BR MK1 Maroon coaches - typical rake help please

Started by Dalek, May 03, 2023, 02:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalek

So following on from the Farish announcement this morning.

If i wanted to run a rake of BR MK1 Maroon coaches, could somebody please help me with what would be generally typically in a formation of 5 or 7 coaches ?

This is what was announced today

TSO E4472
TSO M4440
SK M25749
SK M25745
CK E15136
CK SC15148
RMB restaurant mini buffet
BSK
BG

List nicked from @Skyline2uk post on the announcement  :thumbsup:

Thanks Craig

Skyline2uk

QuoteThis is what was announced today

TSO E4472
TSO M4440
SK M25749
SK M25745
CK E15136
CK SC15148
RMB restaurant mini buffet
BSK
BG

List nicked from @Skyline2uk post on the announcement  :thumbsup:

Thank you for the tag and you are welcome, it's why I posted.

Good luck recreating your chosen rake, it's nice we are being enabled to do so (albeit at quite a price  :worried:)

Skyline2uk

martyn

@Dalek

Combinations are numerous, but here are a few from the Liverpool St Norwich line;

SK* SK* BSK SK CK SK SK BSK RMB       * CERTAIN DAYS ONLY

SK SK TSO BSK TSO CK SK

BSK TSO CK TSO RB* CK TSO BSK        * Gresley-from Dapol. 2 x CK substituted for FK and TSO

GUV* GUV* BSK SK CK BSK             * substitute with BG

BSK CK CK CK RB* TSO TSO BSK      * substitute with RMB

HTH

Martyn

nabber

It depends to some extent on where you're modelling. For Midland region, some common formations would be BSK/SK/CK/BSK or BSK/SK/CK/CK/SK/BSK.
For variety you could add 1-2 extra SK, or swap them for TSO, or add a BG on one end, or RMB in the middle somewhere - all of those would be reasonable choices in your 5-7 coach length.

Neil

Dalek

Thanks guys, I'm not sure what all the designations mean, i know TSO is tourist open but i have no idea what that actually means. BSK is Brake Second or something like that? BG is brake gangway, coaching stock is not my strong point.
That Hattons link is quite good though  :thumbsup:

Craig

martyn

The list of abbreviations has been on the Forum before, but;

BSK-Brake Second Corridor

TSO-Tourist second open. the Tourist was I think to designate 64 seats instead of 48 seats in the corridor.

BG-Brake gangway, ie full brake (no passenger accommodation)

SK-second corridor. The TSO and SK had the same external appearance, they differed internally.

FK-First corridor

CK-corridor composite

RMB-Restaurant miniature buffet.

GUV-General Utility van; non-corridor, no passenger accommodation.

Basically,
F=first
S=second This was T=Third until 1956 (?))
B=brake
C=composite
R=Restaurant
B=buffet.
K=corridor coach.
U=unclassified, used for some catering vehicles as part of the classification.

For a fuller article see;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_coach_type_codes

Martyn

Dalek

crewearpley40

Craig. Which region are you planning to model ? Or just generally like a rake of those lovely maroon coaches ?

I may have some photos somewhere reason I was asking. Chris

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_corporate_liveries

http://www.hall-royd-junction.co.uk/Hall_Royd_Model/layout_35.html

Steven B

Quote from: Dalek on May 03, 2023, 02:04:29 PM
If i wanted to run a rake of BR MK1 Maroon coaches, could somebody please help me with what would be generally typically in a formation of 5 or 7 coaches ?

Which region?
Express or secondary passenger?
To/From London or cross country?

The different regions tended to make up rakes slightly differently. The suggestion of:
BSK SK CK CK SK BSK for the Midland might become
BSK CK SK SK CK BSK in the Eastern region for example.

Add more SK for longer rakes. Remove an CK for a shorter one.

If you can get hold of BCK or FK second hand (or potential Autumn release) your options increase, but again there was plenty of regional variations if that's of interest..

Steven B.

PLD

As others have said, it really depends on the type of service, length of journey and location. As ever, research on your specific location and period is the only way to ensure accuracy.

For a generic rake though, there are a few general rules to follow and you won't be far off:
Brakes - every train must have at least one. A 5 coach set might have only one (modellers commonly put at the end but could be anywhere in the rake). A 7 coach set more likely 2, usually one at each end of the rake.
In steam days on some routes there were rules about how many vehicles could be after the last brake, but it wasn't universal.
Catering - (buffet, dining) unlikely in a 5 coach set. Buffet more likely in a 7 car set, especially if a longer distance service. Diners possibly if a business orientated commuter service.
First class provision - other than some short distance suburban services, every train would have some. The proportion varied widely but sets with more First than Second class were very rare.
Non-passenger vehicles (BG, GUV etc) - unlikely in a 5 or 7 coach set except where there was a particular need for passenger excess luggage such as holiday destinations and major ports.

Dalek

I'm not modelling a particular location just era specific to end of steam start of diesels, a bit of rule 1 but following those rough guidelines.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations