moving all my contacts etc plus possibly climbing a new learning curve, which at 85 I can do without.

I converted my w7 to w10 purely for the future proofing my operating system, I also have used firefox and thunderbird and still do. I do not like w10, it is not faster than w7 only appears to be due to the order that it loads things, but it still takes bloody ages from switching on to fully ready for use. I had to disable many things not needed on w10 and installed a program that makes it look more like w7. In earlier versions of windows we had program files, w10 changed them to apps, apps used to be lite versions of programs designed for phones, I could go on for ages about all the bad bits of w10 but that is just me wanting to stay in the dark ages of w7, I think the main points are upgrading to w10 means you do not need to get a new computer and you can still use the majority of your old software on w10

njee20

Quote from: nookfield on April 23, 2019, 01:02:47 PM
and if you're doing anything involving online banking or payments that should probably concern you

Why? You are not liable unless the bank can prove you have been negligent in giving out your bank details.

Because it's not just about the pure financial side of things. It's a pain if you need to get new card details, and have all your accounts emptied because someone's set up an account in your name using some handy key logging software.

Obviously there's every chance that absolutely nothing bad will ever happen, perhaps aside from some slowing down of your computer as it's clogged with malware crap, but don't be so naive as to assume that you're somehow invincible.

By extension of your logic why use anti virus software at all?
Quote from: Dorsetmike on April 23, 2019, 12:35:46 PM
I've had all updates off for over a year now, MS stopping things in Jan 2020 won't be noticed. I've used Thunderbird and Firefox for years, I know what I'm doing with them, changing would involve moving all my contacts etc plus possibly climbing a new learning curve, which at 85 I can do without.

I have SSDs in both PCs and a laptop so speed is adequate for my uses.

Right, and Thunderbird and Firefox work perfectly with W10. I don't use the native mail app, as said you don't have to. No reason to change contacts or anything like that.

red_death

It isn't just the potential inconvenience to you either, it is that an infected, unprotected computer is likely to be used to help spread nasties to other people as well.

Like Nick I can't really understand why someone given the (free) choice wouldn't have updated from W7 to W10. I know it is different in certain ways but it works well and is quick.

BobB

We worked hard to disable windows 10 updates and to get rid of most of the rubbish that Microsoft wants us to keep and ended up with a predictable system. But the often used rational for the updates is to correct security issues. It follows that if there are no updates, the security issues remain.

We have moved over to the apple brand and software. Initial impressions are that the file handling is not as good but that most everything else is better. The big downside is initial cost but this may be offset by the software being maintainable. There's a suggestion that the hardware lasts longer but it'll take some years before I'm convinced of that. The excel spreadsheet gave Apple the cost advantage over a 5 year period (!)

njee20

Genuinely intrigued by what you mean about the software being maintainable, and how that equates to a significant cost saving?

I'm a big Apple fan; I had a first generation iPod and I'm on my 6th iPhone, but I could never get to grips with MacOS, I bought a Mac Mini to try, and just never found it as intuitive as Windows/PC.

A lot of the comments about speed/performance are because people compare a £1500 Macbook Pro to their £300 laptop, which always feels grossly unfair!

nookfield

Quote from: njee20 on April 23, 2019, 02:10:50 PM
and have all your accounts emptied because someone's set up an account in your name using some handy key logging software.

Actually they wont be able to get on as the Bank I use will only allow recognised devices to log in. If I use a different device then I get a phone call with a security code to enter.

Quote from: njee20 on April 23, 2019, 02:10:50 PM
but don't be so naive as to assume that you're somehow invincible.

I'm not, but there is more chance that my bank details will be hacked from a retailer/business that have you details stored, which has happened in the past to me (Lakeland in 2013).

Quote from: red_death on April 23, 2019, 02:22:15 PM
It isn't just the potential inconvenience to you either, it is that an infected, unprotected computer is likely to be used to help spread nasties to other people as well.

But they will all be using Win10 which is so secure and has never had any security issues   :hmmm:

njee20

Stop being childish, no one's said W10 doesn't have vulnerabilities, but it is undeniable (by everyone except you) that W10 is more secure than W7. If people want to take that risk that's of course their prerogative, but don't make out that there's no difference.

The fact you comment that MSE will keep receiving updates and therefore there's no difference makes me think you don't actually know anything about this anyway, which makes your comments more dangerous.

I agree you're more likely to have card details stolen from a retailer, but that's like saying I'm more likely to die whilst riding a motorbike so I'm no longer wearing my seatbelt in the car.

nookfield

Quote from: njee20 on April 23, 2019, 04:11:12 PM
makes me think you don't actually know anything about this anyway, which makes your comments more dangerous.

Actually I do know what I'm talking about as I spent my working career it the computing industry (including security for a major organisation 25K+ PC's when I retired) and I would have started before you was even a twinkle in your parents eye.

The article you referenced in your earlier post is flawed. The only way to produce accurate results would be to start with clean builds of both operating systems and then visit the same websites and then check to see what malware/viruses were present on the PC's. As they seem to be basing there conclusion on the average amount of instances of malware on a machine then the Win 7 machines would have a higher occurrence as they have been around a lot longer and had more time to be infected.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations