Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tdm

Two reasons to be happy today -

1) The storm is over and the Sun is out again.
2) The postman just delivered a parcel from Hattons containing some bargain
     weathered rolling stock items and some scenery items (see photos)

Quiz question - what do you think the 2 black coloured items partially shown in the background in the 2nd 2 pics top left are? I brought them back from the U.K. with me and they are not model railway items, but are transport related.

railsquid

Quote from: Tdm on October 20, 2014, 03:13:18 PM
Quiz question - what do you think the 2 black coloured items partially shown in the background in the 2nd 2 pics top left are? I brought them back from the U.K. with me and they are not model railway items, but are transport related.

Some sort of Triumph parts?

Ditape

Diane Tape

Tdm

Quote from: Ditape on October 20, 2014, 04:57:44 PM
Triumph Stag sun visors?

Hit the nail on the head, the mirror had broken on my old ones, and the foam interior was crumbling, so picked up a new pair at James Paddocks in Chester where I get most of my Stag parts.

When I am not over in Chester they quite happily post parts out to me and have Clients all over the World, not that I need new parts very often. I like visiting Chester (where my son & his family live), but I also like Chelmsford where my daughter and her family live. Both have a choice of Airports half an hour to 45 minutes away which makes both places easy to get to.

railsquid

From the UK trip:

Now in Madrid, model shop not too far from the hotel located  :goggleeyes:

Claude Dreyfus

Crikey, that's a haul and a half!  :goggleeyes:

That is going to be a sizable British rail museum at Chez Squid!

Bealman

Geez mate, are you swimming' back to Japan?  ;D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tdm

Railsquid obviously had a "YEN" for buying things whilst he was over.  :D

railsquid

Just concluding some unfinished business from my teenage years, albeit in N rather than OO, which is a good thing 'cos otherwise I'd probably have to lay my own OO track across Siberia to transport the haul back.

Not that I've won the lottery or anything, but I've been fairly frugal over the last few years, and there's a teensy bit of spare cash sitting round not making anyone happy except the banks, and you only live once and all that...

(The 5MT and crimson/cream coaches were kindly converted into an early Christmas present by my parents, as they were chuffed (hah) that I still had the OO original present from way back).

Fortunately I'm not all that in to Spanish or German trains (especially the prices) so I don't anticipate much further luggage growth (though I'm intending to look for scenic stuff in Germany).

Claude Dreyfus

Yes, but Kato/Hobby Train produced a RENFE class 251 electric - basically a European EF66

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=198264

railsquid

Quote from: Claude Dreyfus on October 21, 2014, 12:23:50 PM
Yes, but Kato/Hobby Train produced a RENFE class 251 electric - basically a European EF66

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=198264
Yes, I saw that while browsing the website of a model shop I found and suspected it might be related...  but I'd rather go for the original Japanese version.

jivebunny

Just received a parcel from The Model Centre in Whitby, very nice  :) - and the Renfe theme continues in the background  :D

JB

mickjsg

Dapol class 122 Network Rail livery (looks a lot better than the photos on Kernow: http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/38737/ND209Z_Dapol_Class_122_Single_Car_DMU_number_960015 What isn't made clear from the kernow pics is that it's a more golden yellow, and it's matte.

Also class 52 Western Firebrand, with 3 maroon Collett coaches, bought in a set from Osborns.
The brake van and grain hopper were both presents from my better half. :)

austinbob

Went to my favourite Model Railway shop today (Alton Model Railways in Alton Hampshire - and no I don't have shares in this shop!) to look at their second hand N gauge items. Fell in love with an old Farish Duchess 46244 -King George VI. Beautiful condition (very well cared for or almost unused - not sure which). Runs like a dream - quiet and smooth. Never owned an early Farish loco before. Impressed by the simplicity and the build quality!!

The overall feel of the loco is just like the prototype. However, being nitpicking, the driving wheels look too small and the loco has the classic tiny wheels of old Farish models on the front pony truck.

I'm in two minds as to whether to leave this wonderful model alone or upgrade it to look more realistic.

Has anyone tried to upgrade this loco to more modern standards. For example

Larger front bogie wheels
front bogie coupling

Is the chassis the same as for the old Poole Jubilee - as the wheels are quite small - probably not possible to increase size of driving wheels.

The more I think about it - it would be better to leave well alone!!

Your views and advice appreciated

Bob Austin
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations