The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

St Patrick's Day? Not at my watering hole....

Figtree bowing club, my preferred place of refreshment, went to a lot of trouble on Sunday putting up flags and Guinness promo material in readiness for today (buy a Guinness win tee shirts, etc).

Stuck me head in at lunchtime, thinking I'd have one as I'm quite partial to it, only to find half the bar (the part with the Guiness) being refurbished!

I know the directors of this club personally and to say they have their heads buried in the sand is understatement. Couldn't run a chook raffle.

The barmaid said she'd put some green food colouring in me Victoria Bitter to make up for it - I can't repeat my reply here.

Have a Guinness for me, folks!  :pint:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

talisman56

Oh, the annual let's celebrate the Irish national saint day, even though none of our genes has been anywhere near the emerald isle. Bar extensions, temporary music licences, the works all granted by the local council licencing committee.

Try and do that for April 23rd* and you get ignored, applications rejected and told off for being too nationalistic...  :veryangry: :veryangry:

*Feast day of St George, the national saint of England, for the uninitiated...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

ParkeNd

I can't understand the compulsion either for people to stick "Wales" stickers on their cars. No- one sticks England stickers on them.

Trainfish

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 17, 2014, 10:01:04 AM
I can't understand the compulsion either for people to stick "Wales" stickers on their cars.

I think it's a 3rd world thing. The Welsh do it. The Scots do it. The Cornish do it.............. :D

I'll be off now then.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Kipper

I was told many years ago, by a Welsh mate, that putting a Wales sticker on the rear of your car is a sure way to avoid the Welsh Nats setting it alight, when parked outside your holiday cottage in the Brecon Beacons or Snowdonia. I think the locals had a code, where the sticker was stuck, to show the difference between a true Welshman's car, and a tourist's!

scotsoft

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 17, 2014, 10:01:04 AM
No- one sticks England stickers on them.

That does not surprise me, there is very little to be proud of  >:D

Agrippa

Some Jocks put Ecosse stickers on their cars. Don't know why .
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Newportnobby

Quote from: Agrippa on March 17, 2014, 08:31:57 PM
Some Jocks put Ecosse stickers on their cars. Don't know why .

I can only assume they have more affinity with the French than the English :hmmm:

Bealman

None of it's as bad as the brain-dead Aussies that drive around here with little stick figures of "My Family" on the windows of their huge four-wheel drive vehicles, which are used for the sole purpose of dropping and picking their kids up from school and getting mum to her coffee appointment.  :veryangry: :veryangry:

Bikeracer

Quote from: scotsoft on March 17, 2014, 08:23:55 PM

That does not surprise me, there is very little to be proud of  >:D

Dunno, Hadrians wall did its job okay :D

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

Bealman

Agrippa

Quote from: Bikeracer on March 17, 2014, 10:25:53 PM

Allan

Reminds me of a trip one spring walking Hadrian's wall , very pleasant . Called into a pub at Hexham,the publican asked what we'd been doing and one of my pals said we'd been walking on Hadrian's wall.

The publican then said (Geordie accent) " Weel ah hope yiv squeered it wi' Hadrian"

Great trip and great countryside.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Bealman

As a Geordie ex-pat, I salute your excellent Geordie accent, Sir!  ;D

scotsoft

Quote from: Bikeracer on March 17, 2014, 10:25:53 PM

Allan

That was the Romans who built that because they were terrified of the Scots  :D

ParkeNd

Quote from: Kipper on March 17, 2014, 08:17:10 PM
I was told many years ago, by a Welsh mate, that putting a Wales sticker on the rear of your car is a sure way to avoid the Welsh Nats setting it alight, when parked outside your holiday cottage in the Brecon Beacons or Snowdonia. I think the locals had a code, where the sticker was stuck, to show the difference between a true Welshman's car, and a tourist's!

When I worked in Merthyr for six years I learned by visiting the same petrol station about every four days to fill up my company car, that there are special Welsh cars. They have only a one pint fuel tank - so Taff can stop at the petrol station every day to buy 50p of petrol and £10 of fags. Whilst I put 60 litres in the tank five or six such cars would arrive and then leave.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations