The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bikeracer on November 11, 2012, 03:55:42 PM
I'm all for Remembrance Day and all it entails and I always buy a poppy.
However I was angry that the BBC on the red button channel cut the Moto 2 race off with three laps to go so they could duplicate what was being shown on BBC 1 at the same time.

Allan

Totally agree, Allan. That seriously teed me off too. Everyone who knows me will say I the utmost respect for Remembrance Sunday, but for the sake of another 5-10 minutes would it have hurt? Having said that, the red button is a total lottery half the time :veryangry:
I bet it never even crossed someone's feeble mind at the Beeb to finish the race off on Beeb 2 instead of showing a repeat of Flog It. Grrrrr

Trainfish

Was it shown live? If so maybe they should have started the race earlier to give everyone including riders, spectators etc the chance to stop and pay their respects too. Then again it's the BBC, they are a law unto themselves.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Sprintex

In the same way they put Saturday Kitchen Best Bites on half an hour earlier this morning just so they could have the 2 minutes silence at 11:00  >:(

Unnecessary in my opinion as BBC1 was showing the whole Cenotaph thing live anyway!

Paul

Tank

Quote from: Sprintex on November 11, 2012, 06:02:24 PM
In the same way they put Saturday Kitchen Best Bites on half an hour earlier this morning just so they could have the 2 minutes silence at 11:00  >:(

Unnecessary in my opinion as BBC1 was showing the whole Cenotaph thing live anyway!

Paul

With all respect, I couldn't disagree more!  This is one thing that I'm more than happy to have my licence fee go towards, and can quite happily watch the whole ceremony.  I almost feel it a duty to either watch, or attend.  Each to their own though.  :)

I remember years ago when I worked in a supermarket, we had our two minutes of silence.  Most customers stood still and were quiet.  It was customer policy to have one till left open so that anyone who didn't agree with the silence could carry on shopping.  Very disrespectful to the person on the checkout, as well as everyone else hearing the 'beeps' in my view. :veryangry:

MikeDunn

Damn heating/hot water systems acting up :(  Boiler is firing - but no hot water out of it into the system at all ...  Argh !  :veryangry:

H

Quote from: Tank on November 11, 2012, 07:29:06 PM
Quote from: Sprintex on November 11, 2012, 06:02:24 PM

With all respect, I couldn't disagree more!  This is one thing that I'm more than happy to have my licence fee go towards, and can quite happily watch the whole ceremony.  I almost feel it a duty to either watch, or attend.  Each to their own though.  :)

I agree with you Tank and perhaps two minutes silence should be mandatory. Two minutes is not much to give in thought and respect just once a year for all those who died in wars.

H.

MinZaPint

Where's the thank you button on this thread, absolutely agree with Tank & H, didn't get to the Poole show until this afternoon this year but last year they observed the silence and to the credit of all they all stood in silence including the children. I went to Flanders this year, when you see all the headstones and go to the museum and the Menin Gate in Ypres where the names of 54,896 British & Commonwealth soldiers whose remains could not be found are recorded you would have to very heartless not to be moved.
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

Sprintex

I'm not complaining about what was on BBC1, each to their own as you say and I know many would have watched the ceremony, licence fee well spent I say :) However . . .

Quote from: H on November 11, 2012, 07:51:12 PM
I agree with you Tank and perhaps two minutes silence should be mandatory. Two minutes is not much to give in thought and respect just once a year for all those who died in wars.

. . . NOTHING of this nature should be mandatory, we live in a democracy not a dictatorship ;) We should all have the choice to remember in our own way, not be told when and where. Personally I don't need to remain silent when told to to appreciate what was given so we can continue to enjoy that democracy  ;)

Paul

EtchedPixels

Quote from: H on November 11, 2012, 07:51:12 PM

H.

Of course making it mandatory would

a) devalue it entirely
b) be a complete travesty of what they died for - freedom

Tutting and staring works far better.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Sprintex

Quote from: MinZaPint on November 11, 2012, 08:09:28 PM
Where's the thank you button on this thread,

Good question actually, there don't appear to be any?  ???

Paul

MinZaPint

Absolutely agree with EP  :thankyousign:
Cogito Sumere potum alterum

H

Quote from: Sprintex on November 11, 2012, 08:10:52 PM

. . . . not be told when and where. Personally I don't need to remain silent when told . . .   

The 'when' is in remembrance of when the guns fell silent at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month - seems not much to honour the dead at that time with a little silent thought and reflection. It's not a matter of being told but demonstrating some civility and courtesy to others. Obviously we need to tut and stare at people like you who are noisy at that time.

H.

scotsoft

One Thank You button restored  ;)

Surely if you are tutting and staring at noisy people, you are defeating the object  :doh:

cheers John.

Kipper

My old office always rang a bell at 11.00, and anyone at work was REQUIRED to stop what they were doing and have two minutes silence. All phones were ignored, from a coupe of minutes before 11.00, and ignored if they rang. If you were stuck in a long phone conversation, you had to explain and put the phone down on the desk, and only carry on the conversation after the two minutes were up. No one complained, and everyone respected the silence.

Newportnobby

Even if I'm out in the car I always find somewhere to park up before 11 a.m., and I have observed I'm not alone in this. However, the one thing I think should be mandatory is respect for others point of view.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations