For those amongst us who remember:- "When I was a boy"!

Started by petercharlesfagg, November 09, 2014, 12:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Plastic toys in cereal packets.
Submarines and divers you put baking powder into, put them in Tizer bottles and they used to go up and down as you tightened/released the stopper :D
Red plastic models of the Guards Band etc.
Footie on the local recreation ground with jumpers for goalposts. Roll the ball through dog poo and then get your mate to head it :-X (Passing nod to Ron the Manager, there)
Getting a right rollicking from my Mum for firing a peashooter at passers by from an upstairs window (I was a deadly shot - always aimed for bare legs >:D)
Collecting really gruesome pics of the American Civil War from bubble gum packs :sick2:
When I was very young evidently I used to make mud pies and Mum always wondered where I got the water from :laugh:

colpatben

Quote from: newportnobby on November 17, 2014, 10:43:33 AM

When I was very young evidently I used to make mud pies and Mum always wondered where I got the water from :laugh:

Same place as those guys at the traffic lights who jump out to 'clean' your windscreen then scowl at you in expectation of a quid!
We never have problems, only solutions!

Current DCC Project

Involved in Bexhill West to Crowhurst

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

colpatben

School uniform, including the cap which we had to wear from the moment you left home until you arrived at school for register, and then all the way home until you reached your front door.
It seemed that here was always a prefect on the bus to report you.
My trip was between Paddington to Hammersmith by the No.7 bus. (yes the same route my mum was a clippie on). 

Current DCC Project

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

steve836

I used to love the toy dept. at Gamages, and remember hahing a car system which consisted of bendy wires, a bit like curtain wires without the plastic coating, and tin plate point and crossing sections  which the wires attached to. The wind-up cars would run along the track.
I also remember the bus nos. round where I lived. No. 11 from Liverpool St. to Holborn (where Gamages and that boring shop without a toy dept. Selfridges were), no. 38A (diesel) or 581 (trolly) from town to my house.
Strange how I can remember bus nos. from 60 years ago but can't remember the reg. no. of my last car.
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Malc

The only school uniform we had was a cap and tie. These were purchased when you were 11 and were ceremonially burnt when you entered the 6th form. You never bought another cap and the rules didn't say it had to be worn, so it was usually stuffed in a pocket. We got a new headmaster one day and he decided all pupils should wear the school cap, so there were all these 6ft tall boys wearing caps that fitted an eleven year old. They looked so ridiculous, he rescinded the order.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tdm

Ah - school days - do you remember the names of the 1st girls you went out with and where you used to take them.

When at primary school it was a girl called Rhona who once spent most of the day with at a local Church Fete in Chorley.

At Grammar school it was a girl in another class called Pat Meades who at weekends used to cycle with to Worden Park in Leyland (Newportnobby will know that place).

In the last year at Grammar school cycled to Mungrisdale in Cumbria for my Summer holdays with a classmate, working each day on his Uncle's farm to pay for our keep, and met a girl there from Manchester called Sandra Shaw who spent most of my free time with.

Didn't then have anymore girlfriends still started work.

Trainfish

Quote from: steve836 on November 17, 2014, 11:52:24 AM
...................... that boring shop without a toy dept. Selfridges, ......................

I only went there once and was disappointed that they didn't.

They didn't sell fridges at all!
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

Quote from: Tdm on November 17, 2014, 12:00:44 PM
Ah - school days - do you remember the names of the 1st girls you went out with and where you used to take them.

When at primary school it was a girl called Rhona who once spent most of the day with at a local Church Fete in Chorley.

At Grammar school it was a girl in another class called Pat Meades who at weekends used to cycle with to Worden Park in Leyland (Newportnobby will know that place).

In the last year at Grammar school cycled to Mungrisdale in Cumbria for my Summer holdays with a classmate, working each day on his Uncle's farm to pay for our keep, and met a girl there from Manchester called Sandra Shaw who spent most of my free time with.

Didn't then have anymore girlfriends still started work.

I went out with Sarah Duncan much to her brother Ian's disgust as he was in my class and she was a year younger, maybe 2. I think I was 13 at the time. Not sure I actually took her anywhere but we used to hold hands a lot. Then at 15 I wanted to go out with Janet Brown but there was no way I could do that with my name being John. Janet and John just wasn't going to happen although someone did write a book or 2 about us.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

steve836

Quote from: Trainfish on November 17, 2014, 12:35:59 PM
...................... that boring shop without a toy dept. Selfridges, ......................

I only went there once and was disappointed that they didn't.

I got taken there regularly by my mum who liked the place, I could never understand why! She used to buy clothes and other boring stuff.

They didn't sell fridges at all!
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

colpatben

I also remember the bus nos. round where I lived. No. 11 from Liverpool St.

And close to the Houndsditch Warehouse, an Aladins cave where you could buy a bike for 10 bob down and half a crown a week.

QuoteStrange how I can remember bus nos. from 60 years ago but can't remember the reg. no. of my last car.
Probably because mobility scooters don't need number plates. (No offence meant). :smiley-laughing:

Current DCC Project

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

colpatben

Quote from: Malc on November 17, 2014, 11:57:41 AM
The only school uniform we had was a cap and tie. These were purchased when you were 11 and were ceremonially burnt when you entered the 6th form.

Mine went over Hammersmith bridge at the end of fifth year as we changed from Green blazers to Black (and no cap) on entering sixth form.

Current DCC Project

Now Sold Ensbourne

Colin

Trainfish

John

<*))))><

Newportnobby

Quote from: Malc on November 17, 2014, 11:57:41 AM
The only school uniform we had was a cap and tie.

OMG! That evinces a scary image :goggleeyes:

We had to wear a school cap in the 1st year of the Grammar so, naturally, when visiting the boys toilets anyone from the years above would snatch the cap off your head and throw it in the urinal :'(

Quote from: Tdm on November 17, 2014, 12:00:44 PM

Laura Youlton was her name. I was 13 and had nothing else to wear other than school uniform. Took her trainspotting to Bletchley station......................wonder why she dumped me ???

Malc

My dad has shares in Brylcreme in those days. We had it delivered in tanker loads, so by the time we burned our school caps, they went up like napalm.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

talisman56

Quote from: colpatben on November 17, 2014, 11:04:20 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on November 17, 2014, 10:43:33 AM

Same place as those guys at the traffic lights who jump out to 'clean' your windscreen then scowl at you in expectation of a quid!

I found that an 'accidentally-on-purpose' activation of the windscreen wipers tended to dissuade the dead bug rearrangers at traffic lights...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations