(Late) Hornby Arnold Brighton Belle. Really in need of some help.

Started by Willdobbo, February 10, 2016, 10:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willdobbo

Hello All.

I am rather in need of some assistance as my brand new brighton belle isnt running with my EZ command dcc controller. I have only recently returned to model railways, and i know this may be daft but does the fact the undercarriage clearly says on the bottom 12v and the ez command is a 16v controller have some implications with me running this loco? Will my new z21 fix this issue?

Basically the controller shorts and does its 'mental flashy thing'

Best regards to any possible saviour.

Will

red_death

Have you put DCC decoders in it? Sorry if that seems a dumb question but you have a DCC controller not a DC controller.

Cheers, Mike

Willdobbo

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your message.

I have tried two, without much joy. At one point it did move but it wouldnt really respond to the controller altering speed and seemed to have no lower range.

Will

red_death

Again apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs!

A few basics:

- does the unit run OK on DC? (Have you got a DC controller to test it and run it in? Something cheap like the basic DC controller that comes with Farish starter sets is good)
- what DCC decoders are you using?
- do you have alternative makes of DCC decoder you could try?

The z21 should be much more capable than the EZ Command but it might not get to the root of your problem with the BB.

Cheers, Mike

woodbury22uk

Did you changeover the position of the jumper wire on the circuit board to the DCC position?
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Willdobbo

Yes I had read that in another post before I bought the loco coaches etc. I'm taking it to my local shop tomorrow to test it on their track in both dc and dcc. At least then I'll know if it truly is buggered, and/or if the controller is in any way to blame. Feel really disappointed as everything had been going rather well.

Willdobbo

I had tried a gauge master 6 pin and also previously another from eBay. Hornby appear to be having a massive financial meltdown so I can't imagine helping me is going to be top of their agenda!

Willdobbo

Thank you, by the way for your help. I am however, determined to get it running and once my layout is in some kind of state worthy of being seen I shall report back.

Willdobbo

Thank you, by the way for your help. I am however, determined to get it running and once my layout is in some kind of state worthy of being seen I shall report back.

Chetcombe

Quote from: Willdobbo on February 12, 2016, 12:17:23 AM
Yes I had read that in another post before I bought the loco coaches etc. I'm taking it to my local shop tomorrow to test it on their track in both dc and dcc. At least then I'll know if it truly is buggered, and/or if the controller is in any way to blame. Feel really disappointed as everything had been going rather well.

This sound like your best plan of action. The only other suggestion I have is to turn the 6 pin decoder you have used upside down and see if that makes a difference. I found the Hornby/Arnold paperwork unclear as to which pin was #1 or #6

Good luck!
Mike

See my layout here Chetcombe
Videos of Chetcombe on YouTube

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations