Groundworks payment

Started by Newportnobby, April 04, 2024, 12:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

I need to have some groundworks done. Firstly I can't believe how many just don't turn up, don't return calls etc.
Finally I got someone to call round this morning and have been verbally quoted £3200 cash or £4000 inc VAT. Regardless which way I go I will get a written quote and final invoice.
Personally I don't care what the builder does with their accounts, but are there any pitfalls in paying cash? What would you do?
Thanks

Browning 9mm

personally, I'd go with the vat inclusive, ok it's more, but no comeback if he doesn't pay the vat.

just a thought

Ali Smith

£3200 +VAT@20% is £3840.  I imagine that a builder would be wary about issuing a written quotation that could be read as showing a willingness to defraud HMRC.
If there is any dispute about the work afterwards you will be much better off if everything is above board. I recall you have met some less than impressive tradesmen in the past.

Papyrus

There is absolutely no problem with paying by cash - it's legal tender after all. Likewise how he does his accounts is up to him. It is not your responsibility to check whether he pays his VAT. Go with whatever feels good.

Cheers,

Chris

dannyboy

To a certain extent, I agree with Chris, but you might find the tradesman is reluctant to issue you with any paperwork if you pay him in cash.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Southerngooner

I'd never pay cash without an invoice. All of the builders we used when moving here gave me invoices and were happy to get paid online. Only one asked if I'd pay cash when we had our patio done, and his was the least well-thought through of the quotes we got. Having been in and around the industry all my life I'd much rather pay a little more for a good builder than get caught out. This has proved fine for me across whatever we've done.

Just remember, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys...... I'd hope any builder that valued their own skills would be reputable enough to go through the proper processes.

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

keithbythe sea

It sounds to me as if he turned up on horseback.  :hmmm:

Is he on checkatrade or does he have any online reviews?

If you pay cash and he does then put it through his books and pays the vat, he's doing the job for about £2600.  :thumbsdown:

Tread very carefully Mick.

Bealman

Mrs B just made a A$1000 cash payment to a guy for a new kitchen skylight and is not happy with his response time.

He's a pommy too, as she constantly reminds me  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

emjaybee

What exactly are you having done Mick?

How many people are going to be doing the job?

Will it require a mini-digger or other large machinery?

Have you had other quotes?

ALWAYS get a detailed written quote.
ALWAYS tell them you want an invoice.
ALWAYS pay be cheque/bank transfer.

You really don't want to be handing over that kind of cash.

We recently had someone in our village ripped off horribly, it was very upsetting all round.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Newportnobby

Thanks to all who have responded. The company is certainly no cowboy. If anyone wants to check them out they are.
We Clear Blockages
based in Preston.
As I don't do Farcebook a friend has checked out those reviews for me
I've had their quote for £3200 + VAT = £3840 and just have a couple of questions to be answered.
I told them from the start I wanted a written quote and written final invoice.
In answer to @emjaybee the full details of their operation is unknown but he said it would be a couple or more blokes for 4 days. No major plant involved as it's in my rear garden. All remedial work done "to perfection".
More news as it comes off the teleprinter................

Newportnobby

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 05, 2024, 09:57:13 AMMore news as it comes off the teleprinter................

.........and I've accepted the price inc VAT. Payment is on satisfactory completion of the job which it wouldn't have been if I'd gone the cash route. I'm not that daft, contrary to popular belief.
Thanks again for responses made

emjaybee

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 05, 2024, 09:57:13 AMThanks to all who have responded. The company is certainly no cowboy. If anyone wants to check them out they are.
We Clear Blockages
based in Preston.
As I don't do Farcebook a friend has checked out those reviews for me
I've had their quote for £3200 + VAT = £3840 and just have a couple of questions to be answered.
I told them from the start I wanted a written quote and written final invoice.
In answer to @emjaybee the full details of their operation is unknown but he said it would be a couple or more blokes for 4 days. No major plant involved as it's in my rear garden. All remedial work done "to perfection".
More news as it comes off the teleprinter................

Doesn't sound too bad Mick. Hope it sorts out whatever issue you have.
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Trainfish

Sounds like he has a blockage in his rear. It's a common issue at his age I'm told.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Newportnobby

I'm regular every morning at 7.30
Trouble is, I don't get up until 8

Browning 9mm

that is what is known as an early morning alarm call

OH  :poop:  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23