Maintenance Trains help

Started by HellsGuardian316, March 06, 2012, 02:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HellsGuardian316

Hi there

I pondered for a long time on wether to buy the Tomix track cleaner or make my own. Then saw this thread http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=957.msg50375#msg50375 and thought I'd go down this route with an old wagon. This got me thinking about making my own rake of maintenance wagons which is something I know little about.

So I was just wondering if any of you have your own rakes both modern and old you'd be willing to share to give me some idea's. So far the only idea I have is to use one of my 0-6-0 steam loco's or maybe my Class 25 in green to haul several open and closed topped wagons and throw an assortment of odds and ends like cut up lengths of old rail and such.

I've also seen a tamper available in n gauge for the high price of £151.50 in white as it was from Japan (and no I couldn't read the name  :smiley-laughing:) But its my understanding that tampers usually have a rake of closed topped coaches in yellow. I mention this because thats the only example of a modern maintenance train I know of with an older version proberly being much like my former example.

Many thanks if anyone can help  :beers:

EDIT: Its primarily UK versions I'm after, but anyone has a foreign version then by all means. If you've seen my version of a military train then you'd know I don't mind where it comes from as long as it looks good  :thumbsup:

EDIT2: Bad spelling

bluedepot

hi,

are you going to add hardboard or a track rubber under the wagon???? are you going to put weights on the wagon???

is that going to be any better than something like this? 

http://www.modellers-mecca.co.uk/gaugemaster/2268-gm39-track-cleaning-pads-n-gauge-clip-on-to-wagon-axles.html

the tomix wagon does have a hoover... but it's expensive so not sure it's worth the price...

i've not tried either tomix wagon, clip on pads or any other cleaning wagon ... i just use a rubber, IPA or paper / card...

to be honest, unless you have a massive layout and can't get round to clean all the track i wouldn't bother with any of these.

cheers

tim

dodger

There are basically three types of civil engineering maintenance trains, spoil train, ballast train and renewals train. The number of wagons would be dictated by the amount of work to be carried out on site. Motive power would be any suitable frieght of mixed traffic locomotive.

The spoil train usually consisted of 4 wheel open wagons which were either purpose built engineering wagons or modified revenue service open wagons.

The ballast trains were always formed with 4 wheel or bogied hopper wagons often with a shark plough van in the consist.

Renewals trains could either carry rails in 60' lengths , 60' track panels or sleepers  on flat wagons. The wagons were generally Salmon or Sturgeon flat wagons. Special trains also carried long welded rail in 300' or 600' lengths, they had a roller wagon at one end to allow the rails to be drawn off. The Southern region used Marlin and Manta wagons converted from withdrawn EMU underframes for rail trains. Rail was collected from site on Salmon or Sturgeon Wagons fitted with 2 side loading lightweight cranes.

Tamping machines were always self-propelled to and from site, in fact until 1971 no tamping machine was fitted with couplings. The later machines with coupling and buffers did run around coupled to a ballast regulator.

Other machines were Ballast Cleaners to remove ballast from under the track, riddle it and return any usable ballast to the track. Any rejected ballast and dirt was loaded directly to the spoil wagons on the adjacent track. Single or twin jib cranes were used to load or unload rail panels or sleepers from the renewals train. These three types of machine ran with a mess coach or van for staff accomodation  and would be hauled to site as part of an engineering train.

Since the 1980's there has been a move away from using wagons for engineering work to purpose built trains, e.g. LWRT rail trains, High Output Reballasting Systems and Track Renewals Trains. Although the latter 2 only went into full scale production a few years ago.

There are very few models available  for the machines used by the civil engineer. Those that are generally based on european machines and not suitable for british layouts.

HellsGuardian316

Many thanks for all that info, was very informative and I think I might just make an old fashion version or simply just make one up as the modern items aren't really what I'm after from what it seems. But at least now I know  :thumbsup:

Yes, I plan to attach hardboard to the underside of a wagon as shown in the link in my first post. I'm not sure wether the wagon will require some extra weight or not so will look into that. I can easily try it without and if I find it derailing then add some weight and try it that way.

Paul B

Or of course if you are like me and like the Tomix track cleaner, but didn't think that the standard finish of blue with "TOMIX" in big white letters would look good with a British Rail green diesel pulling it, you could always get in touch with Electra Graphics and get some vinyl sides -

(odd - don't know why the pic comes out all elongated - click on it and it looks how it should - honest!  ??? )
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

HellsGuardian316

Must admit that does look pretty nifty  :thumbsup:

Paul B

Thanks - I must get some better matt varnish though as it is still a little shiny for my liking!
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

kiwi1941

Quote from: Paul B on March 08, 2012, 08:57:39 PM
you could always get in touch with Electra Graphics and get some vinyl sides

That's a good idea - Captain Electra are you watching? LMS livery would be good too. Brian
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty." Wendell Phillips.

Eternal paranoia is the price of liberty: vigilance is not enough. Len Deighton.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations